Can't believe what I paid for 5.56

A free market, by definition, can't exist in the setting of ammo bans, taxes, etc.

What is all this talk on ammo bans? Maybe people actually think that stuff will go through. I don't. I buy my ammo to shoot. Sure some of it I have sold or traded for stuff I need or want more, but I am not stockpiling it like some people thinking it's all going to end tomorrow.

That's the way I read it. My apologies if that is not what he is saying. It's a free market. HS Trading or Pullman Arms or Four Seasons can charge what they want. They are in business ot make money, not to coddle everyone.

and you are right about people being in business to make money, thats why they opened a business [grin] anyone can charge what ever they like for a product or service but in my eyes and in the eyes of others when you overcharge/gouge/rape you are only biting the hand that feeds you.

What is all this talk on ammo bans? Maybe people actually think that stuff will go through. I don't. I buy my ammo to shoot. Sure some of it I have sold or traded for stuff I need or want more, but I am not stockpiling it like some people thinking it's all going to end tomorrow.

In this state? An ammo tax or ban would hardly be shocking.

Here's the parallel: MGs, legal to own, but due to government regulation they cost too much for many of us to purchase. An M16 in a true free market would cost the same as an AR15, instead, gov regulation has manipulated the market so that they cost 25K.

Increasing the cost of gun ownership through regulation/taxes/mandatory insurance is something I strongly oppose.

That's great, but none of those things have happened with ammo. And if it eventually does, your beef should be with the laws and those who passed it, not with those selling the items. The freemarket HAS to adjust to the reality of any conditions, constitutional or not. It can't function otherwise.

Last edited:
and you are right about people being in business to make money, thats why they opened a business [grin] anyone can charge what ever they like for a product or service but in my eyes and in the eyes of others when you overcharge/gouge/rape you are only biting the hand that feeds you.

There are always people though to pay those prices, otherwise they wouldn't be able to charge that much. Same in the classifieds here, or on any other forum.

- - - Updated - - -

In this state? An ammo tax or ban would hardly be shocking.

Here's the parallel: MGs, legal to own, but due to government regulation they cost too much for many of us to purchase. An M16 in a true free market would cost the same as an AR15, instead, gov regulation has manipulated the market so that they cost 25K.

There are people though that pay $30k for a full auto toy. I don't see a problem.

There are always people though to pay those prices, otherwise they wouldn't be able to charge that much. Same in the classifieds here, or on any other forum.

- - - Updated - - -

There are people though that pay $30k for a full auto toy. I don't see a problem.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ntomsw again."

That's great, but none of those things have happened with ammo. And if it eventually does, your beef should be with the laws and those who passed it, not with those selling the items. The freemarket HAS to adjust to the reality of any conditions, constitutional or not. It can't function otherwise.

I have ZERO problem with the people selling the items, sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

It's a defacto ban.

Glad to see you support the current laws on MGs. Personally, I'm against all of them, but I guess we are opposite sides of the fence.

I guess I am lost here. What laws am I for?? What laws do you think I support? Or are you just putting words in my mouth? How is it a defacto ban? People can obviously pay these prices on things right now, because as soon as a store get's a shit ton of ammo in, it's gone in 5 minutes. So this has become more about what you can't afford, and you are whining about it.

IT'S A FREE MARKET. PEOPLE CAN CHARGE WHAT THEY WANT, FOR THE ITEMS THAT ARE THEIRS. YOU IN TURN, DON'T HAVE TO PAY THOSE PRICES IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO.

I guess I am lost here. What laws am I for?? What laws do you think I support? Or are you just putting words in my mouth? How is it a defacto ban? People can obviously pay these prices on things right now, because as soon as a store get's a shit ton of ammo in, it's gone in 5 minutes. So this has become more about what you can't afford, and you are whining about it.

IT'S A FREE MARKET. PEOPLE CAN CHARGE WHAT THEY WANT, FOR THE ITEMS THAT ARE THEIRS. YOU IN TURN, DON'T HAVE TO PAY THOSE PRICES IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO.

Hey, Tom!! Give it up!!!! You've destroyed another thread.

It's a defacto ban.

Glad to see you support the current laws on MGs. Personally, I'm against all of them, but I guess we are opposite sides of the fence.

now you are making the discussion something its not. can we just stay on topic an stop poking each other in the chest? its gone past reasonable these days and is straight up childish.

My comments were in reference to your response about MGs ( you posted that you are Ok with the fact that an MG cost 30k). I was pointing out that they cost 30k not due to simple supply and demand, but as a result of a defacto ban.

I could care less for what people sell anything for, it's their right.

- - - Updated - - -

The current shortage is not due to bans, taxes, or even the government buying it up.

The current shortage is caused by high consumer demand.

Why did demand go up all of sudden? In a free market, the threat of government regulation should never even come into play.

now you are making the discussion something its not. can we just stay on topic an stop poking each other in the chest? its gone past reasonable these days and is straight up childish.

It's not as if all of sudden people decided that shooting seemed like a cool sport.

Instead, high ranking government officials are calling for widespread bans on everything. This is the driving force behind the price increases.

The current shortage is not due to bans, taxes, or even the government buying it up.

The current shortage is caused by high consumer demand.

there is no doubt in my mind that consumer demand is certainly a large part of the issue. But you cant honestly deny that the government is buying record quantities of arms and ammo Jim. All the stupid extra contracts with sig, DHS buying billions of rounds...its not exactly a small slice of the market

It's not as if all of sudden people decided that shooting seemed like a cool sport.

Instead, high ranking government officials are calling for widespread bans on everything. This is the driving force behind the price increases.

I disagree. You see AR's starting to come down in normal price. You see AR parts coming back down & in stock at normal prices. Everything is slowly starting to settle down.

I just finished building my 2nd AR since everything went FR, and I didn't pay crazy prices on anything. Do some research, take some time, and you can find the deals out there. Again, my choice to take my time to shop around. Or, I could pay FR pricing.

See how that works?

the government can call for widespread bans on what ever they want, but the government largely controls absolutely DICK. "we the people" in the end decided what is done, either by making a movement, protests, civil war, etc. Show them you are bigger than them, we just need people to wake up and remember what America is all about and that we are AMERICANS. not ****ing communist pinkos that "welcome our new masters"

I disagree. You see AR's starting to come down in normal price. You see AR parts coming back down & in stock at normal prices. Everything is slowly starting to settle down.

I just finished building my 2nd AR since everything went FR, and I didn't pay crazy prices on anything. Do some research, take some time, and you can find the deals out there. Again, my choice to take my time to shop around. Or, I could pay FR pricing.

See how that works?

Well, I don't disagree with much in that post.

I do want to add that another factor here in MA is the AG has threatened private companies with regard to online sales to MA. This is direct government manipulation and another reason, here in MA, the free market can't function properly with regard to ammo sales.

Mass can threaten the private retailers all they want, but at the end of the day if say a dealer in nebraska decides to ship ammo to mass...what exactly is the AG going to do? send them a letter? politely ask them to stop? they cant really do anything.

I do want to add that another factor here in MA is the AG has threatened private companies with regard to online sales to MA. This is direct government manipulation and another reason, here in MA, the free market can't function properly with regard to ammo sales.

We're aware, what's your point?

The original point in this thread was ammo is expensive. That really does suck. ntomsw said he (a private party) sold ammo to I don't know who (presumably a private party) for a price. Why do you care what the price was?

No one was talking about MG's except you (see my signature on that) we all agree government overreach is horrible and un-American. Lets say 50 rounds of 9mm went for $10 pre-panic. What's to stop CTD or Midway or Walmart from selling it for $10 post-panic? No government tax or de-facto bans there.

Christ.

You need to take a break from the internet Mass-Diver and get laid. You're arguing with yourself and de-railing this thread. Ammo prices are market driven while also maintaining the free market principle. Gun ban talk happens, people don't feel safe and want to protect themselves/family. Ammo gets harder to find, also the price goes up. What's so hard to understand?

There are no laws though that state that. The MA AG may not like it, but they can't do anything to a company if they do ship it to my front door. Or your front door, or anyone for that matter.

Again, a little searching goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom