• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canik firearms (update post 51)

deerdad

NES Member
Does anybody have any input on these? My daughter is looking for a first pistol and the TP9SF was brought up as a possibility. She has always leaned heavily towards a Sig p226 because they were comfortable in the hand and she was grouping very well with the 226. Someone had a 1993 226 for sale in the classified section this past week but it disappeared before I could respond to it. The grip on the Canik is close to the 226 and she said it felt comfortable. We're looking to find some input on them (Canik) or hold off and keep looking for a used 226 or even go with a new p320. Mostly for range use but may become a carry firearm in time. Any input?

Greg

excellent pistols. mine has been flawless. they are clone of walther P99/PPQ. same firing mechanism. if the TP9SF fits her hand then would make a fine first pistol. while the 226 is also a great option, I think striker guns are better for new shooters because they're less complex in operation. brings the focus on the trigger rather than hammers, decockers, etc.

Great handguns. I live in metro west if you and your daughter would like to try shooting. I also have several Sigs if she’d like to compare.

Pm me if ur interested.

Best

Rich

I don't have one but everyone that I've seen post about them(various groups etc.) love them, need to get one at some point

Yeah I can still picture the lone gunship straffing a police station and the scared soldiers on the bridge. Might as well buy pistols from North Korea...

I have the TP9SF.
Bought it New with mags, holster, Tupperware etc., for $300. I was at Shooting Supply in Westport just for a “look n’ see”, and the rest is history. I had never heard of Canik prior to the purchase. Figured at that price, if I didn’t like it I could sell it easy enough. However, I like it!
It comes with 3 back straps, which are easy enough to swap out.
Trigger is sweet (light) for being Mass compliant right out Of the box. Recoil is less than expected.
Came with 2 mags, but extra ones are hard to find and are expensive when you do find. This can be good however, as it slows me down a bit and makes ammo last just a bit longer (as long as it takes to reload mags anyway)!
It is too big for EDC, but great for the range.
Overall quite happy with it and will be keeping in my collection. No complaints.

Yeah I can still picture the lone gunship straffing a police station and the scared soldiers on the bridge. Might as well buy pistols from North Korea...
Better not buy any guns from England, then. Remember the American Revolution?
France: French and Indian Wars.
Russia: Cold War
Germany: Holocaust
Etc.

Canik... One of the best secrets out there. For the price they can’t be beat. The trigger out of the box is great.

One thing to consider is the weight though. The additional weight of the sig may have help with the recoil management and helper her comfort.

Canik's are fantastic handguns. My wife bought one a while back as a range toy and we've had no issues at all with it. Good shooter. It points well, has a good trigger (especially for a striker-fired pistol), the slide is easy to manipulate, and has been rock solid in reliability. I've actually been thinking about picking one up for myself

Etc.

Don't forget Japan and Pearl Harbor.
Or Italy and WWII in general.
Or Austria and WWI/WWII and basically producing Hitler.

Lol I love the pre coffee posts. Take note it is a memory not a recommendation. Personally I am more of a Bersa fan and would buy the CC9 if I needed a ghetto striker fire but I don’t.

Bought on for my wife and she really enjoys shooting it.
124 grain makes it a smooth shooter.
Many rounds so far and never an issue.Comes to the range with me almost every trip
She owns the TP9SF , oh and it’s very accurate comes to the range with me almost every trip

Attachments

• E97861A6-0941-40F5-8716-71F97A7B42C8.jpeg
    E97861A6-0941-40F5-8716-71F97A7B42C8.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I don't have anything to add on the Canik, but if she likes the 226 she might like the 229. Those seem to show up in the classifieds pretty often (there's at least one in there now) and are great shooters.

Fully agree. The 226 has a large grip. The 229 is more comfortable for me.

I love my Canik. But a third choice IMHO is a CZ-75B. One of the most natural, easy shooters on the market.

So many guns, so little time...

:)

I don't have anything to add on the Canik, but if she likes the 226 she might like the 229. Those seem to show up in the classifieds pretty often (there's at least one in there now) and are great shooters.

It is whole lot of great pistol for little money. The fit and finish on these guns is remarkable based on the price point. The gun also seems to be reliable to boot. I have dealt with Canik US customer service and they are very customer orientated. It is an all around a great pistol and great support. Don't even hesitate you can go to your local gun shop and purchase a new one for less then you can purchase a beat up well used Sig 226.
The Canik is basically the same pistol as the Walther. The Sig 226 is over complicated and over priced.

I'd gladly entertain an offer on my P229 so someone else can post a $700 Glock lol.

Another pistol for consideration would be the 92FS. Always liked the 92F I had, great shooter.

The Canik is an excellent pistol. It’s a copy of the Walther P99. I believe it’s a licensed copy and not a knock off. The P99 is an excellent pistol as well. I bought one on a whim as a range toy and shot the snot out of it. Ran flawlessly. I sold it to help fund some other gun I just had to have but I had zero complaints.

The Germans don't deny the Holocaust, Japan Pearl Harbor, etc. Turkey does deny committing a genocide, despite the overwhelming evidence they did.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like we'll be going to the shop on Wed for her to purchase her first pistol. She liked the feel of the Canik over the 320 because of a little more of a curve in the palm area. She felt it was a little more comfortable to handle at the shop. She's been shooting my Shield 9 and does well with it and the 320 just doesn't feel quite right compared to the Canik. Also, Thanks to those of you who offered to sell or try one of your pistols. With this being her first pistol purchase, she wants to go new and looks forward to going to the shop. Shes been in there a few time before just to talk and ask questions and now wants to support them. Hopefully she'll give the OK so some pics can be posted here.

Greg

Etc.
To be fair, none of those regimes are still in power, whereas in Turkey, Erdogan is very much still in power. I don't think this is really an accurate comparison.

For the record, I don't own any Caniks and have no skin in the game either way. I just know people that have misgivings about it. That said, my former dentist, who is Jewish, refuses to buy any German products, including Volkswagen, etc., and he wasn't even alive during WW2.

Does anybody have any input on these? My daughter is looking for a first pistol and the TP9SF was brought up as a possibility. She has always leaned heavily towards a Sig p226 because they were comfortable in the hand and she was grouping very well with the 226. Someone had a 1993 226 for sale in the classified section this past week but it disappeared before I could respond to it. The grip on the Canik is close to the 226 and she said it felt comfortable. We're looking to find some input on them (Canik) or hold off and keep looking for a used 226 or even go with a new p320. Mostly for range use but may become a carry firearm in time. Any input?

Greg
There's a Canik for sale at a great price in the classifieds
WTS - P220 10mm, Kahr PM9, CW9, Canik TP9SF, Taylors 1873

I absolutely love my Canik, they're my favorite latest plastik fantastik, I've got approximately 5000 rounds through my TP9SFL since I got in in May. They really are a fantastic value for the price, they are not a cheap pistol by any means, but they are relatively inexpensive. Most people do not have issues right out of the box, but if you were to have failure to extract or failure to feeds, shoot a "hotter" 9mm round at least a 150 or so rounds to help beat it into submission. They come from factory with a very heavy recoil spring (approximately 19 lbs) compared to domestic models, or leave it locked back in storage. They were intended to reliably function with NATO specification 9mm, generally a 124 gr. almost +P. You can contact Century Arms for a lighter recoil spring if you find that it is having issues, they will take care of you quickly!

For you and your daughters purposes, I would certainly recommend the TP9SF Elite if she intends to eventually carry it, as that is the model that is "glock 19 sized," along with a fiber optic front sight. GREAT PACKAGE!

Canik... One of the best secrets out there. For the price they can’t be beat. The trigger out of the box is great.

This 1000 times. I have a bunch of rounds thru mine. As a range gun I'd recommend the SFX, extremely reasonably priced, fantastic trigger, excellent reliablility.

Don't want to send your money to Turkey big deal, I don't want to send my money to the Saudi's but I have to buy gas. What's the point?

Back
Top Bottom