• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cape Cod man shoots pit bull that was biting him. Guns confiscated.

StevieP

NES Member
Massachusetts man shoots, kills pit bull that bit him in bed

The man told police he was in bed with his girlfriend and went to move the dog but it started biting him, prompting him to grab a handgun off the nightstand and shoot it dead.

The man was treated at the scene and taken to Cape Cod Hospital with serious injuries.

Police later seized the handgun, along with a shotgun and ammunition. The deceased dog was removed by Yarmouth Animal Control officials.

The man, whose name was not released, is fully licensed to have firearms in Massachusetts, police said.

No charges have been filed.

What the Hell? If no charges have been filed, why would they take his guns? Seems like legitimate self-defense. If you can't shoot a dog that's biting you in your own bed, what CAN you shoot???

wonder if the guns possibly not being locked up has something to do with it. It just says he grabbed it from his nightstand. Doesn’t say he reached into a safe or anything. Sucks if that’s the case.

wonder if the guns possibly not being locked up has something to do with it. It just says he grabbed it from his nightstand. Doesn’t say he reached into a safe or anything. Sucks if that’s the case.

Heller states this is unconstitutional, furthermore his gun was in use (protection) that use was effectively demonstrated as it was quickly deployed for said protection.

So much information missing from the article. Was it his own dog? Was it a neighbor's dog or a stray that had invaded the guy's house?

Is it normal in Mass for the state to confiscate your guns if you aren't charged with a crime? If so, what stops them from taking anyone's property for any reason?

Whose Pit Bull was it and why was it in his bed?
According to the Cape Cod Times he was fostering the dog.

WEST YARMOUTH — Yarmouth police and fire officials responded to a call Sunday reporting that a man had been bitten by his dog, and that he shot and killed the animal at a West Yarmouth home, according to a statement from the Yarmouth Police Department.

Emergency personnel responded to the call at 6:08 p.m. on Woodbine Avenue, finding a 25-year-old man with severe injuries to his left arm and a dead pit bull terrier, the statement says.

The man and his girlfriend had recently moved into the home and were fostering the animal, named Max, according to the statement. The pit bull supposedly attacked the man after he tried moving it as the couple were lying in bed. The man tried to get the dog to stop, but he wouldn’t, and the man then reached for a 9mm handgun near his nightstand and fired a single shot, which killed the dog, the statement says.

The man is fully licensed to have firearms in Massachusetts. The handgun, a 12-gauge shotgun and related ammunition were taken from the home for safekeeping at Yarmouth Police Department Headquarters, according to the statement, and Yarmouth animal control officers removed the deceased dog.

Yarmouth police detectives with support from the Barnstable County Sheriff’s Crime Scene Unit have opened an investigation into the incident.

So much information missing from the article. Was it his own dog? Was it a neighbor's dog or a stray that had invaded the guy's house?

Is it normal in Mass for the state to confiscate your guns if you aren't charged with a crime? If so, what stops them from taking anyone's property for any reason?
I’m going to say yes, at least in my case.

1: he is screwed if he has any more pits in the house that want the bed. And no guns.

2. The only way I could or would get my A.B. Off my bed was to push gently on his butt with a firm but quiet “let’s go” in the direction you wanted to steer him.

And away he went, never grab him from the front and pull, dumb move.

3. The dog may have gotten riled up from the girlfriend “going exorcist “ and was trying to save her. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom