• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canning, how to needed.

The shrooms I made last year were a huge hit with the family. Looks like I know what I can do for x-mas gifts this year.
Going to try my luck with some pickled onions this weekend.

Heh, a canning thread with mentors to boot! This forum just keeps giving. I got interested in canning this summer when I grabbed a mix of ~50 bale-top / screw-top canning jars at the town dump. Quickly found out the bale-tops are best sold off to crafters & hobbyists although I kept a few to degrease parts in. Have not found a cheap pressure-canner yet but hopefully by spring I will have one at the right price. That's it for random thoughts.

One tip to pass along on jars: We buy Classico pasta sauce. (At Target it's on sale @ 2 for $4.) I'd never noticed it prior to taking an interest in canning, but the Classico 24 oz. size is an Atlas mason jar. They are squared-off and the mouth accepts Ball lids & caps. Put the jar in hot water for 5 minutes and the label slides right off. I poked around online and they are very popular with canners. The glass is thick and many commented on the convenience of the square sides for maxing out shelves. A nice bonus and the tomato/basil sauce is pretty good for jar sourced.

ATCVo.jpg

I did apple jelly, grape jelly, peach jam and tomato sauce this year.
We are giving away most of the jam and jelly for Christmas.

Next year I plan on getting a pressure canner for fresh veggies from the garden.

Heh, a canning thread with mentors to boot! This forum just keeps giving. I got interested in canning this summer when I grabbed a mix of ~50 bale-top / screw-top canning jars at the town dump. Quickly found out the bale-tops are best sold off to crafters & hobbyists although I kept a few to degrease parts in. Have not found a cheap pressure-canner yet but hopefully by spring I will have one at the right price. That's it for random thoughts.

One tip to pass along on jars: We buy Classico pasta sauce. (At Target it's on sale @ 2 for $4.) I'd never noticed it prior to taking an interest in canning, but the Classico 24 oz. size is an Atlas mason jar. They are squared-off and the mouth accepts Ball lids & caps. Put the jar in hot water for 5 minutes and the label slides right off. I poked around online and they are very popular with canners. The glass is thick and many commented on the convenience of the square sides for maxing out shelves. A nice bonus and the tomato/basil sauce is pretty good for jar sourced.

ATCVo.jpg

We save and use these as well. Also some of the natural mayo still comes in glass jars that take the ball rings and lids.

Now is the timeot be on the lookout for discout canning stuff....a while back, I scored on Ball lids and rings ( 25 cents/box) at a grocery store's bargain bin.

Also, this time of year, watch the estate sales (few yard sales) - about a buck or two per dozen is the going rate, sometimes less if you take them all off their hands in one shot.

Came across this little relish fix.
Use Vidalia onions or other sweet onions in this flavorful relish. This relish is delicious with beef or pork, or use it to add flavor to appetizers.
Ingredients:
•5 pounds sweet onions, peeled, ground or finely chopped
•2 red bell peppers, washed, seeds and stems removed, ground or finely chopped
•1/4 cup kosher salt or canning salt
•1 cup granulated sugar
•1 cup light brown sugar, packed
•1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
•2 cups cider vinegar
•1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
More Here. http://southernfood.about.com/od/picklesrelishes/r/r80820a.htm
IMG_3252.jpg

I wish you smell how good this is.
IMG_3257.jpg

And so easy....

What brand(s)? I'd read on one of the canning forums that some mayo jars will crack during pressure-canning. No one mentioned ones that actually work though.

Its called Spectrum or something like that. My wife gets it in the natural food section. I dont use them to pressure can but use them for jams and jellies. I use a number of different oddball jars for jellies. I think I have a couple old Hersheys jars, A Fluff jar and some funny shaped ones.

I strongly encourage people that like canning veggies to get into meat, get a pressure canner, last week my wife and I picked up 15+lbs of chicken for $1.29/lb and canned it, we it's great for soups, quasadilla's(sp) and any other chicken dish that doesn't require whole pieces of chicken. (we also do pork and red meat and find lots of uses) it keeps our freezer usage to a minimum and allows us to have a lot of pre-cooked meat that just needs to be heated up!

