• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cape guy shoots himself?

The accident occurred around noon when the man was practicing with his own .22-caliber handgun. The man suffered a nickel-sized hole in his hand, the official said.

HAAAAWHAT?

CAPE COD TIMES
WEST BARNSTABLE - A man shot himself in the hand yesterday at the town of Barnstable's shooting range on Service Road, according to a fire official.

The accident occurred around noon when the man was practicing with his own .22-caliber handgun. The man suffered a nickel-sized hole in his hand, the official said.

An ambulance took the victim to Cape Cod Hospital, Hyannis. Fire and police officials declined to release the man's name. His status was unknown last night.

Good thing it was'nt a 45, the hole would have gone from nickle to grapefruit!

The Hospital just reported that his status has recently been upgraded from "embarrassed" to "humiliated"

All kidding aside .......... get well soon, and be careful out there! [grin]

And, just think, you only need to get a D in firearms safety (75% = 3 out of 4 rules followed) to avoid injury to yourself or others.

Avoiding damage to your walls or ceilings? Well that requires a perfect score, pretty much.

STAY SAFE, FOLKS!

The article says he was a victim. Victim of what exactly? Did this person do this on purpose? Next thing you know the injured hand was his shooting hand right?

Best of luck man.

Wasn't me.... I quit going there when they banned the use of machineguns.

I can think of at least three possibilities of who it might have been right off the top of my head. I have seen one guy there who shoots .22 pistol almost exclusively who has THE WORST gun handling habits and has had a negligent discharge right across the entire firing line before. Had I been there when it happened(ten minutes earlier) I'd either have been dead or kicked his ass. If I had to put money on it it would be him for sure.

Another one is a guy who was so wrapped up in his screwed up pistol, he wasn't paying attention to what was going on and that there were people down range. He looks up and lets off a shot that struck the berm about four feet away from where a guy was bent over setting up a .22 spinner setup. That guy caught hell in an instant, although the guy who went down range was partially at fault for not clearing the entire line before going down range.

Another is an old guy who doesn't know the first thing about handling a gun. He was screwing around with some old rusty screwed up piece of crap one day and discharged it into the dirt about a foot in front of him. I packed my shit immediately and left.

There is no shortage of gun toting imbeciles at that range, I've seen many in the few years I shot there. I used to enjoy having the range almost to myself most weekdays. You couldn't pay me to go there on a Saturday or Sunday in Sept, Oct or Nov.

I didn't know they banned Machine guns. I thought that proposal failed. I heard that from someone else, and searched for any info on the net with no solid results.

I usually go there after a bad rain. The pistol range gets flooded and I have no problem walking through the water to set up a target. I also try to go on weekday mornings.

Also, If I am going to bump fire or try out some new C&R Mail order, I make sure the range is empty.

Last October the Conservation commission banned use of MGs except for police.

Well, just checked into the Barnstable website. Apparently they had a change of heart and now only prohibit the use of machineguns on Sundays(except for the police).

Either way, they aren't getting another dime of my money. Everytime you turn around there is a new gripe by someone somewhere in town or on some board.

I may go there as someone's guest, but they're not getting anymore user fees from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just there on sunday afternoon, me my friend another guy and a woman shooter, just having a great time shooting. We started to talk about the range itself and my friend mentioned how there had never been an accident there.....
ooops

Some guy committed suicide there a while back. Put a shotgun to his chin and blew his head apart.
Guess that can't be considered an accident though.

I'd be very surprised if this is the first time someone has accidently shot themself at this range.

There seem to be way too many people that don't observe safe handling practices. I lost track of how many people I saw with their fingers on the trigger aiming in all directions at the gun show last weekend. You just never know.

Wasn't me.... I quit going there when they banned the use of machineguns.

I am pretty sure you are wrong on this. I see nothing on the town site, other then the standard NO SUNDAY. I will call tomorrow as I will be going there next Friday with a shooting buddies and his UZI.

I am pretty sure you are wrong on this. I see nothing on the town site, other then the standard NO SUNDAY. I will call tomorrow as I will be going there next Friday with a shooting buddies and his UZI.

Yes, you are correct..... I modified my post above after checking their website.

I was told by a DNR officer the last time I was there that machineguns were prohibited except for police. Seems that either the conservation commission changed their mind or the DNR officer didn't know what the hell he was talking about at the time he notified me.

It is clearly a Sunday ban that is in effect, per their website.

If you read the minutes of the Barnstable Conservation Commission meeting of Oct 25, 2005, the initial ban was total with a police exception. I don't know what transpired from then until I was told by the DNR officer but glad its not a total ban in effect.

Shot there for a little over five years and never once saw another Uzi on the range, semi or fullauto. Where has your friend been hiding?

I was at the October meeting when they were discussing the change, but I never knew when the vote took place, if ever. I am still going to call tomorrow and ask.

I go there about ever other week. A few weeks ago I invited my ex-military friend and we fired his Uzi. Had a Blast. I said I would pull some ammo for it from the closet, so we may do it friday or next week.

A "range officer" usually shows up a few times a day, checks Id's, and then leaves. There are usually some police officers that use the range daily.

So I was just at the range. I talked with the range officer, whom i guess is there all day. He pointed out a bloody hand print in the middle loading area. Also, blood splatter on the plexi glass. I forgot my camera [sad2] No leads on who it was.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeew! Gross! Couldn't he do that at home or something? Yuck!!! [puke]

Some guy committed suicide there a while back. Put a shotgun to his chin and blew his head apart.
Guess that can't be considered an accident though.

I'd be very surprised if this is the first time someone has accidently shot themself at this range.

1. I've shot full auto at that range without any question.
2. On the other hand, it is not my favorite place because it is usually unsupervised and I've seen more inept weapons handling on that range than any other.

Back
Top Bottom