Canik firearms (update post 51)

Have about 500 rounds through my SF without any issue so far. You can use Pre-Ban Beretta 92 mags in them and they work without issue. You just need to cut a new mag release notch in them. Very easy.

Rockrivr1, thats good to know. Thanks. It will be waiting for her when we go Wed. She's excited about it. Hopefully we get a dry day this coming weekend where we can go to the range.

Greg

One thing I will add, the surface finish on the magazines will develop surface rust relatively easily. So make sure to wipe them down lightly with an oil after use/prior to storage, they're the only magazines of mine that will do this. Comes off very easily, just something to keep in mind. None of my HK, Ruger, or S&W magazines have had this issue, they're all used and stored in similar conditions.

The Canik is an excellent pistol. It’s a copy of the Walther P99. I believe it’s a licensed copy and not a knock off. The P99 is an excellent pistol as well. I bought one on a whim as a range toy and shot the snot out of it. Ran flawlessly. I sold it to help fund some other gun I just had to have but I had zero complaints.

It's got a similar mechanism for firing. Not exactly a clone of it or the ppq.

I have 4 caniks a ppq and a p99. The ppq is the best duty gun out of them but not by much. Definitely not indicative of the price difference. The best race gun on the market right now is the tp9sfx. And I can put 50 rounds in a 2 in circle at ten yards with it. The tp9sf elite is their carry size gun and is phenomenal. Great shooter basically is a ppq clone. The tp9sa copies the Walther p99 with the double action single action. Although for some strange reason I cannot shoot this one for crap. The there is the tp9sf which is a task I have 3k plus through it and it runs great. Only complaint I have is the muzzle is a little flippy for a 9

The best race gun on the market right now is the tp9sfx.
I don't know if it's the "best" but it's very affordable. Granted, "best" is going to depend on the shooter. I shoot my CZ's the best but I know plenty of guys that don't shoot CZ's well due to the shape/size etc. and prefer a glock/M&P.

I don't know if it's the "best" but it's very affordable. Granted, "best" is going to depend on the shooter. I shoot my CZ's the best but I know plenty of guys that don't shoot CZ's well due to the shape/size etc. and prefer a glock/M&P.

Best race gun when you factor in price. I'll add that caviat. I would love a cz tso.... But they're also 2k

They are the best value in handguns out there. If you want the most value for your dollar dont hesitate. I plan on picking up an optics ready model at some point.

Best race gun when you factor in price. I'll add that caviat. I would love a cz tso.... But they're also 2k
$2k is news to me, I got a Shadow 2 a week ago for less than half that! Unless you're talking about a different model, like a Czechmate, closer to $3k.
I did take peek at the TP9 that comes with the dot and everything, seems like it could be a good budget option.

Last edited:
$2k is news to me, I got a Shadow 2 a week ago for less than half that! Unless you're talking about a different model, like a Czechmate, closer to $3k.
I did take peak at the TP9 that comes with the dot and everything, seems like it could be a good budget option.
This one was 1200
Canik may be coming out with new models soon (Hoping at least)

Attachments

• 574C4082-C3CA-4F86-AC3F-92BB2B4AF61D.jpeg
    574C4082-C3CA-4F86-AC3F-92BB2B4AF61D.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 51
I did take peak at the TP9 that comes with the dot and everything, seems like it could be a good budget option.

2k is a stretch but that's not the same gun.

Look up cz target sport orange. They are not cheap lol

This one was 1200
Canik may be coming out with new models soon (Hoping at least)

Canik did finally release the elite combat. a lot of people complained it was too expensive but they seem to be selling. if they do not sell well enough the price will drop.

Better not buy any guns from England, then. Remember the American Revolution?
France: French and Indian Wars.
Russia: Cold War
Germany: Holocaust
Etc.

And don’t forget that recent confrontation, The War of Northern Agression. Don’t buy guns from states that supported big government...

Also lol where'd u scoop that shadow lol I want one

Mass Firearms has one for rent so she can try one. I carry a 229, but also love the VP9 and the Canik. if I had to choose, it'd be my 229, then VP9, and then the Canik.

Also lol where'd u scoop that shadow lol I want one
Auction, $875. "Lightly used" but it could have been sold to me as new and I wouldn't have known the difference. Other than a little light wear on the magazines from having been inserted, it looked unfired.

If I decided to dabble in carry optics, the Canik would be a contender for me.

To be fair, none of those regimes are still in power, whereas in Turkey, Erdogan is very much still in power. I don't think this is really an accurate comparison.

For the record, I don't own any Caniks and have no skin in the game either way. I just know people that have misgivings about it. That said, my former dentist, who is Jewish, refuses to buy any German products, including Volkswagen, etc., and he wasn't even alive during WW2.
A good friend of mine was the same way. Then I let her drive one of my Volkswagens. She bought a new one a few days later.

Well, she has it. We haven't done the field strip and clean/lube yet but that's happening soon. Hopefully we can get out Sunday to see how it works out for her.
Also we would like to give a plug for Grrr Gear in Orange for the purchase. The computer was being finicky so it took a little extra time but still went quick and smooth. Anyway, thanks for the info on these firearms and now for some pics.

Greg
IMG_2252.JPG IMG_2256.JPG IMG_2260.JPG IMG_2263.JPG

We finally got to the range today. She stayed at the 5 yard line and tried a variety of ammo. The first mag had some FTE and we came to the conclusion that her wrist was too loose and taking a lot of energy away from the recoil. She kept a stiffer wrist and no more FTE. (We double checked with the same box of ammo just to make sure.) We only got in 1 hr before we lost too much light but she was happy with how it felt. Her grouping was nice with it being her first time out with this pistol. We'll get out a few more times before winter sets in.
Top left-10 shots of Federal 115 @ 5 yards---4 FTE
Top right-10 shots Federal 115 @ 5 yards---- 2nd Mag 0 FTE
Bottom left-10 shots Win White Box 115 @ 5 yards
Bottom right-10 shots American Eagle 147 @ 5 yards
IMG_2270.JPG
She also tried some blazer 115 @ 5 yards and it hit almost exact as the Win.
It appears this pistol will be good for her.

Greg

Had an interesting experience with the TP9SFx. I have sold quite a few of these and own and shoot one myself. I had not previously seen or heard of an issue, but one of my recent customer purchases was having issues with the gun locking open when empty. He tried the obvious issues around under powered ammo, resistence on the slide going back, etc. Full clean and lube did not fix the issue. Intermittent failure to lock open. Could have 10 mags in a row work and then just one fail, could have 5 fail in a row.

So he came by the shop and we compared to my TP9SFx. Nothing obvious. We went to the range with both guns and did some testing. He has 5 10rd factory Canik mags. I have a pile of factory 20rd Canik mags. We did a bunch of testing. While I had never (500+ rounds through the gun) seen an issue myself, I was getting intermittent failures also!?!?!

Here is what we concluded after a lot of shooting and a lot of messing with mags, springs, slide, etc.

Right handed, right hand thumb wants to sit very close or on the slide catch. Now this might seem ok because it would might push it up but it appears to occasionally result in adding resistance to the catch pushing up. The large mag release combined with the contour of the grip can put fat thumbs in contact with the slide catch if you dont think about it. Consciously avoiding any contact with the catch removed all failures. This was a contributing factor but not the only one.

The magazine design, follower and spring have a design and/or assembly issue. Like any follower/spring interface, you have the spring contacting the follower at an angle. Either the front or back will have spring contact and the other side will have a gap down to the next loop of the spring. This is normal. The follower contacts the spring catch at the front of the follower. The default way all the magazines are assembled is at the less stiff/resistant end of the spring. This means you can cant the magazine follower down at the front slightly. This is bad since the front is where it is pushing up on the slide catch. If you rotate the spring, this cant is reduced, but this does not really work given how the spring is bent into a spring and its angles. A different spring would fix this.

The final issue relates to spring strength. The 10rd mags are a 18rd body with the typical dent manufactured into the body to stop more than 10 rounds form going in. It uses the 18rd spring. All good. The 20rd mag (factory) is the 18rd body with a +2 exgtension. All Mecgar for reference. The spring is identical. So the 20rd and 18/10rd use the same spring. The extra extension reduces overall spring force on the 20rd compared to the 10/18rd magazines. We saw slightly more problems with the 20s vs the 10s/18s.

One fix, watch your damn thumb and keep it away form the slide catch. Not necessarily the fix you want in a gun that you want to depend on, but maybe acceptable in a pure range plinker.
2nd (and real) fix, change the spring in the magazines. I have just started looking to see if anyone makes them. Stretching the spring in the existing mags appears to also (temporarily) fix the issue, so clearly a strong spring, and one that better mates to the follower, will fix the issue.

If I find replacement springs that work, I will edit this post.

Great choice Deerdad!

Crackpot, I'm very interested to see what you find for a replacement magazine spring. I've modified my grip to keep my thumb away from the slide release. However, I shoot USPSA with it primarily and normally reload before dry anyways. But dicking around at the range, I've noticed it very intermittently.

I’ve never experienced that with mine. Have had it a couple of years now. Mine does rack itself if you slam the mag home, which I love.

Back
Top Bottom