• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cant decide, small 9mm?

Ruger LC9s. My wife has tiny hands and loves it. I have big hands and love it.
Not it all that fond of the choices you gave so we probably have different tastes in guns.

This....and coming from someone who literally loves his Glocks. But my wife liked the LC9s and bought it and I've shot it many times. Nice "little" gun and even easier to conceal than my G43. (extra round capacity too).

Lots of good choices out there, but you can't go wrong with a M&P 9mm Shield. It's a great gun, good shooter that works well as an EDC and range toy.
Any gun that needs a $100 trigger to even be a decent gun isn't worth it to me, just buy the LC9S for less money than the shitty trigger Shield and spend the $100 trigger money on 500 rounds of 9mm.....

The PPS would likely be the most fun to shoot at the range, but I would dry fire the trigger before I bought one to make sure it wasn't awful.

another vote for the Shield.
have Greg Derr do the trigger for you (if you don't like it as is)
which is less than what an Apex kit would cost and you have an awesome little gun.

S&W 908 (less money than a 3913 and it's the same except for a couple plastic parts). Or jump on a Glock 19 gen 2 at Aimsurplus for under $400 the next time they have them.

Any gun that needs a $100 trigger to even be a decent gun isn't worth it to me, just buy the LC9S for less money than the shitty trigger Shield and spend the $100 trigger money on 500 rounds of 9mm.....

another vote for the Shield.
have Greg Derr do the trigger for you (if you don't like it as is)
which is less than what an Apex kit would cost and you have an awesome little gun.

I love my Shield. Just get an Apex trigger kit (obviously).

How about buy a shield, forget the god damn trigger and learn how to shoot it. I guaran-****ing-tee that if you give me a box stock shield, 200 rounds of ammo, and 2 hours, I'll out shoot each of you with fancy, "I can't run my gun so I'll try to buy good shooting" triggers.
How about this: Man up, learn your f-ing craft, and stop blaming the equipment for shitty technique.

Last edited:
How about buy a shield, forget the god damn trigger and learn how to shoot it. I guaran-****ing-tee that if you give me a box stock shield, 200 rounds of ammo, and 2 hours, I'll out shoot each of you with fancy, "I can't run my gun so I'll try to buy good shooting" triggers.
How about this: Man up, learn your f-ing craft, and stop blaming the equipment for shitty technique.

I took this same approach with my M&P 45c. Been two years and I still havent done anything to the trigger. Everytime I look at the apex kits my jewish side kicks in and Im too cheap to buy one. End up spending the money on ammo and twizzlers..

I plan to try out a LC9s today so we will see how that goes. I sat back and was thinking about it but maybe I should also pick up the Lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my 33. Would be a cheap way to add another 9mm.

+1. I shot my stock MA M&P9 like a sewing machine.

I used to say something like that about my M&P 40. I've also got a Shield, which I have no problem with. But after picking up a M&P Pro and PC, that M&P MA trigger feels like a brick wall by comparison.

95% of the time I carry my Glock 26 which I find very comfortable. The other 5% is a Ruger LC9 which believe it or not, I find digs into my hip more. Ymmv

I carry the LC9,and love it.

For size I like this gun, but I have one bitch with it. Its not the easiest gun to shoot. Its snappy for a 9mm and Never worked so hard to keep shots in the circle. In a stressful situation I wouldnt be confident with it. IMO. I have the shield and its great. I imagine with alot of training you could be great with thr gun.

10-11lb trigger pull on a subcompact sucks ass dude. Sucks on any gun. I can understand why people change it... And it's only $100.

Don't think it's necessarily fancy... Just a mod that makes shooting the gun much more pleasant.

Some just cant compare to your awesomeness. I would argue with enough training most anything is possible but when the SHT fan it a whole other story and even with your awesomeness you would probably pull or push some shots. With a great trigger those shots would be mitigated so why not if you could afford it? Not sure if you are from massachusetts but these guns were not originally designed with 10 lb trigger pulls it F'N stupid and a story for another day. I personally work my ass off with trigger control at the range and put 1500 down range with my new shield stock trigger and all and can shoot it great. BUT, not as good as my 9C with apex trigger and Im sure if I installed it on my shield my groups would tighten with less work. Technology good, so long as it doesnt replace training!

