Car Advice for Son at Ft Bragg

MaverickNH

NES Member
My son, 21, Army Infantry Airborne 82nd Red Falcons, is coming back from deployment soon and will come home to NH for leave. He’s 2yr in this Spring on a 3yr hitch - dunno if he plans to re-up yet.

He wants to buy a car and a gun. The gun thing, I can figure. I’ll give him a gun, do an FFL transfer and he can do the paperwork there. I think he knows about the off-base housing requirement to keep a personal handgun, local licensing, etc.

He lost his DL in a strip-club in Germany 🙄, so we’ll get a renewal here in NH when he’s back. My wife is a little skeptical about the car thing but he’s his own man now, so I just want to offer assistance and recommendations.

He’d have to drive it back to NC. He wants to spend $10k on a car - if we do a private sale and have our local mechanic check it over, it might make it back to NC. If his DL and "home address" is still our home in NH, how does car license/registration work for military at Ft Bragg? Will he have to register it there, pay taxes, get a NC DL, etc? I’m sure whatever insurance he gets will need to know he’s military in NC.

I’m not sure if it’s better for him to buy a car in NC but I’m sure the locals prey on young soldiers like him. He’s getting a older and a bit wiser but I’d like to spare him making too many mistakes 😉

My son is at Ft Bragg, he's on his 3rd vehicle, just turned 21.
Still has his mass license and registers in NC as he's military. He just sold his truck and bought a car here and left last week, a phone call to NC motor vehicle dept.?was all he needed to legally drive it back

I’m not sure if it’s better for him to buy a car in NC but I’m sure the locals prey on young soldiers like him. He’s getting a older and a bit wiser but I’d like to spare him making too many mistakes 😉

Probably is less, but any car dealer outside of a base is red flag worthy like you said.
Theres provisions in most states r.m.v rules and regs for .mil. I had a Mass lic but Tenn registration.

10 grand may go further down there, but he'd have to look further than the front gate to find it.

He doesn't need an NC DL, although it does make it easier to buy firearms there. The military has a lot of flexibility as to where they register their vehicles. I bought my Tacoma in 2008 in LA--since then I have lived in LA(twice), NC, TX, IN, AK, and now NH. It has only had an LA, AK, and NH plate on it. During that time I only had an AK, NC, and now NH DL.

I bought my first new truck in Fayetteville--from a dealer on Yadkin with no shenanigans. Registering there with the linked insurance was a pain in the dick back in 93, but may have gotten easier. The dealer did all that for me anyways-I did have to hunt around for insurance. I didched my NC reg as soon as I could. I would buy a used car from anyone but a reputable dealer, and preferably away from post. Try up in Cary or Raleigh-maybe Charlotte. OR ask someone in his platoon with at least a set of master wings for a recommendation--usually a better chance of having more experience at Bragg.. Weigh that recommendation off of his knowledge of their ride and his life experiences-divorces, crimes, etc. :)

I do know some folks that bought cars from the Fayetteville Carmax with good experiences. Ditto the Toyota down Skibo.

All dated info of course--I may have been stationed at Bragg four different times, but I was last there in 2015.

OOOOPS-crap. Typed that out and then re-read your post. No issue with buying/registering in NH and keeping it registered in NH. He should try PCSing to AK and registering it there though--no inspection. My 2008 has only been inspected twice-once in LA when I drove it off the lot and once in August when I registered it in NH.

$10k is a tough area
All I can say is
Do not by a domestic branded car.
I would check out the best recourse for any buyer protection. Would suck to buy a NH car drive down and something go wrong.
I think cars that are from the area around the base wont have the wear and tear of New England weather and heavy salt and the wear and tear of mountain roads.
Down south you have to be looking for flood damage.
Then it comes down to the person driving the car. Are they out beating the crap out of it or are they conscientious of thier driving.
With only 1 year left and no idea if signing on for more set the 10k aside and finish it out?

As far as the guns. If he buys it in NH, there is no need to transfer it. Buy it and drive it down. Just store it off post with a TRUSTED person.

Plenty of decent shops down there though--keep in mind that without a NC Concealed Handgun Permit, he'll have to apply at the county for a purchase permit. Cumberland county was a pain in the balls when I was there, but Moose Butler's corrupt ass retired so it may have improved. This last time I lived in Harnett county and got a CHP--Harnett was a joy to deal with.

Either way, no issue with him buying with NH DL, PCS orders to Bragg, and CAC.

OK Shops(2015 last info):
Jims on Yadkin: Cocksuckers, but they usually had stuff in stock. Range is closed Sunday. Occasionally gathers oddball stuff via their pawnshop.
Guns Plus: Cocksuckers--don't like loaded guns in their stores, but their range is open Sunday. Occasionally has a decent collection of used rifles come through.
Eds in Vass. Glock Blue Label dealer. People talk them up, I think they are meh with their stock and employees.

Decent shops:
Carthage Shooting Sports--more of a "fudd" shop, but you never know what you'll see in there.
There was a shop in Southern Pines that I grabbed a BL Glock from, but I forgot who they were.

