Cant shoot my carry pistol well

That doesn't apply to dry fire. You know there will be no noise and no recoil, but you can see the sights move off the target, you are simply pressing the trigger wrong.

You need to isolate your trigger finger movement from the rest of your hand

Hello all, I consider myself a very good shot especially for my experience level. Full size handguns and rifles are easy for me to shoot but I am struggling with my mp 9mm shield. I pretty much always shoot to the left slow or fast shooting. Btw I am left eye dominant and right handed. I have absolutely no problems with full frame handguns. I'm wondering if the shield is just not for me and should try another carry size gun???
It's the thin grip. Try a M&P subcompact and see if that helps. That's why I don't like single stacks. Grip fit is very important in SD because you may be doing some quick point shooting.

Does that shield have a MA trigger? If so that may be the problem.

Edit: Oops, I guess I should have checked the OP date.

Last edited:
It's the thin grip. Try a M&P subcompact and see if that helps. That's why I don't like single stacks. Grip fit is very important in SD because you may be doing some quick point shooting.

Does that shield have a MA trigger? If so that may be the problem.

Edit: Oops, I guess I should have checked the OP date.
+1 for the M&P Subcompact. Saw a youtube video where someone said it was obsolete since the 365 holds the same number of rounds. I still love the double stack design of it and enjoy the added bulk.

I Love my G43.... but I had a chance to shoot my Chiefs 365, and Goddamn if that isn't a nice tight Package. Tight like a tiger
i just got back from zeroing new .22lr gen5 advantage arms slide for my glock, and then ran some rounds through the 365, first time in last 2 months i think.
i think it is quite a typical group for it - it shows well what is different in there from g43 and so on - with trigger finger in deep, as i am used to, with any lack on the grip it pulls a bit to the right, but, frankly, from 12yds it is a negligible amount and for the iron sights small gun i would say it shoots brilliantly.
all those shots would be still in the same forehead, and as soon as i caught my mistake it went closer to the bullseye.

and it never goes left low, as you do not really push the trigger in a way as some do with glock - trigger is different there. just need to remember not to put trigger finger in as deep as with glock.
stock front sight is still ugly large, but, heck with it.

1615476029950.png

i just got back from zeroing new .22lr gen5 advantage arms slide for my glock, and then ran some rounds through the 365, first time in last 2 months i think.
i think it is quite a typical group for it - it shows well what is different in there from g43 and so on - with trigger finger in deep, as i am used to, with any lack on the grip it pulls a bit to the right, but, frankly, from 12yds it is a negligible amount and for the iron sights small gun i would say it shoots brilliantly.
all those shots would be still in the same forehead, and as soon as i caught my mistake it went closer to the bullseye.

and it never goes left low, as you do not really push the trigger in a way as some do with glock - trigger is different there. just need to remember not to put trigger finger in as deep as with glock.
stock front sight is still ugly large, but, heck with it.

View attachment 460435

This is about 45 rds from a gen 5 g19 at 15yds, drawing from concealment and shooting 5rd groups. I had a couple fliers but I was able to call them and correct for the next shot. (The shots on the neck on the cardboard are from a different day with a new shooter I brought with me.)
20210306_140131.jpg
This is then the last 5 rds from the box, drawing from concealment, at 15 yds from my p365. (I pulled one but I know what I did there and was able to call that shot)

20210306_144848.jpg

These were all fired with splits at about .25-.35 seconds, I'm usually at 1.3-2.0 sec from beep to first shot depending on gun, clothing, and holster. If you train, and practice regularly, it doesn't matter what gun is in your hands they'll all do the same thing. There should be really no difference between guns, I grip them all the same and press the trigger all the same. The only exception is a 1911, my thumb rides the safety on a 1911 which is different for me then on striker or da/sa guns where I leave my right thumb up and off the gun. The range doesn't matter too much either other than the group will tighten up a bit or loosen a bit depending on how far away I am, but my shots will pretty much always stay inside that 6" circle out to 25 yds if I do my part.

Last edited:
This is about 45 rds from a gen 5 g19 at 15yds, drawing from concealment and shooting 5rd groups. I had a couple fliers but I was able to call them and correct for the next shot. (The shots on the neck on the cardboard are from a different day with new shooter I brought with me.)

View attachment 460437

These were all fired with splits at about .25-.35 seconds, I'm usually at 1.3-2.0 sec from beep to first shot depending on gun, clothing, and holster. If you train, and practice regularly, it doesn't matter what gun is in your hands they'll all do the same thing. There should be really no difference between guns, I grip them all the same and press the trigger all the same. The only exception is a 1911, my thumb rides the safety on a 1911 which is different for me then on striker or da/sa guns where leave my right thumb up and off the gun.
great group. my primary grief with the 365 is that the front sight is so large, i have trouble focusing and seeing well on the sides of it, especially in the rather dark indoor range. i just need to practice with it more often. that small gun can definitely deliver when used correctly.

great group. my primary grief with the 365 is that the front sight is so large, i have trouble focusing and seeing well on the sides of it, especially in the rather dark indoor range. i just need to practice with it more often. that small gun can definitely deliver when used correctly.
you should not need to see the sides of it, the p365 front sight is very normal size and easy to be precise with, hence my 4 shots inside that 1" nra slow fire 10 ring at 15yds! your focus should be on the sight itself, as long as you keep the front sight centered over the bullseye and maintain sight alignment while you press the trigger and follow through you should hit the center, you do not need to see "around" the sight. I shot that first series of (9) 5 shot groups with a g19 with XS DXT2 big dots with a massive front dot, most of those 45 shots went through that same 1.5" empty hole just below the 10 ring and I can tell you the front sight was covering that entire black circle, maybe even a little more than the black circle...

Keep in mind here are the target dimensions of that slow fire target and it's rings... the black circle is 3.07"

B-250ft 0.901.542.233.074.165.567.33

If you have trouble focusing on the front sight you should bring a blue gun or just a slide from a pistol to your eye dr's office and hold it out in front of you and point your finger to the front sight and say "hey doc see this front sight in front of my face on the end of this pistol? I need to be able to see and focus on that clearly" Or go see a pro 2a eye doc, there is at least one on here that I know of.

Last edited:
you should not need to see the sides of it, the p365 front sight is very normal size and easy to be precise with, hence my 4 shots inside that 1" nra slow fire 10 ring at 15yds! your focus should be on the sight itself, as long as you keep the front sight centered over the bullseye and maintain sight alignment while you press the trigger and follow through you should hit the center, you do not need to see "around" the sight. I shot that first series of (9) 5 shot groups with a g19 with XS DXT2 big dots with a massive front dot, most of those 45 shots went through that same 1.5" empty hole just below the 10 ring and I can tell you the front sight was covering that entire black circle, maybe even a little more than the black circle...

Keep in mind here are the target dimensions of that slow fire target and it's rings... the black circle is 3.07"

B-250ft0.901.542.233.074.165.567.33

If you have trouble focusing on the front sight you should bring a blue gun or just a slide from a pistol to your eye dr's office and hold it out in front of you and point your finger to the front sight and say "hey doc see this front sight in front of my face on the end of this pistol? I need to be able to see and focus on that clearly" Or go see a pro 2a eye doc, there is at least one on here that I know of.
i do not disagree with what you say.
i just have a set of sights on the cz shadow 2 for comparison and it is what i would prefer to have on the 365. exactly that, actually. may be with time i will get to it. i was shooting at a single red 1" diamond patch on the black solid background at 12yds, right upper corner of that target and in this case it was not easy to place that thick front sight exactly over it as it was completely blocked and not visible at all. all you see is the black background around. with shadow 2 sights you can actually position it right against the center of the diamond itself.
i still managed to hit it, but, well, i will get to it, eventually, if i find a set of sights for 365 that i`ll like. for self defence purposes it is more than ok.

1615485212943.png

Back
Top Bottom