• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cape Cod man shoots pit bull that was biting him. Guns confiscated.

My guess is Pending Investigation? I’m convinced you cannot use your firearm in any lawfull manner in Mass without this happening

That’s what I was thinking too. I hope he gets them back if he’s cleared, without jumping through tons of hoops.

In case anyone wants an update, this was posted on YPD's FB:

"
GOOD morning Mike Jones, Trinka Porrata, and so many other Concerned Citizens and Facebook Followers.
This is Deputy Chief Xiarhos.
With all due respect, please do not tell us how to conduct Law Enforcement business in our community.
This was a tragic case and we are all fortunate it was not worse.
The man in question had just moved in to his home and had no gun safe and needed a place to keep his firearms until he healed from his wounds and we completed our investigation.
His name or address was never released to be public and he is not complaining or concerned about his safety.
There will be no charges filed against him, the unsecured handgun was under his control, and all weapons will be returned when he has all the equipment required to keep all firearms secured.
We always appreciate feedback and constructive input and we encourage you to obtain all the actual facts before commenting in such a negative manner on the actions of the men and women of Law Enforcement.
We are the ones on the front lines 24/7 serving and protecting this community and we understand all aspects of the laws in our Commonwealth.
We understand all of the negative and prejudice comments but this case has nothing to do with politics, or liberalism, or our Attorney General, or the lack of respect for our 2nd Amendment, or the Freedom of Information Act.
Keep following us as we encourage and appreciate the ability to educate through social media.
Feel free to call me at 5087750445 extension 2115 or stop in anytime at 340 Higgins Crowell Road in West Yarmouth. Stay safe and we appreciate your ongoing support in the Chief of Police, the Yarmouth Police Department, and Massachusetts Law Enforcement."

That guy who got bit should immediately go to Walmart and pickup one of those cheap stack-on gun cabinets and call it good. Heal up and hopefully learn from this ordeal.

In case anyone wants an update, this was posted on YPD's FB:

"
GOOD morning Mike Jones, Trinka Porrata, and so many other Concerned Citizens and Facebook Followers.
This is Deputy Chief Xiarhos.
With all due respect, please do not tell us how to conduct Law Enforcement business in our community.
This was a tragic case and we are all fortunate it was not worse.
The man in question had just moved in to his home and had no gun safe and needed a place to keep his firearms until he healed from his wounds and we completed our investigation.
His name or address was never released to be public and he is not complaining or concerned about his safety.
There will be no charges filed against him, the unsecured handgun was under his control, and all weapons will be returned when he has all the equipment required to keep all firearms secured.
We always appreciate feedback and constructive input and we encourage you to obtain all the actual facts before commenting in such a negative manner on the actions of the men and women of Law Enforcement.
We are the ones on the front lines 24/7 serving and protecting this community and we understand all aspects of the laws in our Commonwealth.
We understand all of the negative and prejudice comments but this case has nothing to do with politics, or liberalism, or our Attorney General, or the lack of respect for our 2nd Amendment, or the Freedom of Information Act.
Keep following us as we encourage and appreciate the ability to educate through social media.
Feel free to call me at 5087750445 extension 2115 or stop in anytime at 340 Higgins Crowell Road in West Yarmouth. Stay safe and we appreciate your ongoing support in the Chief of Police, the Yarmouth Police Department, and Massachusetts Law Enforcement."

Bit of an arrogant dick there, aren't you Chief.
Heaven forbid someone might question your Godlike judgment.
The people that sign my paycheck do in fact get to ask questions.
Look who signs yours.

Have no problem with the FB post, but the all due respect line, seems a little aggressive no? Surely not helping the situation with that line I would think

That Deputy Chief - back when he was "Officer X" was one of the go-to guys for teenaged shitheads in Yarmouth when [they] screwed up and needed a reasonable and trusted officer to turn to for advice or information or anything at all. ANYTHING at all. I will tell you, from firsthand experience, he is NOT an anti-anything, NOT a gun-grabber, NOT a better-than-civilians JBT. The Cartman meme, much as I love it, is completely off the mark here. I did some dumb shit as a teenager, and crossed paths with Yarmouth PD, and it was not on terms favorable to me - but I still can't say they deserve any of the JBT hate. That's an honest and reputable department.

I know there are other NES'rs here that can corroborate that, but I'm a decent man and won't call them out. They can speak up if they wish.

-Person that was a f***-up teen growing up in Yarmouth and crossed paths with YPD too often, and has seen the inside of their holding cells, sends...

Obviously, the deputy police chief does not know the actual law. I'm shocked!!

I am 100% confident that he does. This isn't Cambridge PD. Sometimes things are taken out of context, misquoted, or just aren't expressed quite how they were meant. Been quite a while, but Yarmouth PD (and Officer X, now Dep. Chief X) were finest kind.

I am 100% confident that he does. This isn't Cambridge PD. Sometimes things are taken out of context, misquoted, or just aren't expressed quite how they were meant. Been quite a while, but Yarmouth PD (and Officer X, now Dep. Chief X) were finest kind.

A gun safe is NOT a requirement in order to be compliant with current storage law in this state. I took nothing out of context. The deputy chief posted erroneous information about the law. Again, I'm shocked.

That Deputy Chief - back when he was "Officer X" was one of the go-to guys for teenaged shitheads in Yarmouth when [they] screwed up and needed a reasonable and trusted officer to turn to for advice or information or anything at all. ANYTHING at all. I will tell you, from firsthand experience, he is NOT an anti-anything, NOT a gun-grabber, NOT a better-than-civilians JBT. The Cartman meme, much as I love it, is completely off the mark here. I did some dumb shit as a teenager, and crossed paths with Yarmouth PD, and it was not on terms favorable to me - but I still can't say they deserve any of the JBT hate. That's an honest and reputable department.

