• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can't believe what I paid for 5.56

Don't like the price find some where else. Can't find ammo for a decent price don't buy and just wait . It's one thing if you need carry ammo I say just pay the cheapest price you can then.

Heck the guy I deal with at the Tewksbury gun store ask me where I buy my ammo from and told me he's trying to get the owner to lower there prices there. I will not buy ammo from that store till the price goes down.

Just paid 10.99 a box at HS in auburn. Not mad at them for the price, I know it's the industry, but DAMN. It was Federal AR5.56 and there was a 4 box limit. This panic is insane

You got a deal. Last I saw at my local shop was going 15/box.

The current shortage is not due to bans, taxes, or even the government buying it up.

The current shortage is caused by high consumer demand.

This, and basic economics has shown us that when demand exceeds supply, suppliers will raise prices to push demand back to equilibrium. Over some period of time pricing will become "normal" again.

You need to take a break from the internet Mass-Diver and get laid. You're arguing with yourself and de-railing this thread. Ammo prices are market driven while also maintaining the free market principle. Gun ban talk happens, people don't feel safe and want to protect themselves/family. Ammo gets harder to find, also the price goes up. What's so hard to understand?

Ok, I don't want to derail the thread so this will be my last post.

In closing, I obviously disagree with all your points about the current price increases being a result of free market principles. In fact, I believe it's just the opposite. The AGs role in attempting to stop Internet sales in MA, the laws banning FTt ammo sales, and the ammo storage laws are all examples of government interference in the market place.

I won't beat a dead horse anymore though even though I think I'm right and you are wrong :)

In terms of getting laid, I'll try to work the wife for a least a quick hj.

I'm not saying that any shop is bending people over more than another its just that the market itself is insane right now. I gotta start reloading, I know this

So let me get this correct. You are bitching about paying 15 cents more a round than pre SH prices? Before all the bullshit you could get a 100rd box of federal bulk .223 at Wally-world for $40. That is 40 cents a round. You bought 20rd boxes for $11 a box. That is 55 cents a round for the same ammo. Considering the number of people paying $1+ per round. I would say you found some ammo at half price. Now don't get me wrong I think the price of ammo is ridiculous rite now. But either way that is still the best price I have even heard of for 5.56 since SH. Hell if I could find some at that price then I could actually afford to go to the egg shoot next month.

What is all this talk on ammo bans? Maybe people actually think that stuff will go through. I don't. I buy my ammo to shoot. Sure some of it I have sold or traded for stuff I need or want more, but I am not stockpiling it like some people thinking it's all going to end tomorrow.

Why stockpile ammo? You can only carry so much if the SHTF. In that case kill your enemy and take his ammo.

WOW I just read some of the last posts. Seriously? Are you guys trying to have a "free" market discussion while talking about "REGULATED" items. OK go buy a brand new glock here in mass then come talk to me about the "free market". It is precisely the gov. (state or local, in this case state) that guarantees there is no free market here in mass. Guns you can buy for $450 in other states can't be bought here for any price. Exactly what is free about that market. You do realize that free market means free from regulation. There is no such thing as a free market left in any industry in the country. Just some that are less free than others.

I don't know if they are still taking back orders....but, I will say that brownells.com sent me a tracking number on Friday [which was ordered back in mid-Oct 2012] for two drums of Federal XM855 62 grain green tips....of 12,500 rounds each...at a cost of $5146/drum which works out to be 25K rounds $.41/round....plus shipping..and its coming by freight collect on a pallet...and I am located in Cook County, IL. Also have been able to find Black Hills Mk 262 locally for roughly $.80/round which is far and away the best 5.56x45 I have ever shot.....anyone ever tried ammoengine.com?

I don't know if they are still taking back orders....but, I will say that brownells.com sent me a tracking number on Friday [which was ordered back in mid-Oct 2012] for two drums of Federal XM855 62 grain green tips....of 12,500 rounds each...at a cost of $5146/drum which works out to be 25K rounds $.41/round....plus shipping..and its coming by freight collect on a pallet...and I am located in Cook County, IL. Also have been able to find Black Hills Mk 262 locally for roughly $.80/round which is far and away the best 5.56x45 I have ever shot.....anyone ever tried ammoengine.com?

25,000 rounds? [shocked][shocked]

Why stockpile ammo? You can only carry so much if the SHTF. In that case kill your enemy and take his ammo.

I don't. I said others do.

For whatever reason, people insist on shooting the guns that are hardest to find ammo for right now. Give the AR and Glock a rest for a bit and pick up a shotgun. Entry level guns are super cheap and ammo is STILL cheap and plentiful. I'm literally having a hard time finding room to stack away all my shells.

Only problem is that what DHS bought was 9MM and .40S&W.....don't remember seeing that they bought any 5.56x45.........the larger problem is that DOD is now destroying spent brass rather than selling it.

Only problem is that what DHS bought was 9MM and .40S&W.....don't remember seeing that they bought any 5.56x45.........the larger problem is that DOD is now destroying spent brass rather than selling it.

I still find it shocking that you just unloaded $11k on 25,000 rounds of ammo. That sir, is bad ass. [laugh]

I still find it shocking that you just unloaded $11k on 25,000 rounds of ammo. That sir, is bad ass. [laugh]

Think of it this way...if each of us has a number of friends that we shoot with...I can always off load a portion of it....let's do some simple math....if I paid 41 cents a round....lets say I sell 10K rounds at 65 cents a round....that is $6,500 in pocket...which means I got 15K rounds for $4,500...which works out to be 30 cents a round for 15K rounds....the point being....if you have savings....you can pick how you invest.....this time around I went long on ammo....and even at 60 cents I am not exactly screwing anyone.

Think of it this way...if each of us has a number of friends that we shoot with...I can always off load a portion of it....let's do some simple math....if I paid 41 cents a round....lets say I sell 10K rounds at 65 cents a round....that is $6,500 in pocket...which means I got 15K rounds for $4,500...which works out to be 30 cents a round for 15K rounds....the point being....if you have savings....you can pick how you invest.....this time around I went long on ammo....and even at 60 cents I am not exactly screwing anyone.

I hear ya.

Well, either way, have fun shooting all of it. [laugh]

Nothing against them either but they wanted $35 for Federal American Eagle 9mm 50ct a few weeks ago. I needed it but not that bad. The guns they had seemed to be fairly priced. The owner is a great guy.

Just paid 10.99 a box at HS in auburn. Not mad at them for the price, I know it's the industry, but DAMN. It was Federal AR5.56 and there was a 4 box limit. This panic is insane

Actually, you should be mad at them for the price. The wholesale price of ammo has barely budged from this summer.

Wholesale price for Federal Lake City XM193 has only gone up from $290 to $330. The retail price has gone from $350 to $550 in your case.
And you actually got lucky. I've seen web sites with this ammo listed for $850 and it was all sold out. Crazy.

Green tip is awesome. I'd be IN with like 6-10 people.

I got lucky this summer. I was offered boxes of pulled green tip bullets. 2600 per box for $190. I bought 6 boxes. I sold 2 for profit, 2 to a friend at cost, and kept 2 for myself. When the going gets tough, investing in components can keep you shooting much longer for a given spend than buying loaded ammunition.

Just left hs trading with 100 round box m193 for 45. In addition to a goid price all things considered also have one of the lowest transfer fee around and friendly and great service. Just wish I livee closer

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 in an antis office just to feel rebellious

Back
Top Bottom