1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Capital One Reports Data Breach Affecting 100 Million Customers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TC McQuade, Jul 29, 2019.

1. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Capital One Reports Data Breach Affecting 100 Million Customers

Anyone think there will be more than 100 Million?

Alleged hacker, a former employee of Amazon Web Services, arrested by federal agents in Seattle!
    And the Government thinks it's safe to let Amazon run the military's Cloud...

Capital One Financial Corp. , the fifth-biggest U.S. credit-card issuer, said Monday that a hacker accessed the personal information of approximately 106 million card customers and applicants, one of the largest-ever data breaches of a large bank.

Paige A. Thompson, 33 years old, was arrested in connection with the hack Monday by federal agents in Seattle, officials said. Ms. Thompson is accused of breaking through a Capital One firewall to access customer data that the bank had stored on Amazon.com Inc. ’s cloud service, according to a federal criminal complaint and people familiar with the matter.

The bulk of the exposed data involves information submitted by customers and small businesses that applied for Capital One credit cards between 2005 and early 2019, the bank said, including addresses, dates of birth and self-reported income.

Ms. Thompson is a former employee of Amazon Web Services Inc., according to people familiar with the matter. The criminal complaint says Ms. Thompson’s résumé showed she worked at a cloud-computing company, which the government didn’t name, as a systems engineer from 2015 to 2016.

The breach compromised approximately 140,000 Social Security numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, as well as some customers’ credit scores, payment histories and credit limits. It follows a breach in 2017 at credit-reporting company Equifax Inc., which exposed the data of nearly 150 million Americans and focused public and congressional attention on the sensitive information that financial companies keep on their customers.

Paige Thompson, 33, was arrested in connection with the breach, the Justice Department said Monday. The department alleges that Thompson "posted on the information sharing site GitHub about her theft of information from the servers storing Capital One data."

Thompson had previously worked as a tech company software engineer and was able to gain access by exploiting a misconfigured web application firewall, the DOJ said.

Paige Adele Thompson
    upload_2019-7-29_23-10-4.png

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019

2. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

3. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

IT works for me.

4. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Great, and one of my CC was switched over to Capital One last year.

That's probably the 5th or 6th time my info has been stolen with all these data breaches.

Good thing I have my credit frozen. But WTF.

It's all good guys, the Chairman is sorry. I feel a lot better now...

5. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Yup. I think she is a he.

6. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Wood hit. With a hammer.

Uzi2 likes this.
  7. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Would drop in chipper.

8. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

She's handsome.

bauer, Wrench75 and mcb like this.
  9. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

why don't they really go after these hackers. Like 400 years in jail for such a mammoth crime?

10. EddieZoom

EddieZoom NES Member

We are becoming numb to these type of security breaches...oh well, what'cha gonna do...I guess they'll issue me a new card and pay for 1 year of credit monitoring....nothing to see here, moving on.

Companies have shown time and again they are not worthy custodians of our personal information. Choosing to store customer data in the cloud is fine but you don't get to ignore your responsibilities to protect that data regardless of where it's stored.

commodon and Len-2A Training like this.
  11. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

I almost feel like there is some sort of right or maybe an amendment that might stop that.................................

12. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i do not see it that way. Lets say stealing someone's identity and selling it online rates one week in jail. So one week times 100 Million counts of the crime...is 100 million weeks in prison. Perfectly legal

dingbat and Broccoli Iglesias like this.
  13. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

Sounds insane for just some digital numbers on a screen, It doesn't even say anything of monetary value was taken. Just information, Google, Alexa ,Amazon they are all harvesting more information than this gentleman got, every minute of the day.

14. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

Capital One got the Cabelas card - awesome.

I have LifeLock though.

15. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Thays the worst case of dudeface I've seen in quite a while.

16. VetteGirlMA

VetteGirlMA NES Member

Boy are there going to be a lot of major corporations evaluating their working relationships with AWS this morning. A lot of companies handed over the keys to their data centers to Amazon.

17. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

The information has value because it can be used to access/create accounts of the people who's information was stolen. As for Google, Alexa, etc. well you agreed to that, read the fine print.

18. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

Kind of depends on who's web application was compromised. It's more likely, given it's access to customer data, that the app was Capitol-One's and only hosted on AWS. If that was the case it really wouldn't have mattered if it was hosted on systems owned directly by Capital-One. The hosting company isn't responsible when their customers do stupid things, I see this stuff all the time.

M1911 and DarkNet like this.
  19. M1911

I doubt the problem was AWS. Far more likely, CapitalOne screwed up on their security configuration.

Len-2A Training, Admin and DarkNet like this.
  20. EddieZoom

EddieZoom NES Member

Too much to assume this sensitive customer data was/is encrypted ? If not, why not ?

21. mass

mass NES Member

It's ma'am!

22. M1911

Because the CapitalOne developers were dopes?

23. rali

rali

Meh. AWS (really, all of the top tier cloud providers) draws a clear distinction between “security OF the cloud” and “security IN the cloud.” It makes no difference, as others have pointed out, whether a crappy app runs in a traditional data entry or in a cloud data center.
    But a LOT fewer techs and admins have access to an AWS facility than a traditional colo facility.

I give CapOne some credit (one should excuse the phrasing); this breach was applications for credit cards, but at least they were smart enough to abstract and tokenize the SSNs. Too much other stuff not tokenized to give them a free pass, but a start. Unlike the douchenozzles at Equifax.

Also points for not using mealy mouthed “may have been inconvenienced” language in the press release.

R

M1911 likes this.
  24. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

I agree with the jail time, but this was somewhat an inside job. An employee form the cloud storage service Cap One was using. I'm figuring that this person was basically an idiot, as the reason she got caught was because she bragged about what she did in an online forum, where someone ratted her out to Cap One. Wonder if she did it just to brag, which would be kind of better because there was no end game with the data. Little actual hacking involved if you already know the system from the inside. Almost makes me think this is worst than hacking though, as this was supposedly from a trusted vendor. So data isn't safe from hackers OR the companies that you do business with.

25. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

EE74AA28-7EC9-4EF8-A3F0-B243114085AA.gif

26. M1911

I think you are misunderstanding the situation. This was a former AWS employee. I’m sure they weren’t using their old AWS credentials, as Amazon would have disabled those on their last day.

This was simply CapitalOne failing to lock their front door.

powerman likes this.
  27. powerman

powerman NES Member

and I wonder how many other "actors" walked in and out the front door with the "goods"

I don't trust any of them personally, I will use credit to my advantage when need though.

I was rejected with the Cabela's card swap, I didn't reapply, but I wonder if I'm in there too.

I'm down to (2) cards (1) personnel and (1) biz and no other outstanding loans or credit. trying to disappear from the credit space.

28. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

How do you figure I was misunderstanding it? AWS was Cap One's cloud storage. This former AWS employee had inside knowledge of both systems. Whether she was actually an employee or not at the time of the theft doesn't change the fact that she used inside knowledge to exploit a firewall vulnerability that would otherwise be difficult to notice without intimate knowledge of internal systems, so inside job. She didn't crack this as a disinterested third party from scratch, which I was call a true hack.

29. DarkNet

DarkNet NES Life Member NES Member

There are times that data is encrypted, and times that it is not. By design. For example it is most likely encrypted at rest (stored on the hard drive) and in transit between the application server and the the client. (this "may not" always be true, but that WOULD be an serious vulnerability). In any case, at some point the data needs to NOT be encrypted, such as being processed on the server or being displayed to the client (customer). If there is a vulnerability in the application, then an attacker could essentially pretend to be every customer, and collect their information or attack the application server and get it there.

30. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

And then what? Your data is already out there being sold over and over again to people all around the world.

I agree, send then to prison for life. But the damage is already done.