• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cape Cod man shoots pit bull that was biting him. Guns confiscated.

Not necessarily. Guy could have gone outside, locked his house and waited for EMS/FD to show up, and said "I was just walking home from my evening walk, a dog growled at me and then lunged and bit me, I kicked it and it ran off, looked like a pit bull" blah blah, guy goes to hospital.

-Mike
Good one,
That qualifies for a “ quick thinking on your feet” award. [thumbsup]

Good one,
That qualifies for a “ quick thinking on your feet” award. [thumbsup]

Of course things get dicey if, lets say, guy shoots the dog and somehow, something else bad happens, like lets say he was in a struggle with this dog, and had the gun go off not exactly when he wanted it, and the bullet went through the dog and clipped his girlfriend's hand or something, there's no way he's going to be able to
work around that. Then the flags and the syreeens get engaged and the cops end up at the hospital asking the dude about why his girlfriend has a bullet-like hole in her hand...

-Mike

And this ladies and gentlemen is why I don't live in the NorthEast any more. Seriously. I dispatched a presumably rabid fox last week in the middle of my neighborhood, in the middle of the day, in front of multiple witnesses, including women and children. Everyone present knew I was about to do it and the adults made sure that their children stayed well back. One neighbor came out of his house after hearing the gunshots, came over, looked at the dead fox, had a brief cordial conversation with me and went back in his house.

Nobody had a heart attack because I was standing there with a holstered pistol in my hand talking to my neighbors. Nobody called the police either because of the visible pistol or the gunshots.

DNR showed up shortly thereafter, collected the fox, advised me that he couldn't do an autopsy for rabies because I'd shot it in the head and left. My neighbors thanked me, I picked up my brass and went back to work. M

Here is MA, this event would make the 6PM news and you would forever be known as the vermin vigilante !!!!

Clearly a danger to himself and others....vermin or not ;-)

Every ambulance call gets a free home inspection without a warrant.
Remember that before you call .
VERY true if they enter your house and they will with the EMTs/Paramedics. It's SOP in most of the smaller towns in MA.

Say it with me: "We really try and discourage people from self-help in Massachusetts."
So very true and why we punish the innocent. They get to "go for the ride" even if they don't get convicted of anything . . . the "ride" is the punishment.

What drives me nuts is this guy shoots a dog biting the crap out of him, no matter what the reason or story is, and some gal in Wisconsin shoots some dirt-bag kicking her door in and she gets a pat on the back from the sheriff, 0 f***s given about her gun or how many she has.

Gotta move.

What drives me nuts is this guy shoots a dog biting the crap out of him, no matter what the reason or story is, and some gal in Wisconsin shoots some dirt-bag kicking her door in and she gets a pat on the back from the sheriff, 0 f***s given about her gun or how many she has.

Gotta move.

Greetings from NC.

Gotta move.
Or take a knee.

VERY true if they enter your house and they will with the EMTs/Paramedics. It's SOP in most of the smaller towns in MA.

So very true and why we punish the innocent. They get to "go for the ride" even if they don't get convicted of anything . . . the "ride" is the punishment.
Defensive architectural design might be a solution. The (late) Col. Jeff Cooper wrote about it and his own home contained these features. A home should be set up where different areas can be secured to keep visitors visible. Notice how modern police stations are built. Coded push button and electronic locks, automatic door closers.Solid wood doors with commercial grade captive pin hinges. Ballistic glass rated for medium velocity small arms. And a policy that no civilian gets past the lobby. The "community room" is always located in the lobby. Security cameras focused on lobby and parking lot. We should employ similar techniques to contain and control the movements of all visitors, including EMTs and cops.

Defensive architectural design might be a solution. The (late) Col. Jeff Cooper wrote about it and his own home contained these features. A home should be set up where different areas can be secured to keep visitors visible. Notice how modern police stations are built. Coded push button and electronic locks, automatic door closers.Solid wood doors with commercial grade captive pin hinges. Ballistic glass rated for medium velocity small arms. And a policy that no civilian gets past the lobby. The "community room" is always located in the lobby. Security cameras focused on lobby and parking lot. We should employ similar techniques to contain and control the movements of all visitors, including EMTs and cops.
Except we don't have unlimited taxpayer dollars to spend.

