Canning butter?

I ran across this in an archived Y2K site. What do you think?

HOW TO CAN BUTTER:

1. Use any butter that is on sale. {Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but still turns out beautiful--and costs far less.}

2. Heat pint jars in 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. {One pound of butter is a little more than one pint jar, so if you melt 10 pounds of butter, heat 11 pint jars.}

3. While jars heat, melt butter slowly until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. {Also put canning lids in pot of water and simmer for 5 minutes.}

4. Pour melted butter carefully into heated jars using a large ladle, stirring the melted butter before pouring into each jar. Use a canning jar funnel, then wipe the rim of the jar with a damp towel. Leave 1/2" to 3/4" air space, which makes shaking easier.

5. Add lid and ring and close securely. They will seal as they cool. Shake while the jars are still warm but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter separates and becomes white on the bottom of the jar. Shake again, and as the jars cool, shake again.

6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While hardening, shake again, and the butter will then look like butter and be firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give a little shake until hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.

7. Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer on a cool, dark shelf.

Seems like clarifying the butter before canning (pressure) would be the better option. The water content is greatly reduced and you are left with almost pure butter fat. High protein but almost no water activity. Not favorable to most bacteria.

Any comments on this?

Seems like clarifying the butter before canning (pressure) would be the better option. The water content is greatly reduced and you are left with almost pure butter fat. High protein but almost no water activity. Not favorable to most bacteria.

Any comments on this?

You need to get rid of the milk solids as well.

If you really want butter for long term storage, powdered is the best option.

Or if you have a bog, you can try bog butter.

Instead of playing with "maybe get it right, maybe not" especially when you are talking about living and death (botulism isn't something to mess around with).

Get yourself some Red Feather Real Canned Butter This stuff is amazingly good and has an indefinite shelf life. When the product already exists, it isn't worth the risk!

Instead of playing with "maybe get it right, maybe not" especially when you are talking about living and death (botulism isn't something to mess around with).

Get yourself some Red Feather Real Canned Butter This stuff is amazingly good and has an indefinite shelf life. When the product already exists, it isn't worth the risk!

And at $1.67 (without shipping), isn't horrible for your food storage shelf, but not daily usage...

That is the one I have and tried. It has a different taste.

And at $1.67 (without shipping), isn't horrible for your food storage shelf, but not daily usage...

$1.67? The link is pointing to cans that are ~$5 ea. The cans are only 12oz which is about $6.65/lb. Pricey. That is not including the $17 they want to ship it.

I do agree that it would be safer for long term storage than do it yourself. I might pick up a case just because of that.

I had thought I had stumbled on a great recipe in the OP. [thinking]

MrsWildweasel, did it have an tangy taste? It is coming from New Zealand and I remember the butter in Europe having a very different taste.

Sorry, meant 1.67/equivalent stick of butter, so a bit more with shipping.

If you are going to use it, I'd say make sure you use at least *one* can now and make sure any recipes you use butter in survive this type of butter.

Also, those spray bottles are they refrigerated; they may last a while too?

/Jason

$1.67? The link is pointing to cans that are ~$5 ea. The cans are only 12oz which is about $6.65/lb. Pricey. That is not including the $17 they want to ship it.

I do agree that it would be safer for long term storage than do it yourself. I might pick up a case just because of that.

MrsWildweasel, did it have an tangy taste? It is coming from New Zealand and I remember the butter in Europe having a very different taste.

Yeah it did. Hmm I forgot about the butter in Europe tasting like that.[laugh]

The taste of the butter is a bit different than anything you have had from the stores, because it contains only 2 ingredients. Pasteurized Cream and Salt, as opposed to most commercial brands that have other additives. The taste of this butter is more reminiscent of something you would find straight off the farm, rather than off the shelf.

The taste of the butter is a bit different than anything you have had from the stores, because it contains only 2 ingredients. Pasteurized Cream and Salt, as opposed to most commercial brands that have other additives. The taste of this butter is more reminiscent of something you would find straight off the farm, rather than off the shelf.
When we made it right from the farm it wasn't exactly pasteurized.[laugh]
The family ranch only had a couple of milk cows. The rest were beef cows that were raised.

Back
Top Bottom