• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CANNONS

I was looking to get a cannon and I stumble upon this site

http://www.thecannonstore.com/details.asp?prodID=W98BLK

unfortunly it only fires blank ten gauges

so here's my question.
Does anyone have any info on these bad boys from either owning or firing it??
Can I really only use blanks?
Where can I fire this with blanks loaded?
And if possible where, with real rounds?
Is there any better place for cannons?

Ps I live in MA

thanks in advance

This website has some signal cannons. WWW.pyrocreations.com
I doubt anything is legal in Mass from there.

I have a triple shot and a couple more that I use exclusively in NH. These are blackpowder versions.

I have seen a nice cannon out of a company called traditions that makes muzzleloaders in CT. They sell two versions in Cabella's. Around $400 to $600. But really nice, chrome brass etc.

There is some sort of Cannon license or certification in Mass. If I find it I will post what I have.

I was looking to get a cannon and I stumble upon this site
Does anyone have any info on these bad boys from either owning or firing it??
Can I really only use blanks?
Where can I fire this with blanks loaded?
And if possible where, with real rounds?
Is there any better place for cannons?

Ps I live in MA

You can buy and own cannon without any state permission, notification, etc.

You might have to be felony-free.

You cannot fire it, with or without projectile, until you obtain a cannoneer's permit from the state fire marshal (not terribly difficult). You can take it out of state to say, New Hampshire, to fire it. In Mass, you ALSO have to notify the local fire chief (not sure if they have a veto) of why, when, where, how many shot's, etc you will fire.

You can't have the black powder without an FID or LTC, although you did take it out of state, you could probably legally purchase the powder and use it all before returning.

It boils down to you can have it but you can't really "use" it without getting in trouble...

Cannon can be very dangerous. Overcharging one is basically the same as making a bomb. Do a hell of a lot of research, use very light loads and work your way up. If you have family, get your life insurance paid up (just kidding, but be careful - there is no room for screwing around).

They are fun!

Somewhere I have a link to some further info on obtaining the permit, or the gentleman (jdubois) I got it from may pop in the the meantime. There are several threads on Northeast Shooters that you search for, for some more detailed discussion.

527 CMR 22.00 governs cannon firing in MA.

You must not only have a Certificate of Competency, but you must also apply for a permit from the local fire chief for each and every time you want to fire the cannon.

namedpipes said:
You can't have the black powder without an FID or LTC

Yes you can, you just cannot purchase it (C. 140 § 129C(p)).

Last edited:
Yes you can, you just cannot purchase it (C. 140 § 129C(p)).

Well THAT makes sense [laugh] (for Massachusetts...)

Would it be correct to say then, he could buy powder when he goes out of state and can bring it home, he just can't buy it in Mass?

How loud are these? I am guessing it is like comparable to the noise from a black powder rifle.

I can only speak for mine: Louder than that . . .

I actually used to E-coat those Winchester cannons in Worcester. If I remember correctly the barrel has a step in it that tightens up the bore pretty good.

I was at Reilly's on Thursday ...CCI Small Rifle Primers don't ya know. They had about 20k of them from what I could see at the time ...limit 1k per customer.

In any case, one of those Winchester cannons was on the counter near the rear of the store as you go to the shotgun wad area. They had a price of either $600 or $625 on the little beauty.

BTW, next year, I'm gong to try and setup a cannon and perhaps mortar shoot event at the Monadnock Rod & Gun Club. We used be the site for the New Hampshire State Championship Cannon and Mortar Shoot. The trophy is sitting in my cellar just waiting for a new home.

If anyone is interested in participating, shoot me a PM. And note, any cannon, big or small is welcome a long as it's trustworthy. You need not even shoot a projectile ...just plain ol' BANG! is fun.

Back through the seventies and early eighties, the Governor used to come down and fire the opening shot! Can you see Jean Shaheen doing that???!!!

How loud are these? I am guessing it is like comparable to the noise from a black powder rifle.

Anything bigger than a shotshell will cause you to jump unless you're expecting it - even then...

The Scouts at Camp Wanocksett set off some kinda cannon when lowering the colors in the evening.

Made grown men jump & babies cry.

Just think, Boy Scouts and cannons... and to think some folks (none here) say the scouts ain't cool. [smile]

Last edited:
Would it be correct to say then, he could buy powder when he goes out of state and can bring it home, he just can't buy it in Mass?

Yup, it's the same as if you want to shoot black powder long guns without an FID/LTC. Though be aware that 527 CMR 22.00 has some further requirements for how you transport and store your black powder cannon charges (i.e. no loose powder, and all charges must be in a non-sparking, metal encased magazine).

My triple shot is sized to only hold powder and no projectile.
Very loud.

Took some experimenting with different powders but with mine it will only hold so much so you can't blow it up with regular pistol blackpowder.

I don't use it in Mass., only in NH when everyone else on the lakes are using fireworks.

Here is the link to the Traditions cannons I saw at Cabela's
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Accessories:Blackpowder+Cannons

Last edited:
You want one of these babies,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=927cNQy_VEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRONxlx0HWk

The guys is a longrifle builder on a ML forum I frequent and had the barrel for a few years before he collected the parts to construct a semi proper carriage.
The wheels are from a 19th century European wagon and various longrifle builder helped suppply the needed iron work.
Display shots use a small charge of BP and a wad, hence little recoil given the guns weight.
I saw a video of a shot during a live fire with a ball and full charge and the gun recoils several feet.
Extremely cool.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom