• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cape Turkeys

ccm75

NES Member
Anyone have any intel or experience hunting gobblers on the cape, specifically in the Mashpee area?
Thanks
Gobble, Gobble....

Anyone have any intel or experience hunting gobblers on the cape, specifically in the Mashpee area?
Thanks
Gobble, Gobble....
I'm the Range Operations Manager at Camp Edwards. The place is drowning in Wild Turkeys. Normally, any licensed hunter can hunt there simply by applying through the Masswildlife website at Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program and filling out a registration form no later than April 1.

Unfortunately due to the Covid-19 the spring turkey hunt has been cancelled for this year but it normally takes place the first week of the open season, and there's also a youth turkey hunt normally held the Saturday prior to the week-long season every year.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out next year. They're everywhere on CE.

It may be drowning in turkeys, but it’s probably also drowning in hunters. Risky business.
No. You "guessed" wrong. There's a ton of turkeys because there are almost no hunters.

Camp Edwards or as it's known now as "joint base cape cod" is loaded with turkey because it's a military base and has almost no hunting pressure. Even the controlled hunt is only 5 days for turkey.

Last time I took part in the Edwards hunt was 2 years ago and the day I went only 4 hunters signed in......thousands of acres to hunt and only 4 hunters that day. The reason I believe the number of hunters is small is

1. It requires a registration in which they do a background check to allow non military folks temporary access to the base.
2. Its on the cape so is a bit of a drive for most folks. (I get a hotel the night before when I hunt Edwards)
3. It is a military base and it is daunting for some folks to believe they actually have access to it.

It's a good program and they need hunters to help with the deer and turkey management. It's not a shooting gallery.....there is plenty of room to spread out.

That alone tends to scare a few people off.

Last edited:
I'm the Range Operations Manager at Camp Edwards. The place is drowning in Wild Turkeys. Normally, any licensed hunter can hunt there simply by applying through the Masswildlife website at Participate in the Camp Edwards controlled hunting program and filling out a registration form no later than April 1.

My son is on the Fire Dept there. He said the Turkeys won't even get out of the way of the Crash Truck with the Sirens on.

Unfortunately due to the Covid-19 the spring turkey hunt has been cancelled for this year but it normally takes place the first week of the open season, and there's also a youth turkey hunt normally held the Saturday prior to the week-long season every year.

Thanks for the info, signed up for deer.

I used to live next to the base fence line in Mashpee. There is nothing but woods, clearings and abandoned old military buildings and turkeys/deer/coyotes there. Excellent place to walk or bike during non hunting times and great place to hunt when in season. Little known gem so sssshh.....

Back
Top Bottom