• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canning - A little late to the show

For various reasons, I have been late getting started, no more

Going to start canning and putting up some food storage, I've read through many of the canning posts here, just thought I'd toss out there that if anyone has anything new on what they've learned from greater experience as you went along, I'd love to hear about it

Get a large pressure canner and every time meat goes on sale start canning, we do ham, chicken and corned beef when it is on sale and use it throughout the year. You can also do all your normal veggies in the pressure canner.

Also, just raw pack stuff, don't pre-cook the meat before packing the cans you don't need to and it just adds a lot of time.

Thanks, I had pretty much come to the raw canning conclusion.

Bought my first 3 dozen jars, ordered my 23qt pressure canner, just waiting for that to arrive. My wifey will be spending some of her free time getting this done

Also consider getting a chest freezer and vacuum sealer/foodsaver. I would prep, and can, veggies (and fruits) only. Vacuum pack, and freeze, meats. With the FoodSaver you can easily keep meats frozen (without getting freezer burn) for many months. Well over a year in fact. I've been known to get primal meat cuts, trim them up and then vacuum pack them. I've had stuff in the freezer well over a year that way and they had zero issues. If you get a large enough freezer, you can even do things like corn on the cob that way.

I would think the downside there is what happens if the power goes out?

MY current housing does not allow for a generator, so that would be a tough solution for me I think

I would think the downside there is what happens if the power goes out?

MY current housing does not allow for a generator, so that would be a tough solution for me I think

Are you looking to be ready for an 'end of the world' type deal?? A good chest freezer will keep things frozen for a decent amount of time even when power is lost. I would even advise getting a smallish generator (like those used for camping) to have 'just in case'. If the LL asks about it, you could say it's for going camping. [smile] Then if you lose power for more than a few hours, you could fire it up and run at least the chest freezer and possibly your regular fridge too. I'm actually looking at good used chest freezers right now. Once I get one, I'll also look into getting a small generator to have 'just in case'... I have an exhaust system in the basement, with a single low voltage fan in line, that I could run off of it to get rid of the fumes.

Are you looking to be ready for an 'end of the world' type deal??

While that's in the back of my mind, I would think in that situation bugging out would be the most likely route but I'm thinking now in more of a "social collapse" type situation for, pick your reason"

But something small for that situation, maybe, just maybe

While that's in the back of my mind, I would think in that situation bugging out would be the most likely route but I'm thinking now in more of a "social collapse" type situation for, pick your reason"

But something small for that situation, maybe, just maybe

Ummmm, "social collapse" is already in progress I believe.

I would get the chest freezer, and load it up with proteins, so that you not only have a good supply level, but you also won't need to buy them as often. I know of a restaurant supply store (it's a chain actually) that has really great meet for low pricing (less than 1/2 of what you pay at the grocery store typically). Better quality than you'll find at places like BJ's too (they also carry Angus, which BJ's does not). If you want to make a trip to the closer one (Needham, MA) let me know. I have a membership, which you need in order to shop there.

Ummmm, "social collapse" is already in progress I believe.

True enough, just speeding up it seems

I know of a restaurant supply store (it's a chain actually) that has really great meet for low pricing (less than 1/2 of what you pay at the grocery store typically). Better quality than you'll find at places like BJ's too (they also carry Angus, which BJ's does not). If you want to make a trip to the closer one (Needham, MA) let me know. I have a membership, which you need in order to shop there.

Thanks, that might be something I take you up in in the not too distant future

First half of the month they typically have better pricing on some meats. They have pretty much everything you could think of. They even have fresh seafood there now. Better prices are to be had if you want to buy a full case of something, but you can also get just one package from the case.

I've bought ~19# boneless ribeye primals from them before. Once you know how to trim them up, it makes things easy. Plus, you get a lot more meat for the money. I used to go there for whole tenderloins that we used for holiday roasts. I'd just trim off the silver-skin, and the stuff we didn't want to cook, tie it up, season, and cook it up. Cost has ranged anywhere from ~$9-12/# for the whole tenderloin. That's Black Angus too. You can buy whole pork butts or shoulders too. Ribs out the whazoo too.