Mecca:
Mid South Guns in Wagram. Random building on the corner-walk in and holy cow. Great place for used stuff.

Anyhow...somebody in the platoon is a gun nut and knows the current info on shops and is probably already running a stripped lower order.

Good advice from the .mil community familiar with Ft Bragg. Only thing I’ll add is the the closest thing to NES is “www.carolinafirearmsforum.com”

not nearly as rich a community or active membership as NES but the better of the regional alternatives.

When my son was at Bragg he changed his DL to NC, registered to vote there, basically changed his residence. When he got out he went to NC State in Raleigh with resident state tuition rates (just about nothing) But your son can keep his MA DL if he wants to.

And yes, car dealers around the base are blood suckers.

Local dealers are probably even more rapacious than here.

But that’s not the only option. Soldiers are deploying and changing posts all the time. So he may be able to find one on post.

Bought a 1964 VW Beetle from a civilian employee at Fort Benning in 1981, Zero rust. Did lots of work of work, drove it to Fort Knox, and sold it to another officer who was staying. Also purchased a car from another soldier when I got to Germany, and sold it when I left.

If he knows something about cars, buy down there. But given the op tempo of the 82nd, or if he doesn’t know a
Much, probably best to make a short list of local cars and get one here.

Last edited:
Are there still "Lemon Lots" on base?

Didn't mean the double post, but yes. I forgot where it was though--I think up by the Butner PX(the older one). Lemon lots have sort of lost their way in the digital age. Most of what you'll see there are boats, RVs, the obligatory Pods container offering military discounts, etc. You never know though, there might be a gem of a car.

If I recall correctly, he can have a DL in any state as long as he is on active duty and can produce a valid military ID. There was some weirdness to the laws about it, so have him talk to jag or his commander about it. It’s a common enough question that it should be easy to answer.

I helped my son's friend find a used 2011 Toyota Corolla with $130K miles on Craigslist for $2200. My scanner showed no codes, it had a dented side panel, torn drivers seat and no rust on the frame. We changed the oil and coolant, topped off the fluids and dropped in a new set of plugs. He drove it from Boston to an AirBnB in Montana, then an AirBnB in Fl and back to Boston. It will not be competing in the Concore D'elegance, looks like crap so no one will try and steal it. It already owes him nothing and probably has a couple more years on it. I told him to make sure he always has a couple hunderd dollars handy in case it dies and need to be towed to a junk yard.

I was given a trouble maker as a Jr. NCO for detail, he was an intercity thug at heart. He was a professional trouble maker and was on his last straw. He failed to comply, got charges which ended up in a dishonorable discharge, with no bus ticket home to Detroit. Couldn't get home so he got a job selling cars to young GIs. I bought my first car from him, drive it for 100K miles (Toyota Corolla). He thanked me admitted the Army life was not for him and loved selling cars. It changed his life. I lucked out with a great car.

Back in the 80's i was buying long guns at the Fayetteville pawns shops and keep them stored in Unit Arms room. Don't know what the rules are like now, but the armorer was one of my shooting buddies. It was all good back then.

#AATW for your son

If he identifies as a lesbian, get a subaru.
That is SO FUNNY! Did you just think thst up? Hilarious, and super helpful.

AWD is not the way to go for most soldiers. They’re down south, have limited income, and have occasional long highway trips. So reliability, durability and operating economy are far more important than speed or AWD.

After the Beetle I had a Honda Civic 4 door 5 speed. Drove it MA - Georgia - MA - FL. Great highway mpg and easy to sell.

My son, 21, Army Infantry Airborne 82nd Red Falcons, is coming back from deployment soon and will come home to NH for leave. He’s 2yr in this Spring on a 3yr hitch - dunno if he plans to re-up yet.

He wants to buy a car and a gun. The gun thing, I can figure. I’ll give him a gun, do an FFL transfer and he can do the paperwork there. I think he knows about the off-base housing requirement to keep a personal handgun, local licensing, etc.

He lost his DL in a strip-club in Germany 🙄, so we’ll get a renewal here in NH when he’s back. My wife is a little skeptical about the car thing but he’s his own man now, so I just want to offer assistance and recommendations.

He’d have to drive it back to NC. He wants to spend $10k on a car - if we do a private sale and have our local mechanic check it over, it might make it back to NC. If his DL and "home address" is still our home in NH, how does car license/registration work for military at Ft Bragg? Will he have to register it there, pay taxes, get a NC DL, etc? I’m sure whatever insurance he gets will need to know he’s military in NC.

Its my understanding....from research and personal experience.....that a service member can keep a DL in their home state of residence and also keep their car registered in their home state of residence. I never re registered my vehicles in the state I was stationed in. Kept my DL and vehicles registered in my home of record as well. I went home enough throughout the year to get inspections done etc....

It may be to his advantage to do so......taxes cheaper insurance etc......but there is no requirement to do so.

As far as guns.....every post has its own regulations on storage.

