Cannonball Coast-To-Coast Record Broken By This Long-Range E63 AMG

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The new time now stands at 27 hours, 25 minutes.
For the benefit of younger readers who visit Motor1.com, here’s a quick history lesson on the granddaddy of illegal races that – literally to this day – still tempts those with a penchant for pushing the limits. We’re talking about the Cannonball – a point-to-point automotive sprint that starts in New York City and concludes in Los Angeles. There are no rules, and it started with Erwin Baker’s 11-day trip on a motorcycle way back in 1915. In 1933 he made the trip in 53 hours behind the wheel of a big Graham-Paige sedan, inspiring legendary Car & Driver scribe Brock Yates to revive the notorious event in the 1970s.

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3000 miles / 27 hour ~ 111 mph. How the heck does one drive all that distance without running into a cop? Or maybe they did, slowed down and then sped up as soon as the cop was gone. 193mph on public roads is pretty reckless.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
3000 miles / 27 hour ~ 111 mph. How the heck does one drive all that distance without running into a cop? Or maybe they did, slowed down and then sped up as soon as the cop was gone. 193mph on public roads is pretty reckless.
Lol, with the amount of planning these guys put into a run, that's all considered. Also outside of MA there are some states where the LE density is way lower. (way less police per 100 miles of road). I doubt the 193 hit was for very long, probably in tinbuck 5 somewhere. "We" only think it's dangerous because our brains are calibrated to shitty MA/new England roads where you'd be lucky to get to 120-140 before having to slow down again...

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Richard Rawlings broke the 30-hour mark. 28 hours is F-A-S-T. Crazy fast. I mean, sure in middle-of-nowhere west of Chicago - sure. But "back east?" Lots of winding roads. Lots of traffic. Lots of cops. 100mph AVERAGE speed. Yikes!

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Richard Rawlings broke the 30-hour mark. 28 hours is F-A-S-T. Crazy fast. I mean, sure in middle-of-nowhere west of Chicago - sure. But "back east?" Lots of winding roads. Lots of traffic. Lots of cops. 100mph AVERAGE speed. Yikes!
Most of these guys start from NYC (Red Ball garage is the start point) at some odd hour, otherwise there's no way to escape the trash region without running into delays.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Lol, with the amount of planning these guys put into a run, that's all considered. Also outside of MA there are some states where the LE density is way lower. (way less police per 100 miles of road). I doubt the 193 hit was for very long, probably in tinbuck 5 somewhere. "We" only think it's dangerous because our brains are calibrated to shitty MA/new England roads where you'd be lucky to get to 120-140 before having to slow down again...
I drove from boston to Phoenix. Saw a couple staties in ma, got stopped by one in NY, (no ticket and they wear purple knitted ties fwiw lol) and tbh dont recall seeing a single cop the whole rest of the way.

snax

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
20 or so years ago I went from Denver to Chicago in about 11 hours. Had my cruise control on my Nissan set at 105 pretty much the whole way. I hit traffic just right and I only slowed down a bit in st Louis. I blew through Kansas at literal top speed in that car (115). I saw no police, radar detector quiet.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
That's half the challenge. The other is avoiding traffic and bad weather.

I did Boston to Seattle in about 62 hours and we got pulled over twice haha

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did Wakefield, MA to Logan, UT in about 50 hours in July, and ended up with a blood clot in my leg from sitting too long.

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
20 or so years ago I went from Denver to Chicago in about 11 hours. Had my cruise control on my Nissan set at 105 pretty much the whole way. I hit traffic just right and I only slowed down a bit in st Louis. I blew through Kansas at literal top speed in that car (115). I saw no police, radar detector quiet.
What was her name??

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the video is interesting. spotters to help be cop detectors, radar/lidar detectors, night vision, and a 42 gallon fuel cell in the trunk. 4 stops between coasts

impressive logistics
I'm watching the video now. It is very interesting. A lot of the prep they did seemed to me, who knows nothing about planning for an endeavor like this to be pretty logical in so far as the electronis counter measures go. But it never would have occured to me to add the extra fuel cell. Is it legal to mod a car with en extra fuel cell? Just curious. The other thing I never would have thought of which I found to be incredibly genious was to remove all the identifying markings from the car and change the shape of the head/tail lights to make the car unrecognizeable to the casual passerby on the highway. I think they said when all was said and done they made the Mercedes look like more like an Accord... Brilliant!!!!

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Meh.....lots of roads out west where 190 is totally doable.......not going to hurt anything except yourself and a couple of tumbleweeds

100+ avg speed is very very impressive

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Never did anything that bad-ass, but we came back from the Eclipse in Kentucky as a speed run.

Eclipse ended just after 1PM, jumped into the (stock) Dodge Grand Caravan, and hit the GPS. Estimated arrival was 7:32 AM, so about 18 hours.

Couple of Fill and Drain stops, my son drove after ~ midnight. I woke up just shy of the NY/MA border. Arrived at 7:30.

Got to work at 9.

That was crazy enough for me!

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was a passenger in an E63 wagon. Holy shit what a ROCKET. Upon brute acceleration, my organs shifted to my posterior body. And because it's a station wagon, you can drop the kids off at soccer and go grocery shopping after.

1575501706500.png

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm watching the video now. It is very interesting. A lot of the prep they did seemed to me, who knows nothing about planning for an endeavor like this to be pretty logical in so far as the electronis counter measures go. But it never would have occured to me to add the extra fuel cell. Is it legal to mod a car with en extra fuel cell? Just curious. The other thing I never would have thought of which I found to be incredibly genious was to remove all the identifying markings from the car and change the shape of the head/tail lights to make the car unrecognizeable to the casual passerby on the highway. I think they said when all was said and done they made the Mercedes look like more like an Accord... Brilliant!!!!
Thats the most Mitsubishi looking Accord I've seen

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
The 'thin blue line' shirt sealed the deal, lol. Those dudes are maniacs and deserving of the title after all that work (and a little bit of luck).

I smiled the whole damn time watching that clip...because somewhere, right now, someone doesn't give a single SHIT about the law and is living their dream in this great land!

La Mira!

Top Bottom