Cap & Ball Revolver Legal?

I received a Pietta 1858 New Army for Christmas but I'm unsure on some legalities. I would like to carry it on hikes and on camping trips (openly or in backpack) but how legal is this with only an MA FID Card? Then also say I don't end up firing it, Would it be legal to have it in just my pack loaded (w/o caps) until I could unloaded at home?

And also I'm now interested in one of those cartridge conversion cylinders but could I legally possess it with an FID? Is an FA-10 needed? Does adding a stock to it make it an SBR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that they are considered primitive weapons and therefore not legally firearms in that sense. But I'm not 100%

IMO...carrying this is going to set you up for a world of hurt. Regardless as to what is legal to do, expect that you will eventually come across some sort of LEO. It is likely, they will ask you questions. If you can't produce an LTC, I'd expect them to arrest you and let the courts figure it all out.

While you may be legally fine, it will cost you a bunch in lawyer fees and then you'll be unsuitable forever..

IMO. If you want to carry anything.. Get an LTC then a more
Suitable ccw..

I believe that there is case law indicating an LTC is needed to carry. Don't quote me, my advice is worth what you pay for it.

That WAS true due to case law (PP carrying BP pistol to avoid PP in possession charges).

It was overturned in another court case subsequently. I don't have citations handy.

I agree most LEOs won't know/care and if they find it may well arrest.

Having any cartridge cylinder with it puts it in LTC territory and would be illegal with only an FID.

Also check hunting laws C. 131 wrt carrying any handgun hiking/in the woods in MA. EPOs have much wider jurisdiction than you'd like to think.

Jefferson Liqary???
That WAS true due to case law (PP carrying BP pistol to avoid PP in possession charges).

It was overturned in another court case subsequently. I don't have citations handy.

I agree most LEOs won't know/care and if they find it may well arrest.

Having any cartridge cylinder with it puts it in LTC territory and would be illegal with only an FID.

Also check hunting laws C. 131 wrt carrying any handgun hiking/in the woods in MA. EPOs have much wider jurisdiction than you'd like to think.

To "carry" in public any modern day gun (or with cartridge cylinder mod to the BP gun), yes, LTC-A unrestricted only.

Boy do I hate disagreeing with LenS!

We all know restrictions are not defined. But to tell someone that they can't carry while hunting on a hunting restriction. Or while hiking on a sporting restriction is going a little too far.

-Mike

Boy do I hate disagreeing with LenS!

We all know restrictions are not defined. But to tell someone that they can't carry while hunting on a hunting restriction. Or while hiking on a sporting restriction is going a little too far.

-Mike

Mike, yes I did the broad brush. Unless one has a DEFINITION of their particular restriction written on PD stationary and signed, it is risky business at best. There are 351 sets of definitions of the restrictions and to be on the safe side I advise people to play it conservatively. When I teach it I explain it in more detail. Keyboarding I don't feel like writing a book for every response, just to cover every permutation possible.

So it's very "grey" area then. I just assumed that it would be better to keep a by definition "non firearm" cap & ball revolver in my pack rather than carry a rifle around and just happen to pass by sheep on the same trail.

Not meaning to answer my own question but if you don't need a LTC to carry a knife, club, ninja star, or rock (all potential weapons) why would you need one to carry a Cap & Ball?

So it's very "grey" area then. I just assumed that it would be better to keep a by definition "non firearm" cap & ball revolver in my pack rather than carry a rifle around and just happen to pass by sheep on the same trail.

Not meaning to answer my own question but if you don't need a LTC to carry a knife, club, ninja star, or rock (all potential weapons) why would you need one to carry a Cap & Ball?

You don't!

"Ninja star" is not legal to carry in MA. [wink]

ETA: Linked if you don't believe me...

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom