• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cant decide, small 9mm?

I have a 938 and a M&P 9c if you would like to try either of them. I know you live close to me. Let me know

Ill definately keep this in mind. My schedule right now is very hectic but should slow down in a week or two.

I am leaning heavily towards a M&P series gun. Just a lot of bang for your buck. Unless AIM gets their G19s in again.

[smile]Daaamn... this thread inspired me yesterday... spent 2 hrs at the range late yesterday with another member here... I broke out as many of my M&P's as I thought I could shoot... [smile] .... took all the 40taaaas.. the Shield, compact and FS... they were all still a blast to shoot... even brought my 45fs.. forgot how amazing a shooter that 45 is.. sorry, I didn't bring my Shield 9, but the 40 was still easy shooting and target acquisition for me. My friend brought his Shield 9 though so you was represented.. for 9's, my Vtac and 5" PC were just too easy to shoot... did all rapid shooting and from 25yds since we were on the rifle range and too many guys shooting rifles..

My vote still goes to the Shield or M&P9c if you want more capacity.. if you haven't shot one try that too..

Can't wait to go back! Need to work on my grip for sure. Your .40 shield shot great I seemed to shoot better with it than my 9mm one...

45 shot great too[smile]

Ruger lc9s is definitely something to try and "feel" before buying, great gun, awesome trigger now after they made it striker-fired!

I would get a 19 over the 17 if you plan to carry it. Glad some people can get some use of this thread. Its hard picking out a handgun for someone else lol

I am on the same boat. I have been looking into the shield, xds and will look into the lc9. Due to finances, it will have to be EDC and range toy. Might also consider a glock 17

Honestly, your EDC should be your #1 range gun as well. Shoot the shit out of it, they don't wear out as quick as some people think, and when they do, a few parts and you're back in business [smile]

OP, there's a Glock 19 in the classifieds for $950. That's a real bargain, and he's willing to trade for a Sig Legion, which is a nice option.

Just wanted to update. Originally after this was posted I found a great deal on a Lone wolf 9mm barrel to swap into my G33. As much as I enjoy it, and the gun is a absolute tack driver it just wasnt filling the void I was looking for, plus changing barrels back and forth at the range sucked.

So this past weekend I went out with a buddy who just got his LTC, first we ventured to Four Seasons for the first time. Holy crap that place was a zoo, but I just couldnt find anything I liked except maybe a SR9c.

After that we came back to worcester and went to The Gun Parlor, great guys there but they just didnt have anything I was looking for especially in 9mm. Plenty of Fortays though. Decided to start browsing on here more when a NIB S&W M&P 9c showed up, just what I was looking for! No one had one in stock, especially for the price of a Shield. Love the feel of it, and I picked it up with a extra magazine. Dropping the gun off at LaRocca to have the trigger done and the magazine safety removed, then its off to the range!

Attachments

• IMG_20160331_223857.jpg
    IMG_20160331_223857.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 86
shot my PPS m2 for the first time...much easier to shoot than the glock 43...fits my hand better than the shield...now if the frigging Walther engineers can explain to me why a gun basically the exact same size as the shield fits one less rd I would be happy

I would agree, it may be a small single stack but its pretty enjoyable to shoot. On the other hand I tried my brothers 340PD lately, 5 shots and Ill never shoot the useless thing again. For me the shield was too small for my intended purpose but with my hands and such, the 9c was a perfect choice. I look at it as a poor mans G19 with no prebans.

I would agree, it may be a small single stack but its pretty enjoyable to shoot. On the other hand I tried my brothers 340PD lately, 5 shots and Ill never shoot the useless thing again. For me the shield was too small for my intended purpose but with my hands and such, the 9c was a perfect choice. I look at it as a poor mans G19 with no prebans.

great choice... lots of combinations with the M&P compact.. if you want a little more grip you can always use full size mags.. as for your 340 experience, I suspect you shot it with full load 357's... I shot the 340 recently at the range, the guy tried to hand me 357 rounds to load, but I saw the 38sp box sitting on the table... I laughed at him, told him I'll try it with the 38's... it was beautiful, handled great. I traded for one of those snubby 327PC 8 shot revolvers last year. It came with full load black talon 357 loads... I took one shot and promptly sold it... now after shooting the 340 with 38's, kinda wish I kept the 327pc now.

great choice... lots of combinations with the M&P compact.. if you want a little more grip you can always use full size mags.. as for your 340 experience, I suspect you shot it with full load 357's... I shot the 340 recently at the range, the guy tried to hand me 357 rounds to load, but I saw the 38sp box sitting on the table... I laughed at him, told him I'll try it with the 38's... it was beautiful, handled great. I traded for one of those snubby 327PC 8 shot revolvers last year. It came with full load black talon 357 loads... I took one shot and promptly sold it... now after shooting the 340 with 38's, kinda wish I kept the 327pc now.

Yeah they were Federal .357 loads. Ill stick with my 642 snubby. My brother says he loves shooting it with .357 MAG but after his hand was bruised and blistered I dont see the point. That gun will never do something I need that one of my others do. I promptly put it down and picked my G33 .357 SIG

Yeah they were Federal .357 loads. Ill stick with my 642 snubby. My brother says he loves shooting it with .357 MAG but after his hand was bruised and blistered I dont see the point. That gun will never do something I need that one of my others do. I promptly put it down and picked my G33 .357 SIG

It'll do everything your 642 does and more...

I only use the 642 for ankle carry at work because something is better than nothing. I do industrial maintenance so carrying is impossible aside from that. Picked up the 642 used for 300. Just needed a "beater." I wouldnt use one of those fancy PDs as a beater gun, especially at the price range. Personally Id rather shoot the 642 over the 340PD as well and it only cost me 1/3 of what he paid for his.

I only use the 642 for ankle carry at work because something is better than nothing. I do industrial maintenance so carrying is impossible aside from that. Picked up the 642 used for 300. Just needed a "beater." I wouldnt use one of those fancy PDs as a beater gun, especially at the price range. Personally Id rather shoot the 642 over the 340PD as well and it only cost me 1/3 of what he paid for his.

I agree wholeheartedly with the cost factor... I'd have to find a smoking deal to get a 340pd... but for $350 new.. I bought the 360J same gun basically, cept it doesn't shoot 357... and I get the benefit of carrying a gun that is lighter than the 642..

Do Shield owners use it at the range for training purposes or is it actually an enjoyable range gun?
once I had Greg Derr do the trigger job it turned into a much easier and more fun firearm to use at the range.
plus I put one of these pachmayr grips on new grip.jpg and it turned it into a much more comfortable gun to shoot a lot of rounds through. with 124 grain ammo it's actually a lot of fun to shoot now.
Stock...........not so much

Do Shield owners use it at the range for training purposes or is it actually an enjoyable range gun?

I typically shoot 150 to 200 rounds through mine at a time without any issues or discomfort. The Shields are comfortable, and pretty soft shooting. I'll be taking mine up to Mr. Derr soon, even though it's got a free state trigger.

So after reading this post, and been thinking about what 9 to buy, brought the wife out and we looked at a few and decided on the Ruger SR9c...love the size and feel, trigger pull is awesom. Can't wait to fire off a few hundred rounds with it tomorrow! !

Jim - Western Massachusetts

I have a Gen 1 Walther PPS for sale. The gun is awesome and is great for range or carry. For my daily wardrobe, I have to have something smaller to carry and only have room for 1 in my 'narrow' gun budget. Again, I really like the gun- super accurate, easy to shoot, comfortable...
I have an ad with pictures in the classifieds, so take a look and PM me if interested and we can talk about price.

I agree wholeheartedly with the cost factor... I'd have to find a smoking deal to get a 340pd... but for $350 new.. I bought the 360J same gun basically, cept it doesn't shoot 357... and I get the benefit of carrying a gun that is lighter than the 642..
I have the same 360j and jusy ordered this cyl http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...onfirmation-_-OrderConfirmation-_-ProductLink
Will have a 360pd minus the front sight for under $500 and have a spare .38 cyl.

Back
Top Bottom