• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canton MA LTC application

natking52696

NES Member
Does anyone know how long it takes for the Canton, MA police department to follow up in regard to a a new LTC app?
I submitted my paperwork about 2 months ago with no follow up in regards to references or interview. Is that normal? Any info in regard to Cantons process and timeline would be great!

You already asked in the right thread, above. Your answers might take more than 90 minutes.

A little searching will show that Canton isn't known for being very easy-going with the license restrictions. If you haven't had an interview, call and check in. If you have, call the FRB hotline.

If you want more than that, you may need to wait for folks to wake up on a Saturday morning.

I liked your post because I saw that you also posted in the"Guide to gun rights in your town" thread. Which means you likely did a search before posting.
Good Job!
Sadly, I think your experience, while inexcusable by the town, is pretty normal. Canton has always been a town that drags their feet issuing LTC's, and used to impose restrictions pretty regularly when first issued, but hopefully that has changed as many towns are dropping the stupid restrictions, with the exception of a few hardcore holdout moonbat towns and cities.

I would check their website and see if you can find out who their licensing officer is, if you don't already know. Then send him an email and ask if he needs anything else from you and see if he can give you a feel for how long applications are taking these days.
It's ridiculous that you would even have to do that, but it's the simple truth of the matter.
Towns that are slow always blame the State, but the hold up is never the state. I know for a fact that my town, which is green as can be, takes forever because the licensing officer basically waits until he has a pile of them to process and then pounds them all through. The day I picked up my renewal, there was a line of people there to pick up their LTC's, and you know we didn't all apply on the same day!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long it takes for the Canton, MA police department to follow up in regard to a a new LTC app?
I submitted my paperwork about 2 months ago with no follow up in regards to references or interview. Is that normal? Any info in regard to Cantons process and timeline would be great!
Actually just found this on their website, which I swear wasn’t there when I looked for information beforehand. I’m glad there is at least a process.

As of September 1st, we are no longer accepting mailed or dropped off applications! ALL applicants (both new and renewal) will need to come into the station to sign up for a date/time in the appointment book located in our lobby. The book is labeled ‘FIREARMS APPOINTMENTS’.​

My uncle lives in Canton. He’s had run ins with the Canton police about gun licensing. Back when there was a class B license the PD said that’s the highest license they will issue. My uncle (84yo) as payback was issued a FID only and was told he could reapply in 2yrs. They’re super douchbags.
This post is written with all do respect for law enforcement.

Actually just found this on their website, which I swear wasn’t there when I looked for information beforehand. I’m glad there is at least a process.

As of September 1st, we are no longer accepting mailed or dropped off applications! ALL applicants (both new and renewal) will need to come into the station to sign up for a date/time in the appointment book located in our lobby. The book is labeled ‘FIREARMS APPOINTMENTS’.​

Peabody used to pull this BS years ago, IIRC they only allowed 10 slots for appointments each sign-up. I had moved in (renting), and made sure to move OUT before I renewed.

I remember waiting for my LTC. It took 6 months! But at least came with no restrictions.
Best advice I got from NES was use the time to save and educate yourself.

I took a few classes, and rented a whole buncha guns while waiting for my LTC ( you don't need a license for this). AFS ( MA Indoor Shooting Range Pistol Rifle American Firearms School ) is not far from you and has a decent rental list. And even though it wasn't cheap, it saved me a lot of hassle buying the wrong guns. Especially carry guns.
I was convinced I wanted a Glock. Then I shot a bunch of them. Not a Glock guy.
I didn't think I would like revolvers. Wrong! I love a nice wheel gun and 357magnum and 44 magnum are the shit. And shooting 38 special through a 4" S&W is like shooting 22. Very little recoil makes training fun, and they are super easy to shoot and scary accurate. 44 special is so mild that you will chuckle.

My license FINALLY came in on a Friday, the day before Halloween. I picked up my new LTC and Saturday morning, I was at Four Season when they opened. I left with a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel and a Sig 226 and a case of ammo, as well as a few boxes of hollow points for each, and a cheap ass holster until I could get nice ones.
The kids were still little then, and I remember trick or treating with them and feeling like everyone in the world would know I was carrying. ( No one ever does)
I still have both guns and will never sell them. I still shoot them all of the time.

Best of luck on the new LTC. It can not be overstated how valuable some training can be. It pays for itself because you are not wasting ammo trying to correct bad habits that are hard to overcome, and I just feel like if you are going to carry a firearm, you have a responsibility to become as proficient as possible, and to know the laws.
Shoot often and shoot safe.

Last edited:
What is with the BS having to go in person for a renewal? Wareham renewals are mail in, they use use your license photo from the registry and my finger prints didn't change.

There is an appointment book to the right of the front desk with the dates and times for available appointments. You pick an open spot and show up with your application and do everything at that time. There are two people who do them. I know other towns have issues of only doing so many appointments but they have always had a lot available for me to choose from and Ive never had an issue. They mail the license to you once it arrives.

Hell, it's way easier to buy cocaine than to get an LTC. There is something seriously wrong with that.
I'm genuinely a little miffed. You're 100% right.

We all love our "ATF should be a convenience store" memes, but now I really want to be able to walk into a corner store, pick up a handle, an 8 ball, some cigars, and a 10/22 and get a free box of ammo.

We used to be free. What happened?

This fellow is already a felon with a previous firearm problem. According to an older link. Just run the name. He is also associated with Brockton.

There is an appointment book to the right of the front desk with the dates and times for available appointments. You pick an open spot and show up with your application and do everything at that time. There are two people who do them. I know other towns have issues of only doing so many appointments but they have always had a lot available for me to choose from and Ive never had an issue. They mail the license to you once it arrives.
Yeah I saw that on the website! They wont take any more dropped off apps. Im glad there is a process!

Back
Top Bottom