I know there are other NES'rs here that can corroborate that, but I'm a decent man and won't call them out. They can speak up if they wish.

-Person that was a f***-up teen growing up in Yarmouth and crossed paths with YPD too often, and has seen the inside of their holding cells, sends...

He may not be anti whatever but he is at the least insinuating that a safe is required which is incorrect, on top of the "We know better than you, shut your face and respect us" which comes off as quite insulting. I don't know that the guy who posted it wrote it himself, but anyone reading that can see that it is over the top confrontational. The same thing could have been accomplished without the bluster and come across much better by just letting everyone know the guy was not being charged and that they were not planning on keeping his guns forever.

A gun safe is NOT a requirement in order to be compliant with current storage law in this state. I took nothing out of context. The deputy chief posted erroneous information about the law. Again, I'm shocked.

This. $5 at the hardware store gets you a master lock you can slap on the gun case and is fully in compliance with the law. A safe is not required, just nice to have.

Or slap a shitty trigger lock on it.

Was the chief talking about the law or just some common sense? Because maybe a gun safe isn't a requirement according to the law nor does it provide perfect security, but it's certainly a lot better than leaving firearms in an empty house that are already packed into gun cases ready to be hauled off by thieves, especially given the publicity involved. The chief didn't actually say that a safe was required by law nor did he say that if the owner showed up with some gun cases and $5 locks or even some shitty trigger locks (thus satisfying the laws requirement) that he wouldn't give them back.

I can just see a prosecutor in Ma wondering why he didn't jingle his car keys and give the dog a "hey boy, wanna go for a ride".....instead of hot lead injection

Was the chief talking about the law or just some common sense? Because maybe a gun safe isn't a requirement according to the law nor does it provide perfect security, but it's certainly a lot better than leaving firearms in an empty house that are already packed into gun cases ready to be hauled off by thieves, especially given the publicity involved. The chief didn't actually say that a safe was required by law nor did he say that if the owner showed up with some gun cases and $5 locks or even some shitty trigger locks (thus satisfying the laws requirement) that he wouldn't give them back.

That was my take on it, pure common sense.

I don't know any details of the above mentioned incident, but I did find myself as spokesperson in a "debate" with some residents concerning firearms use in the town several years ago. Found YPD to be professional, courteous and fair. As the "mediating" party obviously they did not take sides, but were quite far from anti or oppressive, indeed I felt they were trying to help both sides find the right answer, rather than just taking the easy one.

He may not be anti whatever but he is at the least insinuating that a safe is required which is incorrect, on top of the "We know better than you, shut your face and respect us" which comes off as quite insulting. I don't know that the guy who posted it wrote it himself, but anyone reading that can see that it is over the top confrontational. The same thing could have been accomplished without the bluster and come across much better by just letting everyone know the guy was not being charged and that they were not planning on keeping his guns forever.

Not how I read it, but it's hard to infer intent from written word sometimes. I read it as they offered secure storage for his firearms while he got things sorted out, not seized them by force until they sorted it out. My opinion is also biased by positive experience with YPD - I'll readily admit that.

My police department gives out free gun locks.
That is all that is needed to stay legal.
Maybe the gun owner was convinced that he would be better off with a proper safe.
I'm sure he would be.
They are probably doing the gun owner a favor.
However, stating that you need a safe in not accurate.

"We are the ones on the front lines 24/7 serving and protecting this community and we understand all aspects of the laws in our Commonwealth." That's rich. Maybe I'll stop by a road detail someday to ask about when my car trunk becomes a locked container....or why it doesn't.

MA or Fla?
In Ma, shoot your dog who is attacking you, get your guns taken and you’re “under investigation “

Jensen beach FLA, shop owner shoots fleeing robbers, hits one in the back of the head
Sheriff say, thanks pal, no charges, you are your own front line.

From the DC's explanation it sounds like he did the guy a solid, rather than arresting him for unsecured weapons. I don't agree with the seizure of the firearms, but the outcome could have been a lot worse for the guy in question.

From the DC's explanation it sounds like he did the guy a solid, rather than arresting him for unsecured weapons. I don't agree with the seizure of the firearms, but the outcome could have been a lot worse for the guy in question.
That's my read, too. He says the guy wasn't charged with a storage violation for the pistol because it was under his direct control, but it sounds like the shotgun was unsecured and not under his direct control.

This sounds like an example of the police going out of their way to not go full retard when the MA gun laws would have allowed and encouraged them to.

That's my read, too. He says the guy wasn't charged with a storage violation for the pistol because it was under his direct control, but it sounds like the shotgun was unsecured and not under his direct control.

This sounds like an example of the police going out of their way to not go full retard when the MA gun laws would have allowed and encouraged them to.
Correct, the COP sounds like one of the good guys.

Have no problem with the FB post, but the all due respect line, seems a little aggressive no? Surely not helping the situation with that line I would think

I'm guessing the number of negative FB posts/comments being made by persons with a lack of knowledge or understanding of the situation based on the limited information released to the public, might have had something to do with his response?

That's how I read it.

If any NES'rs are that curious, I'd be willing to bet if you sent him a message or called him, he'd answer. I have absolutely no idea what the limits are on what he can say about the investigation itself, though. Probably some kind of privacy stuff that applies there.

1B011417-8526-47E4-867E-09C2A06BDA81.jpeg I wonder if the pit was using its natural camo to wage its attack... all guns are assault weapons just like any dog that has bitten is a pitbull .
Vicious vermin all of them

Back
Top Bottom