• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cannot Obtain Readable Fingerprints For LTC - Any Recommendations

barnabus

NES Member
I've been asked again by local PD to have my prints redone. This will be the third visit and the 4th set of ink/print cards (2nd visit they did 2 sets).

Can anyone recommend any tips or tricks for getting a readable ink print?

I've googled this subject and a few people recommend Corn Huskers Lotion.

btw: This is for my initial LTC/background check

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know about getting readable prints, but I could think of some interesting things to do with your..um...affliction...[devil]

When the local PD tried to do mine they got pretty frustrated, but the guy doing them seemed to be pretty happy with the distinct scar I had across the pad of my trigger finger: "You better not rob any banks, I wouldn't even have to RUN that print!". The rest were just smudged messes though.

If this is for the initial app, they need it for MSP to run their background...

This was the first time she was ever printed. They did do paper/ink also. I guess those came out good enough then. Scan never worked and she got a card with no print on it and a pin. LTCA No Rest.

I think a lot of it is officer dependant. When i went for my i had some crossed eyed cop that kept jacking up my prints, after the 4th try another cop came in and got it on the 1st try.

The print on my license is just a black blob, so who knows if they were ever able to run them

Mine come across clear as day...wouldn't help that they (the man) has my prints 10 ways to Sunday from my military background...but it must be nice to KNOW that they'd never catch you if you did do something nefarious...like rob the candy story for those dots on paper or Swedish fish...

Move to any free state and never worry about fingerprints being required for just about anything.

I've been asked again by local PD to have my prints redone. This will be the third visit and the 4th set of ink/print cards (2nd visit they did 2 sets).

Can anyone recommend any tips or tricks for getting a readable ink print?

I've googled this subject and a few people recommend Corn Huskers Lotion.

btw: This is for my initial LTC/background check

Thanks

Some LOs have recommended Corn Huskers Lotion and say that it works in these tough cases. Give it a try.

Soak your fingers in a warm 70º epsom salt bath for 5 to 10 min at the pd before fingerprinting. It should rehydrate your fingers enough to get vailable print set.

When the local PD tried to do mine they got pretty frustrated, but the guy doing them seemed to be pretty happy with the distinct scar I had across the pad of my trigger finger: "You better not rob any banks, I wouldn't even have to RUN that print!". The rest were just smudged messes though.

Cop: "You better not rob any banks, I wouldn't even have to RUN that Print!"

Me: "Are bank robbers really coming in here first to get fingerprinted for an LTC?"

I have to ask, when renewing your LTC in MA, do you need to be printed again? Is it only for first timers? What are the requirements for getting them done? Do they HAVE to be done at a police department? Because I have an inkless machine and do prints for background investigations ALL THE TIME, and as long as there isn't an issue with me doing them........

When I did this for LTC applicants, if we got prints that were rejected by AFIS, we returned them to the department. They would send us another set and if they were still bad we would do what we called a "forced search". I don't know if they still do that or not. Some people do not print well because of their occupations (stone masons etc) others have shallow ridges. Sooner or later they have to submit the prints and get the results they get.

MSP has scanners (no ink) to do prints, check if local PD's have these machines and see if that could be used. Talk to your local PD, they should know who has these machines. Worth a try.

When I did this for LTC applicants, if we got prints that were rejected by AFIS, we returned them to the department. They would send us another set and if they were still bad we would do what we called a "forced search". I don't know if they still do that or not. Some people do not print well because of their occupations (stone masons etc) others have shallow ridges. Sooner or later they have to submit the prints and get the results they get.
We had issues with some prints. I printed one guy 13 times because he had tremors. He kept smudging. I finally said "get me a doctors letter", and we sent in the two best sets with the letter.

When I print, I always take two sets, and turn both sets in with a note tab stating "best set" on the set that's the best. Haven't had any issues since.

- - - Updated - - -

MSP has scanners (no ink) to do prints, check if local PD's have these machines and see if that could be used. Talk to your local PD, they should know who has these machines. Worth a try.
Is there a fee at local PDs?

I've been told that it is due to the FBI rejecting the prints and it is also happening for renewals. I've had them done again and I hope this time they go through, but I really don't hold out hope.

Thanks for everyone that offered positive suggestions.

Waltham PD has one of the scanners. I had my prints taken there for a work thing.

With scanners, if the biometric logic cannot identify 'n' number of unique swirl points, it will reject. It took me 4 fingers before I got one that was accepted by the machine.

Ya a new delay tactic for granting your LTC....[rolleyes]...It is more about the retard doing the prints not being very good at it.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you know nothing about fingerprinting and the fact that many people due to age, occupation or just they way their prints were formed in the womb (there is no genetic component to fingerprints) simply don't have good quality prints to begin with.

This took me a few times to get good prints, the licensing officer said it was because of sweaty hands.

for reference, I was so nervous because she tried to get me to take her 17 year old daughter to the prom. I knew it was a tarp.

Back
Top Bottom