Not to pop anyones bubble here... but, if you just replace the sear on the Shield with the APEX sear, you have a trigger as good as any of these guns..... and the cost .... is about $40 for the sear. Replacing the striker block really isn't necessary. You don't have to replace the trigger either... so the reality is, 20 minutes of work anyone can do with a small hammer and a couple of punches...

10-11lb trigger pull on a subcompact sucks ass dude. Sucks on any gun. I can understand why people change it... And it's only $100.

Don't think it's necessarily fancy... Just a mod that makes shooting the gun much more pleasant.

I get that, but most dudes say "I have to put a trigger in it to make it shoot well"....patently false. It will make it easier to shoot well, but a vanilla M&P will mechanically out shoot 90% of the people who buy it. It's not the gun's fault that the shooter can't keep them all on a paper plate at 15 yards.

Some just cant compare to your awesomeness. I would argue with enough training most anything is possible but when the SHT fan it a whole other story and even with your awesomeness you would probably pull or push some shots. With a great trigger those shots would be mitigated so why not if you could afford it? Not sure if you are from massachusetts but these guns were not originally designed with 10 lb trigger pulls it F'N stupid and a story for another day. I personally work my ass off with trigger control at the range and put 1500 down range with my new shield stock trigger and all and can shoot it great. BUT, not as good as my 9C with apex trigger and Im sure if I installed it on my shield my groups would tighten with less work. Technology good, so long as it doesnt replace training!

I'm not awesome, I do not have awesomeness; I just learned how to shoot. No crutches, no fancy gizmos, just a set of clean and precise sights and a lot of ammo. I can sympathize with the plight of the 10lb trigger in your shitty state, and sometimes I don't take that into account when I rant on the "I don't want to actually train, but I want to shoot like Proctor" crowd. That being said, you can still work that trigger and shoot proficiently, but people want to blame the tool, not the handyman.

WRT the text that I made red....My point exactly. Could I benefit from a fire control work over in my favorite pistol? Probably. Could I benefit more from spending that money on ammo and just owning that bitch like a Yugo? Most certainly, so that's what I do.

Because fighting a shit trigger is not something anyone should waste ammo on. Particularly not when it costs peanuts to fix. I agree people with strong fundamentals can shoot even a shit MA trigger well, but suggesting a noob fight that POS is kinda reckless. It's so bad that I think in beginners it will induce problems.

Also... just to add to the myth, you need a lite trigger to shoot well... 5 years ago, I was brandy new at shooting. I knew nothing about triggers and especially about the M&P having a 10 lb trigger pull.... My 1st gun was a M&P40fs... I didn't know about NES, M&P pistol Form... S&W forums or any other gun forums online.. I went to the shooting range at S&W Sporting Center and practiced shooting with a few tips from whoever was there and would help.. Out of the box I was shooting 3" or smaller groups with my POS 10lb plus M&P trigger.. oh ya, and with a 40 SW caliber that is supposed to be even more uncontrollable. So needless to say, when I read about all these stories, how bad the trigger is on the M&P's and how one can't possibly be accurate or protect themselves in a SD situation... I bristle at the ridiculousness of those statements. I have to say.... I agree with Jibbr... maybe not quite as blunt in his statement, but I feel the same way..[smile] you're right on Jib !!! I spent hours in front of the tv practicing trigger control.. I didn't have to shoot 1,000 rounds to get better.

Lastly, as for the SD situation.... another joke, in my opinion... first off, if we were in a SD situation, it happens within 15ft... secondly... if you think you will have the time to aim and hit the perp... think again... you better be practicing point and shoot more than point, aim and shoot... cause it ain't gonna happen the waY YOU THINK IT WILL... how heavy your trigger weight is ain't gonna make a hill of beans difference, JMHO...

For size I like this gun, but I have one bitch with it. Its not the easiest gun to shoot. Its snappy for a 9mm and Never worked so hard to keep shots in the circle. In a stressful situation I wouldnt be confident with it. IMO. I have the shield and its great. I imagine with alot of training you could be great with thr gun.

I agree

Back
Top Bottom