Captain of aircraft carrier with growing coronavirus outbreak pleads for help from Navy

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The captain of a nuclear aircraft carrier with more than 100 sailors infected with the coronavirus pleaded Monday with U.S. Navy officials for resources to allow isolation of his entire crew and avoid possible deaths in a situation he described as quickly deteriorating.

The unusual plea from Capt. Brett Crozier, a Santa Rosa native, came in a letter obtained exclusively by The Chronicle and confirmed by a senior officer on board the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, which has been docked in Guam following a COVID-19 outbreak among the crew of more than 4,000 less than a week ago.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
He's probably right.

It's also completely impractical.

Sending the letter was probably the responsible thing to do; it acknowledges reality and seeks guidance.

Leaking the letter was probably unforgiveable.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He's probably right.

It's also completely impractical.

Sending the letter was probably the responsible thing to do; it acknowledges reality and seeks guidance.

Leaking the letter was probably unforgiveable.
The man is probably willing to forfeit his command if it gets his sailors the help he thinks they need and deserve. Don't be so hard on him...

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Couldn't I write a letter signed "Capt. Brett Crozier" that states: "Never mind." ?

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The captain of a nuclear aircraft carrier with more than 100 sailors infected with the coronavirus pleaded Monday with U.S. Navy officials for resources to allow isolation of his entire crew and avoid possible deaths in a situation he described as quickly deteriorating.

The unusual plea from Capt. Brett Crozier, a Santa Rosa native, came in a letter obtained exclusively by The Chronicle and confirmed by a senior officer on board the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, which has been docked in Guam following a COVID-19 outbreak among the crew of more than 4,000 less than a week ago.

Well, sadly, there goes his career. :(

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Spent many years on Aircraft Carriers and one thing is for certain. They are incubation machines. Once a virus starts onboard it will sweep through the crew at record speed. There is no such thing as "social distancing" onboard.

Well.....it's the Navy. What did you expect?
"F" you. I guess it's better if a bunch of them die....

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW, my nephew is on that carrier.

They have set up hospital tents on the pier that are quarantining known positive cases, but they are not doing any testing unless someone exhibits unmistakable Kung Flu symptoms....and a lot of them are getting sick.
Welcome to active duty medicine for the military. Not what it used to be, sadly.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not bying the desperate tone being reported . . .
You probably have never stood in an aircraft carrier chow line.

As long as his letter was through the appropriate chain of command, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The man is probably willing to forfeit his command if it gets his sailors the help
Stepping up and speaking the truth to your superior is exactly what Naval tradition is all about! It is not your career, it is for the benefit on the Navy!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as his letter was through the appropriate chain of command, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
I don't know off hand who leaked the letter. I thought it said the letter was 'obtained'. Someone else could have leaked it. I don't see how the commander of the ship asking for help could be taken negatively.

If he sent the letter to the NYT directly, well, that would be different.

fitzknny

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have never stood in an aircraft carrier chow line.

Stepping up and speaking the truth to your superior is exactly what Naval tradition is all about! It is not your career, it is for the benefit on the Navy!

Perhaps you misunderstood my meaning, I too think sending the letter was a responsible thing. To do. However. The way it was reported ,I feel was pumped up by a left leaning paper to push the OMG factor. I have every confidence that the Capt. Is an even keeled Skipper . . . and yes I have stood in a bunch of Navy chow lines on troop transport ship doing landing drills for two weeks at a time . it beat the chow halls at Pendleton [kiss]

Last edited:

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The below is the text header of his letter. I've been around the Navy for quite some time and would like an explanation as to who the hell is, "BLUF"? Normally the letter would address his immediate superior.

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
uss THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN
UNIT Ioozso Box 1
FPO AP 96632

30 Mar 20
Subj: REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE IN RESPONSE TO PANDEMIC

BLUF: If required the USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT would embark all assigned Sailors, set
sail, and be ready to ?ght and beat any adversary that dares challenge the US or our allies.
and yes I have stood in a bunch of Navy chow lines
Fair enough! If your words of, "desperate reporting" were addressed to the publisher of the letter. I agree. I; however, would have written a similar letter, but most assuredly not addressed to, "BLUF".

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't know off hand who leaked the letter. I thought it said the letter was 'obtained'. Someone else could have leaked it. I don't see how the commander of the ship asking for help could be taken negatively.

If he sent the letter to the NYT directly, well, that would be different.
"Obtained," then "confirmed by a senior officer on board." The leaker could be that officer or a different one. My WAG is that some O-3 or thereabouts emailed it to the paper because he was unsatisfied with the Navy's response to the captain. To the media, O-3 is probably "senior."

The below is the text header of his letter. I've been around the Navy for quite some time and would like an explanation as to who the hell is, "BLUF"? Normally the letter would address his immediate superior.
BLUF is Bottom Line Up Front. I didn't know it was a part of formal Navy memos, but then I was writing Army memos. I learned that you should always write BLUF, but I've never seen it labeled on the actual document.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Obtained," then "confirmed by a senior officer on board." The leaker could be that officer or a different one. My WAG is that some O-3 or thereabouts emailed it to the paper because he was unsatisfied with the Navy's response to the captain. To the media, O-3 is probably "senior."
I can't believe the military doesn't have a SOP like we do for dealing with media. I can't talk to media without prior consent from a PIO. Last time they did that for me, the PIO lost his gig. :D

Top Bottom