Yeah great fantasy but no cop is going ro see all that and think nothing of it. Ir would be all the more reason for a good shake down...

Except we don't have unlimited taxpayer dollars to spend.
il_570xN.1468024401_sz4y.jpg

Every ambulance call gets a free home inspection without a warrant.
Remember that before you call .
I was serviced by the town ambulance (FD operated) twice, and hauled in for processing (by the hospital, not the PD) once. No PD showed up either time, though there were at least three firefighters in the house each time. Nobody made any attempt to go anywhere not necessary to get to me and deal with my non-issue (both were false alarms and nothing was really wrong with me).

In recent weeks the house next door to me has had two medical aid calls. Ambulance shows up, EMT's do their thing, and a cruiser waits in my (wide, roomy) driveway. Cop stays in his car, I look out the window to make sure he doesn't bump my car (has happened at work, twice!) or get too curious. Show's over, everyone drives away, I go back to bed.
Not sure why the cops show up, must be bored.

This is BS. Total BS. Seems like COPS are looking for every possible reason to confiscate firearms these days at the behest of our corrupt pols.

In recent weeks the house next door to me has had two medical aid calls. Ambulance shows up, EMT's do their thing, and a cruiser waits in my (wide, roomy) driveway. Cop stays in his car, I look out the window to make sure he doesn't bump my car (has happened at work, twice!) or get too curious. Show's over, everyone drives away, I go back to bed.

Might depend on the call they receive (someone threatening suicide or something, for example), or it might be a town thing that requires police to respond to medical calls just to supervise. Could also be a slow night and they need something to do. I've seen police respond to a call for ambulance for a stroke before, too. Who knows.

I hate to be a cuck but here is what I have learned from this thread...

If the cops come to take your guns and ammo - your best bet is to comply and sort it out later.

The best way to do this is meet them at the door and hand over the guns and ammo in their protective cases.

You will likely get them all back after things are sorted out so you should let them have the cases so your guns wont get piled in the trunk and all marred up.

Doing the above will result in not getting additional charges that would affect your suitability and prevent you from ever getting your guns back.
They can break open your safe if they wanted so that will get ruined - so just open it up.

Any armed resistance will result in a poor outcome.

Every call in my town for EMS, police also show up, usually 2 cruisers.

In Portland, ME while on vacation a few years ago, a group sitting across from us . . . one guy from FL visiting his friends in ME was talking with them and suddenly went silent, steel-gray and fell over sideways with a fatal heart attack. EMS arrived and so did Portland Police. They asked us to leave the restaurant and take our lobster meals outside to the benches (it was Summer). Very polite but you wouldn't have gotten away with refusing.

What if you file no trespassing paperwork with the town hall regarding state officials. EMT are not state officials as far as im aware. So, id think everyone else would need to stay out side your door at the least. Unless they try to use the exigent circumstance excuse...

What if you file no trespassing paperwork with the town hall regarding state officials. EMT are not state officials as far as im aware. So, id think everyone else would need to stay out side your door at the least. Unless they try to use the exigent circumstance excuse...
No can do. Anyone in LE has a right to "trespass" if there on official business. Same for all gov't officials.

Yeah great fantasy but no cop is going ro see all that and think nothing of it. Ir would be all the more reason for a good shake down...
Not really. I am not suggesting fortifications that would be outrageous or obtrusive. Video cameras are decreasing in size and price. Impact resistant glass is easily obtainable. Hard wood solid core doors are much sturdier than cheap masonite ones. Double cylinder deadbolt on doors located near windows are also an inexpensive way to upgrade security if you do the work yourself. In-wall quick access gun lockers can be installed without too much effort. A front porch can be turned into a comfortable three season or four season living area by enclosing it. You meet EMTs and the like on this porch, with the front door securely locked. No entry without warrant. Your video security system will be silently recording the entire visit.

Two ways to prevent cops or anyone else from trespassing in your driveway. A simple chain secured to a pair of heavy duty pipes cemented into the ground is the cheapest. A better solution would be a construction site style swing gate with a heavy metal pipe that locks into an upright on the opposite side of the hinged end. Paint it to blend in with the surface of your driveway. Put several reflectors on the side facing the street. A heavy duty long-shank padlock will lock it securely.