Hmmmm, maybe we should plan a NES field trip there sometime. lol

Also consider getting a chest freezer and vacuum sealer/foodsaver. I would prep, and can, veggies (and fruits) only. Vacuum pack, and freeze, meats. With the FoodSaver you can easily keep meats frozen (without getting freezer burn) for many months. Well over a year in fact. I've been known to get primal meat cuts, trim them up and then vacuum pack them. I've had stuff in the freezer well over a year that way and they had zero issues. If you get a large enough freezer, you can even do things like corn on the cob that way.

Except when the power goes out then what do you do with all that meat? But overall I agree, a well stocked freezer has to be part of your overall food plan. And I'll second the Foodsaver, its awesome.

Don't bother with the Ball BlueBook. Get the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Has all the BlueBook recipes and twice as many more. Another good book is Putting Food By.

You guys buy your meat at BJs? Ever been to a real slaughterhouse and bought it on the hook? Can't get more primal than that. and usually cheaper. You don't get just the choice cuts if you go in on a group buy on a whole cow, you get a lot of burger and bones, but even those can be put to good use. When I was a youngster we used to go in with a neighbor and split on a pig and a beef critter every fall with a couple weeks in between to get the sausage ground and seasoned, the bacon smoked. Now, I just get a hindquarter of beef in fall and a lamb or two either spring or fall. Pig, I actually do buy at BJs. Just the loin rolls and chops. I buy bacon in bulk at another local slaughterhouse that does their own smoking. Can't beat it.

But back on the canning, Lehmans sells bulk lids to save you some money. They even sell the Tattler reusable lids and rings. I've used them. They are a little tricky as you need to be able to hold the hot jars to screw down the rings after processing instead of leaving them loose like regular tin lids. If you have siphoning, they may not seal properly so if something like applesauce siphons on you regularly, you might want to just use the tin lids for that. They don't ping either. After 24 hours you can remove the rings and do your lift test. Then keep an eye on them in storage. I've only had one fail on me out of quite a number of them over the past 3 years. The rubber rings will last you quite a few cannings. I bought extra but haven't had to use them yet in 3 years.

Aubachon Hardware has sales on the jars quite often and you can pick up a case of pints for $8. I wouldn't pay shipping on them to get them online. I don't get the gels in the hardware store though. I have a thing about buying food in a place that stores a lot of pesticides and chemicals. Walmart usually has good deals on the gels. The cheap jars from Walmart suck. I bought a case of them once but after 2 broke in the bath, I just use them for over-batch to eat right away.

I can meat, soups, chili, etc.

For meat - I raw pack. Take it out of the package, fill jars, put in canner. Easy. I just did boneless pork chops for the firs time. Will check them out this weekend. I can ground beef raw. same with chicken and Italian and breakfast sausage.

I like canning

Get a foodsaver, and the vacuum sealers for wide and standard mouth jars. You can vacuum seal long life foods (dry goods) with an 02 absorber in usable quantities, and in sizes you can use (quarts mostly for me)

I'm still coming up to speed on pressure canning, but raw on primal cuts is the way to go.

I can meat, soups, chili, etc.

For meat - I raw pack. Take it out of the package, fill jars, put in canner. Easy. I just did boneless pork chops for the firs time. Will check them out this weekend. I can ground beef raw. same with chicken and Italian and breakfast sausage.

I like canning
does the meat need to be refrigerated? and how long does it last? i want to get into this myself.

also, +1 for a foodsaver. i have had one for about 10 years now. i package ground beef and ground pork in 1/2lb increments and chicken breasts, pork chops, fish and steak in normal meal quantities. i store them in a chest freezer. when it's time to eat i just throw the frozen bag in a bowl of water to defrost. packaging can be a PITA but if you buy enough you only have to do it once a month or so......and i have also had meat last for months in the freezer with no issues.

once you can meat it does not need to be refrigerated. If I open a jar and don't use all of it I put the lid back on and a ring and put it in the fridge for later use.

once you can meat it does not need to be refrigerated. If I open a jar and don't use all of it I put the lid back on and a ring and put it in the fridge for later use.

This, we have been canning meat for 4 years with great results so far.

If you get a can that the lid doesn't get sucked down you can stick it in the fridge and use it right away. I'm sure you (PennyPincher) know this but others might not.

Also, jellies in the summer time when berries are cheapest are a great way to add some flavor to your preps.

Back
Top Bottom