Last edited:
Back in the 80's i was buying long guns at the Fayetteville pawns shops and keep them stored in Unit Arms room. Don't know what the rules are like now, but the armorer was one of my shooting buddies. It was all good back then.

The rules are the same. It's a good way to limit your own access to your property and have your firearms fingerbanged by all sorts of randos. Hence the recommendations to store them off post which also eliminates on post registration.

OP, almost forgot-tell yoour kid to refrain from going on Fort Bragg property and shooting in the deserted areas. There were almost daily blotter entries with the MPs rolling up folks shooting in the NTA where 690 runs through it or out by Mott Lake. There are a few indoor and outdoor ranges off post which again eliminates the registration requirements. As I enjoyed road trips, I would occasionally hit the range in the Uwharrie on the weekends.

National Forests in North Carolina - Flintlock Valley Shooting Range

if he buys a car in NH and has an issue it will be a bitch getting any cooperation while he's in NC. If he buys the vehicle in NC and there is an issue it should be easier to deal with the seller. just saying. also, he might be able to get a good deal from another military member who is shipping out or deploying.

OP here - I’ll just mention a few great car stories about my son:

1. Gave him my 2009 Forester when he got his DL. Next day, I pick up a voicemail “Dad, do we have a really long tow chain - about 200 feet?” The tiny captions at the bottom of those commercials ‘closed track’, ‘professional driver’, etc., didn’t stop he and his buddies from off-roading into the woods. Never found the skid plate...

2. He graduates and we get a voicemail he’s “on a trip” with a buddy. We see his debit card charges heading West and pause in Colorado. Then he wiped out his account at an auto repair shop - burned up the pumps going up Pike’s Peak and brakes going back down in that Forester. We gave him gas money to get home. 1-800-CARS4KIDS got that fine ride towed away when he got back.

3. Home on leave last XMAS, he gets a flat in the 2004 Hyundai Elantra we got him to replace the Forester. He and two buddies also home on leave, newly minted 82nd Airborne Paratroopers, unload the trunk to get the spare. NH Statie stops to see if all is OK, finds three 20yr olds changing a tire with ~100 beer cans, a few bottles of liquor and two 12g shotguns laying on the ground, changing a tire. Fortunately, the Statie was ex-Army, gave them a tongue-wagging and sent them home to unload the “contraband”. Sold that car for him this Summer.

Chip off the old block, that boy, and a better man than me! When he buys his own car with his hard-earned service pay, we’ll see how long it lasts.

Oh, an “LGOP.” “Little Group of Paratroopers.” The most destructive small groups known.

They are well-trained
They are armed to the teeth
They are pissed-off
They are 19
They lack adult supervision

One of our staff NCO’s was a PLT SGT in the 82nd before coming to 3-7 Cav. He told me a story about his defense of a soldier at a Field Grade Article 15 hearing. He’d gotten into a fight downtown.

“Sir, he’s a Paratrooper. He’s supposed to fight.”

So one of my Cavalry Troopers took on three German cab drivers who’d insulted the girl he was with for dating an American. (Ironically many of the cab drivers were Turks, who the Germans mistreated.)

Appearing before the Squadron Commander, Troop Commander was ready to hang him high. First Sergeant was undecided. Platoon Sergeant - public hanging. As Platoon Leader I was last to speak.

“Sir, if we kick everyone out of the Army who fights, we’ll have an Army that won’t fight.”

LTC Shinseki thought about all this, brought this kid in, and read him the riot act. I seriously thought he was going to Leavenworth. He announces the penalties, which include forfeiture, extra duty, etc.

Then the final ruling. “Suspended. For defending the honor of a woman, and the Regiment.”

Last edited:
OP here - I’ll just mention a few great car stories about my son:

1. Gave him my 2009 Forester when he got his DL. ... The tiny captions at the bottom of those commercials ‘closed track’, ‘professional driver’, etc., didn’t stop he and his buddies from off-roading into the woods. Never found the skid plate...

My son was home 2 weeks, and bought a 2016 Ford Edge in MHT, got it registered, plates and insurance all in a single day. He drove back to Fort Brag last Sunday/Monday in two 6hr stints (an overnight in MD) with a Daniel Defense AR15 & 1-6x24 LPVO, DBAL laser, as well as a SIG320 Compact/Romeo Red Dot, 300rd XM193 and 200rd 9mm locked (separately, unloaded) in steel cases. No troubles.

It’s his 1st weekend back with a car on base. Any troubles now aren’t mine! 😁

They are pieces of crap. Especially HMMWVs in the 82nd.

As a former HHC XO down there, I can say... "Yes. This is 100% correct."

It's been almost 20 years since I was there, so I've got nothing current to tell the OP, but at the time AD soldiers could retain residency in whatever state they'd established it in. So I stayed Californian my entire time in the service, even though I'd moved away long before and never did move back.

Bought a lot of guns at Jim's. He was fine back in The Day, and I don't remember purchase permits being all that hard to get. But there are better gunshops available out west of Fayetteville, toward Charlotte. But again, this is a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom