• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canted sight

My frt sight on the AK is noticeably canted to the left, but still shooting dead on at whatever I point it at. Maybe it's just an OCD thing but is is worth replacing the sight or just leaving it?

It's a little annoying but im not sure it's worth going through all the trouble replacing it, just wondering if there any real issues in the log run with canted sights or to just leave them as they are

If you build muscle memory on a rifle with the sights setup wrong, and then one day find yourself needing to go to a different firearm (any firearm) where the sights are correct, is your natural instinct going to be to hold the firearm as if the sights were canted?
If so, suggest fixing it.

you can't link us to your google account. host it on imageshack, tinypic, etc.

can you replace the sight? yeah. is it worth it? depends on how much your time and energy is worth. have you worked on AKs before? If by working on you mean building one then no, but I can't see that fixing the post would be too hard

The front sight is pinned on and if it is canted one way or the other it is not an easy fix as most likely the holes are drilled incorrectly. I had a Pre-Ban Norinco that I was very happy with until my father said one day "Hey look at your front sight" It was canted to the left........sold it.

The front sight is pinned on and if it is canted one way or the other it is not an easy fix as most likely the holes are drilled incorrectly. I had a Pre-Ban Norinco that I was very happy with until my father said one day "Hey look at your front sight" It was canted to the left........sold it.

A canted sight is an easy fix.

Drive out the pins, align the front sight, ream the holes, and insert new pins that are slightly larger.

Figure I'll just ask here. Im going to be getting a virgin psl barrel one day lol.... :(

How you you start the drill bit? I'm a machinist by trade , how do you guys start the drill bit? Drilling pipe at work off center . If it's not a big bit or you don't use a center drill the bit flexes and walks .
Doesn't the the front sight base and all the other stuff keep it true?

Figure I'll just ask here. Im going to be getting a virgin psl barrel one day lol.... :(

How you you start the drill bit? I'm a machinist by trade , how do you guys start the drill bit? Drilling pipe at work off center . If it's not a big bit or you don't use a center drill the bit flexes and walks .
Doesn't the the front sight base and all the other stuff keep it true?

A machinist by trade and you don't have knowledge of which type of bit to use?

Easiest way I know is to use an end mill to make a flat surface and center bit to do the actual drilling. High speed and a solid clamp is recommended, along with using smaller bits and a reamer to clean/enlarge the holes before driving in the pins.

Make sure you check alignment after pressing on your blocks.

I thought about using a end mill but figure it was over kill. I was mainly thinking about the smaller pins. Hate using the tiny center drills, never clicked to use a punch. I feel dumb today.

I thought about using a end mill but figure it was over kill. I was mainly thinking about the smaller pins. Hate using the tiny center drills, never clicked to use a punch. I feel dumb today.

there's no such thing as "over" kill, there's "just enough" kill and "this isn't dead, kill it."

Back
Top Bottom