What are the steps to can chicken?
Do you have any info you can post on this topic? I would ike to try a bach to see how it comes out.

LOL! We're planning on planting up to 4 acres in the next couple of years.
Also, couple of pigs, and a dozen or so chickens, so I'm sure it'll see some use.
It is probably overkill for most, because you also should use a propane burner like used for a turkey fryer.
I got the bayou classic as it's got some serious btu output. Takes a lot to heat up a canner of this size and mass.

I have 4 different pressure canners 3 Mirros and an All American. THe Mirros are a 22, 16 and a 6 quart. THe All American is a 10.5 or 12.5. I like having different sizes as I am not heating up a lot of empty space. I got the All American at the dump for free. The 22 and 16 qt Mirros from Uncle Henrys and Ebay for short money. THe All Americans are fantastic but if you arent sure you are going to get into pressure canning than I would look for a cheaper one to start. With the number of people canning now you would be able to sell it easily if you want to upgrade. Check Craigslist and ask around and you should be able to find a used one.

The best feature of the All Americans is that they dont need a gasket. In a long term survival situation you wouldnt have to worry about replacing the gaskets if they fail.

I have 3 different pressure canners. The one I end up using the most is one we picked up at a flea market for 5 bucks. Spent some money getting new seals and a new pressure gauge. If I find an another like it I will definitely be picking it up. Lol Flea markets and tag sales are a good place to find the them. Craigslist also but they go quick.

Whenever we go to yard sales we look for canning jars and utensils. Many people are eager to get rid of canning equipment. The only thing we buy now is lids. Even the rings are reusable until they get rusty.

Home canning can be unsafe if you don't follow the Ball instructions carefully. If you keep everything sterilized you will have product that will last for years.

FWIW, these reuseable lids http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/ are very well spoken of on the blogosphere. I haven't used them personally but I will maybe next year.

Looking to start canning my own soups and stews. I'm reading that it is recommended to use a Pressure Canner.
What are you using? I want something well made so I will have for a wile and not worry about getting a piece of junk. I was thinking that when I make a bunch of food I want to try to can it instead of freezing what I make.

Looking to start canning my own soups and stews. I'm reading that it is recommended to use a Pressure Canner.
What are you using? I want something well made so I will have for a wile and not worry about getting a piece of junk. I was thinking that when I make a bunch of food I want to try to can it instead of freezing what I make.

I have an All-American - a little more pricy, but the two big advantages are that I don't need gaskets and the pressure regulator is controlled by a weight, so it doesn't require calibration to the extent that the cheaper models do. I've been very happy with it and the decision to spend more up front to save time and money in the long run.

Yes you need a pressure canner. I have 3 different ones. They are different sizes. One of my favorites I got at a flea market. My largest pressure canner is a Presto. I would have to look at the other two to tell you what they are. There is a big DIFFERENCE in a pressure canner and cooker.

Yes you need a pressure canner. I have 3 different ones. They are different sizes. One of my favorites I got at a flea market. My largest pressure canner is a Presto. I would have to look at the other two to tell you what they are. There is a big DIFFERENCE in a pressure canner and cooker.
So obviously what I'm aiming for is a pressure canner? I went back and refreshed myself on this old thread and it looks like I need to pony up the cash and grab a All-American canner. Hey check this out I thought this was pretty cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNffeMeJTxI canning bacon Cool in the gang!

The All American canner is nice, but out of my price range right now. My favorite canner that I get the most use from is my American canner. It is old and I got it at the flea market for 5 dollars. We replaced all the gaskets and put a new pressure gauge on it.

Thats BOSS! but that price $294.34 kills me I still have guns to buy you know.

Ask around. You might be able to find one. Also check Craigslist. YOu should be able to find one for short money. My personal favorites are the older Mirros. You can get the gaskets at Ace Hardware. I also have an old Sears that I converted from dial to weighted gauge. I dont like the dial gauges as they can be inaccurate and should be tested every year. The All Americans are nice but I dont think they are worth the price. A gasket will last you many years if you take care of it and spares are cheap. The gaskets on both my Mirros are probably 20+ yrs old and work fine.

Back
Top Bottom