Not really. I am not suggesting fortifications that would be outrageous or obtrusive. Video cameras are decreasing in size and price. Impact resistant glass is easily obtainable. Hard wood solid core doors are much sturdier than cheap masonite ones. Double cylinder deadbolt on doors located near windows are also an inexpensive way to upgrade security if you do the work yourself. In-wall quick access gun lockers can be installed without too much effort. A front porch can be turned into a comfortable three season or four season living area by enclosing it. You meet EMTs and the like on this porch, with the front door securely locked. No entry without warrant. Your video security system will be silently recording the entire visit.
Right because everyone calling 911 can meet them at the front door...

I hope you guys are wearing your hats,
because your brains are going to explode over this one...

New York State Conservationist,
Feb'15
On Patrol: Real stories from Conservation Officers and Forest Rangers in the field

Fire Leads to “Discowlvery”—
Sullivan County

ECO Matthew Baker responded to a complaint
of possible burning without a permit in the
Town of Thompson. When he arrived at the
reported location, the Monticello Fire Department
was on scene and had extinguished a fire in a
residence. The property owner wasn’t present
at the time, so the fire was deemed accidental.
While investigators searched the residence to
determine the fire’s cause, they found a dead
barred owl nailed to a wall in the basement.
Officer Baker contacted the owner, met with
him the following day, and issued a summons
for possession of a raptor without a permit.​

In case anyone wants an update, this was posted on YPD's FB:

"
GOOD morning Mike Jones, Trinka Porrata, and so many other Concerned Citizens and Facebook Followers.
This is Deputy Chief Xiarhos.
With all due respect, please do not tell us how to conduct Law Enforcement business in our community.
This was a tragic case and we are all fortunate it was not worse.
The man in question had just moved in to his home and had no gun safe and needed a place to keep his firearms until he healed from his wounds and we completed our investigation.
His name or address was never released to be public and he is not complaining or concerned about his safety.
There will be no charges filed against him, the unsecured handgun was under his control, and all weapons will be returned when he has all the equipment required to keep all firearms secured.
We always appreciate feedback and constructive input and we encourage you to obtain all the actual facts before commenting in such a negative manner on the actions of the men and women of Law Enforcement.
We are the ones on the front lines 24/7 serving and protecting this community and we understand all aspects of the laws in our Commonwealth.
We understand all of the negative and prejudice comments but this case has nothing to do with politics, or liberalism, or our Attorney General, or the lack of respect for our 2nd Amendment, or the Freedom of Information Act.
Keep following us as we encourage and appreciate the ability to educate through social media.
Feel free to call me at 5087750445 extension 2115 or stop in anytime at 340 Higgins Crowell Road in West Yarmouth. Stay safe and we appreciate your ongoing support in the Chief of Police, the Yarmouth Police Department, and Massachusetts Law Enforcement."

In case anyone wants an update, this was posted on YPD's FB:

"
GOOD morning Mike Jones, Trinka Porrata, and so many other Concerned Citizens and Facebook Followers.
This is Deputy Chief Xiarhos.
With all due respect, please do not tell us how to conduct Law Enforcement business in our community.
This was a tragic case and we are all fortunate it was not worse.
The man in question had just moved in to his home and had no gun safe and needed a place to keep his firearms until he healed from his wounds and we completed our investigation.
His name or address was never released to be public and he is not complaining or concerned about his safety.
There will be no charges filed against him, the unsecured handgun was under his control, and all weapons will be returned when he has all the equipment required to keep all firearms secured.
We always appreciate feedback and constructive input and we encourage you to obtain all the actual facts before commenting in such a negative manner on the actions of the men and women of Law Enforcement.
We are the ones on the front lines 24/7 serving and protecting this community and we understand all aspects of the laws in our Commonwealth.
We understand all of the negative and prejudice comments but this case has nothing to do with politics, or liberalism, or our Attorney General, or the lack of respect for our 2nd Amendment, or the Freedom of Information Act.
Keep following us as we encourage and appreciate the ability to educate through social media.
Feel free to call me at 5087750445 extension 2115 or stop in anytime at 340 Higgins Crowell Road in West Yarmouth. Stay safe and we appreciate your ongoing support in the Chief of Police, the Yarmouth Police Department, and Massachusetts Law Enforcement."

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbebjUYItKw

Back
Top Bottom