• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cape Ann Sportsman's Club, Gloucester

Any members of the Cape Ann Sportsman's Club (CASC) here? I live in Marblehead and it seems that CASC is one of the closest clubs. Plus I love Gloucester, Dogtown, and boating on the Annisquam River, and CASC is right next to it all.
I picked up the application paperwork today and plan to go to the membership meeting this Wendesday to apply, but was wondering if anybody here could tell me a bit more about the club, if you happen to be a member. Also, I think I need one sponsor, so if you are willing to help with that, please let me know, too.
Thank you!

If anyone has interest in joining, come on down any Sunday and I'll give ya a tour. Bring your toys because you can shoot as my guest. Matt

Cape Ann Sportsman's Club

Hey does anyone know what the range qualifications are.

I live and beverly and im looking for a place to shoot besides S&W in springfield or Manchester Firing Line.

Went to the public shoot today, not crowded at all. Mike was the range officer. Seems like a nice club, I picked up membership application and will be going to the meeting on the 9th of September.

I used to shoot there years ago on Sunday mornings, really nice place, great people, you can't go wrong by joining there IMHO

Went to the public shoot today, not crowded at all. Mike was the range officer. Seems like a nice club, I picked up membership application and will be going to the meeting on the 9th of September.
If you happen to come across a fella with a big ole Sharps with a period piece telescopic sight that'll be me.

Well Figured i would give this one a bump. Wife and I went there for the public shoot on Sunday, wasn't very busy at all for the first hour we were there.Oh yeah we were at the very far right of the line at the end, when this guy gets there and pulls out his M1 Garand, now never hearing one of these things every being fired before I was definitely surprised. So wife is busy shooting my Savage 64 Fxp and I'm watching him about to fire and BAM!!, my wife about jumped off the bench. We were both wearing ear muffs and damn if it wasn't the funniest thing ever. Then Norm, the VP, was the range officer that day and was a great help for the both of us. At around 11:30-12, he gave us the tour of the property and told us stories of the establishment. The fishing pond that they had was great and can't wait to see what can be pulled from it. Going to head there this Wednesday to do my meet and greet to join the club. Nothing but great things to say about these people here, everyone was very helpful and polite in me asking questions about their weapons.
Thanks for the great experience.
Charles.

Hey does anyone know what the range qualifications are.

I live and beverly and im looking for a place to shoot besides S&W in springfield or Manchester Firing Line.

I live in Beverly too. S&W is a haul. It takes me 55 minutes to MFL from the Brimbal Ave Exit. Try Bob's in Salisbury, I go there a lot because it's close to my work and they're great guys. I belong to Mass Rifle in Woburn, they have 24 hour access. I really only shoot after dark. The only restrictions at MRA Loeb Range are no 50BMG and Slugs only load three rounds at a time. I love it.

I have to give the CASC a bump as my home club. I've been to a few others and although there are not a lot of frills, it is much homier than most places. The indoor range is kind of small and antiquated. Indoor, 22 rifles. Almost all handguns are allowed but no magnums and no jacketed ammo. Beyond that, you are good to go.

Shotgun fields are open every Sunday Morning (weather permitting) and some Wednesday or Thursday nights during the warmer months. Till dusk, no lights and our agreement with the neighbors is 9am till dusk. The shotgunners are the friendliest bunch of people you've ever met. I've visited and even been a member other places and NOWHERE has anyone been this nice and easy going. FWIW, I have been to a few other places not too far away (I will not name them), and the members would not look at you or say hello because you might cut into their shooting time.... Lame, IMO.

They run a rather informal trap and sporting clays program. Just for fun, no league and not really regulation, but all fun. Besides shotgun, which is near the clubhouse, there are Two ranges outdoors. A small pistol and a decent rifle range with 25, 50, 100 yard berms and rails with a nice bank for plinking at about 130.

It is a GREAT place to SHOOT. What I mean by that is, most of the folks are friendly and welcoming and what few rules there might be, are not enforced too strictly. There is a real common sense approach and that is refreshing these days. People are largely open and welcome you to try their toys if you are so inclined. I shot a 50BMG there not too long ago. Basically, do what you like but just be safe about it.

CASC runs CMP clinics, plate shoots, LTC courses, has an archery range, AR/AK days, cleaning clinics, lady's days etc.

If you expect a high-end environment with electronic gates, cameras and people cleaning up after you, this is not the place for you. If you live anywhere within 25 miles, you won't find a more chill and fun place to enjoy your shooting hobby.

So I'm a new member here interested in joining a club to learn how to shoot and pratice for duck hunting. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Who can I talk to about joining/getting a tour, etc?
thanks!
-Matt

So I'm a new member here interested in joining a club to learn how to shoot and pratice for duck hunting. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Who can I talk to about joining/getting a tour, etc?
thanks!
-Matt

Roll on up any sunday morning check the place out....fill out the paper work to join..every Second wednesday of the month there is a meeting...stop in a little early to turn in your paperwork and join...you will be nominated with out hassle and by the next meeting voted in,get the rules off the range and enjoying shooting a few days later.....

Oh and go Green this is a great forum!

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm still don't even have my LTC yet (hoping to have it within a a month or so) but I will definitely stop by at some point.

I just received my LTC and am wondering about the indoor range restriction which states:
"....non-magnum, non-jacketed (lead only) pistol calibers up to .45 may be used."
I have a Glock 19 and should not be shooting non jacketed lead (I am not even sure if I could get non jacketed lead in 9mm).
I would love to join this club as it sounds really nice and they have a family membership which makes it very affordable for me and my son (and eventually my wife) to join. I am not sure I would join, however, if I cannot use the indoor range. Am I interpreting this restriction correctly? I have seen other clubs that have the same size indoor ranges and don't mention a restriction like this.

Thanks

I just received my LTC and am wondering about the indoor range restriction which states:
"....non-magnum, non-jacketed (lead only) pistol calibers up to .45 may be used."
I have a Glock 19 and should not be shooting non jacketed lead (I am not even sure if I could get non jacketed lead in 9mm).
I would love to join this club as it sounds really nice and they have a family membership which makes it very affordable for me and my son (and eventually my wife) to join. I am not sure I would join, however, if I cannot use the indoor range. Am I interpreting this restriction correctly? I have seen other clubs that have the same size indoor ranges and don't mention a restriction like this.

Thanks

You can find lead ammo its out there . you can also reload it yourself and save some $$ . As for the glock and lead I have been shooting nothing through glocks but lead for the past 25 years with no problems at all. I have had probably 60 glocks in my life time all firing nothing but lead . Just keep it clean not that I do !

Back
Top Bottom