Good luck. Let us know if you ever figure out what "chambered no larger than 38 caliber means."

Good luck. Let us know if you ever figure out what "chambered no larger than 38 caliber means."

That's easy man, you can't shoot a 95mm, or for laymen, you can't shoot anything chambered for a 3" or larger diameter shell- so you artillery guys are SOL.

Was just out on the bike a couple of hours ago and stopped at the Cohasset commuter rail station. A whole bunch of them started yapping and making noise in the cemetery. Must have been a half dozen anyway. From across the lot another group of them across the street in Wompatuck started calling back. It was wild. It sounded like dozens of them.

The National Seashore is open to hunting. In fact it's quite popular for deer. For coyote the only restriction they have is No Bait. Rifle is fine. The info along with where you can and can't hunt is on their website. The first time I went in there I went to the Visitor Center the day before to tell them I'd be in there seeing as it was mid winter, well outside traditional "hunting season", but coyote was still open.
After the expected mild anti- hunter sentiment at the front desk I was directed to the Enforcement Ranger, who told me they were quite the nuisance for him, where he thought the better spots were going to be, and his parting words were....kill them all.

I am glad I talked with him, I do try to keep it on the down low there, particularly spending the minimum time in the parking lot gearing up, however I did get busted by a jogger on the way out once who was more than a little startled coming across a couple camo guys toting rifles in the woods. She had to have gotten the guy I talked to when she called it in, as the next time I went there was a couple of big signs in the parking lot stating Yes hunting is allowed here, and Yes the season is open.

The population had been down around here, some disease went thru, but it appears to be up now. Good Luck, the Seashore is indeed a great place to hunt, the scenery alone is worth trip. In fact ya got me thinkin'......I just may give it a go later on this winter myself.

DSCF0800[1].JPG

DSCF0804[1].JPG

DSCF0606[1].JPG

several other state properties on the cape too. Crane (after bird season), quashnet, and lots of town lands in teh upper cape open to hunting in Mashpee, Barnstable, Falmouth etc.

Where in Barnstable?
Of the fifteen towns on Cape Cod, Barnstable is the largest. The town has seven villages: Barnstable, Centerville, Cotuit, Hyannis, Osterville, Marstons Mills, and West Barnstable. it doesn't make sense to me either lol.

OnX hunting app is a good idea for hunting the Cape. Some of the towns have additional regulations like hunting times & can't hunt certain conservation lands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom