• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cancer sucks!

My mother just found out the tumor that she had removed during open heart surgery is cancerous - sarcoma. Apparently her sarcoma is so rare that there are only 25 cases of her type seen each year internationally. Her treatment is dependent on whether or not it's spread but she will be doing targeted radiation, anyone have any experience from this treatment?

Not going to go into full detail of the entire situation - it just sucks.

This thread is simply to just say cancer sucks, never had such an appreciation for my health. People talk about cancer often but when it hits home it's really something else. I feel for those who went through this with themselves, going through it now, or had a close one go through it.

Stay healthy everyone during this pandemic, just remember this pandemic isn't going to last forever. Take the precautions, don't let your guard down, wear the mask cause why not. From what I heard from 3-5 co workers who got it, it's shitty, it obviously doesn't kill everyone, but you still don't want it.

Last edited:
My mother died three years ago from pancreatic cancer. She lasted five months. My father was diagnosed with esophageal cancer a year later. He was given five years. Still fighting.
Yeah, cancer sucks.

Last edited:
My mother died two years ago from pancreatic cancer. She lasted five months. My father was diagnosed with esophageal cancer a year later. He was given five years. Still fighting.
Yeah, cancer sucks.

I'm so sorry to hear this Canndo. I can't imagine what you and your family have been through. Just know that you're not alone. Like many, when people in the past had mentioned such situations I never really understood what they were going through. Experiencing it myself now changes life completely. No matter what your beliefs are, good health is something that almost everyone takes for granted. It's natural but times like this just make you miss the "normal" times. Your mother is in a better place, I'm sorry for your loss. I wish the best for your father and hope he can become a survivor, or at the very least I hope his treatment whatever he's doing is helping him and he shows good results in some form. My father also just got diagnosed with cancer a year ago and these times certainly are scary. Cancer is just terrible, comes out of no where, does what it wants when it wants.

If you got control over things in your life such as your health, take advantage of it because one day you might not.

I'll send her (and you) my prayers for strength and a positive outcome.
~Matt

Edit: And both of your Dads, macarry and Canndo. Surrounded by Love, families can handle anything...

Last edited:
Macarry, sorry to hear about your mother.
Yeah, life is a fragile thing.
You can have the best of health and suddenly you get hit with something like cancer and realize there isn't anything that you could have done to avoid it.
Best wishes in her fight against it.

Sorry to hear macarry. My Dad died of pancreatic cancer when I was 12. Back then treatment was rough. It was pretty tough on my Mom and not an easy thing to watch. My Mom fought cancer for 20 years. It started as breast cancer, Then it was cancer of the esophagus. Which eventually lead to lung cancer.
There were some tough times with Mom, but she was treated by some of the best at Dana Faber and Brigham & Woman's. There were some great times too. Weddings, Christenings, graduations, Christmas and holidays.
Get the best doctors. My wife fought tirelessly with insurance companies to make it happen and it was worth it. I think they gave in just because they were sick of listening to her. It didn't hurt that she is a Critical Care nurse at the Brigham.
Advocate. You gotta push. Don't be afraid to ask for second opinions and ask questions.
Attitude is everything. It's hard sometimes, but very important that she tries to stay positive. Fight like hell and love like crazy.

I wish you the very best. Feel free to PM me. My wife is still a nurse at the Brigham and I would be happy to ask her anything if it will help. The right doctors can make a difference. Stay strong.

Prayers Inbound. Cancer does suck it seems to always affect the good people and not the shithead's that suck at life. When I lost my Dad who landed on D-Day in the first 6 hour's always joked that if it he made it through that nothing in life was going to stop him. My Dad passed at 82 still working every day up till 2 week's before he passed after they diagnosed him .

Sorry to hear macarry. My Dad died of pancreatic cancer when I was 12. Back then treatment was rough. It was pretty tough on my Mom and not an easy thing to watch. My Mom fought cancer for 20 years. It started as breast cancer, Then it was cancer of the esophagus. Which eventually lead to lung cancer.
There were some tough times with Mom, but she was treated by some of the best at Dana Faber and Brigham & Woman's. There were some great times too. Weddings, Christenings, graduations, Christmas and holidays.
Get the best doctors. My wife fought tirelessly with insurance companies to make it happen and it was worth it. I think they gave in just because they were sick of listening to her. It didn't hurt that she is a Critical Care nurse at the Brigham.
Advocate. You gotta push. Don't be afraid to ask for second opinions and ask questions.
Attitude is everything. It's hard sometimes, but very important that she tries to stay positive. Fight like hell and love like crazy.

I wish you the very best. Feel free to PM me. My wife is still a nurse at the Brigham and I would be happy to ask her anything if it will help. The right doctors can make a difference. Stay strong.

Fencer has it right, macarry. I had cancer and it was treated by targeted radiation. It worked wonderfully, and there were no real side effects. Cancer-free almost five years now. My best to you and your mom. PM me if you'd like.

Roger

Few years ago my mom was being treated for emphysema(lifelong smoker until then). They were doing an xray to release her from treatments because she was doing better. They saw a small spot on her lung and did some further tests. She had small-cell lung cancer, which is one of the ones they don't find until it's too late. She was treated for it and doing better, they found another spot of it and treated her. She's one of the few people ever to have that more than once, let alone survive it. She has other issues now from the chemo and radiation.

Wow. I can't believe how many heart warming replies I just read on this thread. So much useful information, but I would be a terrible person to focus on myself after reading all of this.
Each and everyone of you that shared a reply with similar experience - I feel tremendously for you every minute of the day. I'm just an average kid who had it pretty easy so far in my life. Never thought this would or could happen to my family. Boy did I need a reality check, but didn't want something like this.

My mother or parent I'll say like many of your loved ones is so close to me. She's a great woman like many who hates spreading sadness. I think she hides her fear and maybe even suffering (if any). I vowed after her diagnosis to never pass by even a stranger with similar experiences. This shit is real. I can see many people severely struggling with this maybe not even during the terrible experience but years after, and once this pandemic is over I will take a hands on approach to doing my part in helping kids with cancer hopefully with volunteer services.

My parent is not old nor young but has had a good life. I can't begin to imagine what parents go through with children going through this terrible sickness.

Reading this wonderful replies helps remove the sting. Knowing that others have experienced this (unfortunately) makes me feel like I'm not on an island alone. So you shouldn't either. No matter what part of the terrible experience you're in, know that you're not alone. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you just need an outsider to talk to. I know I've looked for it & received it as I needed it. I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to talk to someone else and feel isolated. This is not a tolerable experience for any individual.

I'm so blessed and fortunate we live here in New England near such amazing institutes and doctors. I get so frustrated as even with these hospitals they can't give you quick immediate answers, you have to be patient. Staying positive is hard but I know for their sake it's important. I'm sure later in life no matter the out come it's going to really mess with me at some point. I chose to accept this and will channel my energy to helping others as I know that's what my mom would be proud of.

I'll send her (and you) my prayers for strength and a positive outcome.
~Matt

Edit: And both of your Dads, macarry and Canndo. Surrounded by Love, families can handle anything...

Thank you so much Matt. That is so true, family bond is strong and can't be broken. I challenge those who may struggle with past connections to test this. Life is too short to be stubborn or too passive.

wishing the best for your mom macarry and your dad canndo. cancer sucks, you are right. it touches every family eventually it seems, mine sure has seen it's share.

Thanks Greencobra, I'm sorry about your experience with cancer as well. No matter the outcome, tough times don't last but tough people do.

Macarry, sorry to hear about your mother.
Yeah, life is a fragile thing.
You can have the best of health and suddenly you get hit with something like cancer and realize there isn't anything that you could have done to avoid it.
Best wishes in her fight against it.

Thank you so much oldguy, life is indeed fragile. I've learned that you can't live everyday in fear but you have to respect the possibilities and outcomes of certain situations.
Cancer is a bit** It comes or goes, takes what it wants or doesnt when it wants. You can treat it, but you can't prevent it always. Thank you, I will pass the support along to her as I know it all helps. This is such a great community.

Prayers being said. Hope for a positive outcome.

Thank you ISOTOX, hopefully I can look back on it as a nightmare, which it is. However, I'll never forget this time no matter what the outcome is. I feel for those impacted by cancer in any aspect.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know he's in a better place now and is at rest. 12 is a young age to be dealing with this. Although the pain may go away for the most part after such a loss, it stays with you I'm sure. If you ever want to talk please feel free to reach out. Treatment seems to have come along way, but of course can't always "fix" the issue(s). I feel for your mother, as everyone is battling something and to go through that situation at a high or low point in life is devastating. 20 years is a long battle. What a strong woman. My mother is also very strong. I wouldn't be half as strong as her going through this. I'm learning soft tissue sarcoma is similar as it can literally go anywhere. Fortunately, they found it on her chest, removed it (mostly). Target radiation should help, and she's doing more scans to see if it's elsewhere but they currently have no signs. Which I don't understand as she hasn't had a PET scan and may not get one for whatever reason. Googling this information is scary as hell as her cancer is so rare (soft tissue sarcoma), and the type she has (cardiac) is extra rare.....which I don't know is a good thing or bad thing. I assume bad as they haven't seen it a lot, maybe enough, but not a lot. Even on her phone calls with her doctors my mom is willing to do whatever needed to help the next person no matter the out come. Even during this terrible moment in her life, she is thinking of others. To me, that is more bada** than anything else and I know this is where my personality is from as I too am willing to always help others no matter the cost. My mother is going to the same facility here in MA. I just graduated college & am so glad to have accomplished this for her as I struggled in school and am glad I was able to finish it. It's tough getting the best care as there are so many other patients. Dana Faber is absolutely amazing though as you are cared by a team and not an individual. I too understand those insurance phone calls and feel for those who literally have to battle to be taken care of or get better care. When she was in the ICU for 1 month after having severe breathing complications due to her mass on her heart, I appreciated those in the field so much, for information but also for their efforts of helping others, paid or not I don't care. I think my mom is having a bit of a hard time self advocating and is more or less along for the ride. Also, she isn't pushing for dark/scary questions which doesn't help in general, not trying to sound selfish but sometimes I personally would rather know the likely possibilities than wonder constantly. Thank you so much, what an amazing saying "Fight like hell and love like crazy".

So sorry to hear. In my prayers.

Thank you very much.

Sorry to heart it, macarry. My father passed away last year at 62 from brain cancer. It came completely out of the blue. I just made sure I was always there for him, trying to keep his mind in a positive place.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. 62 is too young, just too young. I totally understand what you're saying "came out of the blue". On mother's day we were celebrating my mother. Literally the day after she went to Beverly hospital and was than in an induced coma on a ventilator in the ICU for 3+ weeks. Scary shit. This pandemic didn't help either as we literally couldn't go to the hospital to see her and relied strictly on phone calls with nurses/doctors and holy crap was it scary. Later to find after her open heart surgery she had a cancerous tumor. She could've died any one of those days in the ICU, and she survived. I take that for granted even now as I just want this to all be over and go back to the good old times with no stress, perfect health. I'm just immature & naive. I promise to remember this reply from you and will try to do the same and be there for her, and to keep her mind in a positive place. Thank you for this reply.

No advice here other than do your best to appreciate every day and stay positive.

Prayers and best wishes to all.

I really appreciate you taking time to reply. Thank you, I will stay positive and I will TRY to live every day to the fullest.

Cancer does suck. No argument there. My father passed because of it back in May. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

You can say that again. Cancer sucks. I'm so sorry for your loss, I know that he's in a better place now & is at least at rest. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Prayers Inbound. Cancer does suck it seems to always affect the good people and not the shithead's that suck at life. When I lost my Dad who landed on D-Day in the first 6 hour's always joked that if it he made it through that nothing in life was going to stop him. My Dad passed at 82 still working every day up till 2 week's before he passed after they diagnosed him .

Thank you for your prayers. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the same. So many scum bags out there and this happens to such a great & strong woman. She is so loving & caring. Thank you for your family's service in protecting this country & it's beliefs. I hope to be half the man he was. What a guy, 82 years old isn't bad, working 2 weeks before he passed says something about what must be in your blood as well (good work ethics, hard working mentality). I'm sorry for what you went through & I'm sorry for your loss. Your father is in a better place & is at rest.

Fencer has it right, macarry. I had cancer and it was treated by targeted radiation. It worked wonderfully, and there were no real side effects. Cancer-free almost five years now. My best to you and your mom. PM me if you'd like.

Roger

Wow. This was really nice to read (but of course sad to hear you had to go through this). I'm so glad it worked wonderfully. I hope your cancer never returns and you live a long healthy life with your family and/or friends. I appreciate the nice offer & I appreciate your thoughts.

Few years ago my mom was being treated for emphysema(lifelong smoker until then). They were doing an xray to release her from treatments because she was doing better. They saw a small spot on her lung and did some further tests. She had small-cell lung cancer, which is one of the ones they don't find until it's too late. She was treated for it and doing better, they found another spot of it and treated her. She's one of the few people ever to have that more than once, let alone survive it. She has other issues now from the chemo and radiation.

Hey Mikey, I'm so sorry to hear about what your mother went through. No matter the cause no one deserves to get sick like that. I'm sorry for what you and your family went through as well.
That is EXTREMELY uplifting to hear that she is a survivor of something that is so scary. This reply WILL in fact keep me off of google now and I'll stop pretending to read information about my mom's cancer as if I'm a doctor. I'm sorry that she has other complications, but at least she is still with you, and I hope that she can soon enjoy her time with you and her loved ones more after these issues hopefully go away.

Thank you NES for such a great community of people. I sometimes regret impacting people with this sadness, but it's nice to just hear things from an outsiders view. I think this is one of the most difficult things we've recently been experiencing as amazing as these doctors and facilities are, no matter where you go, no one is all in like you are with your loved one. But hearing opinions/experiences/advice from outsiders helps you get better clarity of the situation for what it is. If that makes any sense. I think the place she is going is AMAZING and I thank god each and every day that she is going to this great institute that people travel all over from to go to.

Thank you for your thoughts & prayers everyone. Know that you aren't alone if you're going through this. My PM inbox is open to anyone. Don't hesitate. Please feel free to reach out if you want to talk as this stuff sucks and no one should go through it alone or should go through it with full support. Stay strong & positive people.

Tough times don't last but tough people do.

I went through targeted cranial radiation treatment as a kid with Lukemia but that was 30+ years ago and have to assume that it's changed since. What kicked my ass more than that was the chemo regimen.

It's different looking at it from the outside in for sure. Hope things turn for the better.

Cancer sucks, indeed.

My mother passed from endometrial cancer that metastasized throughout her body.

My takeaway from her two-year ordeal, is that the doctors will tell you it's "highly treatable.'

Treatable is not the same as curable. Yes, they extended her life, but at a huge cost in money, time, effort, and suffering. Near the end she said she'd just wished she'd let it run its course and didn't delay the inevitable. I know my father would have spent anything to help her, but when it was all said and done she died anyway, and he was out a couple hundred grand for it.

May God bless you all.

You and your family are in my thoughts - I wish you nothing but the best of luck. I know too many people that have had to deal with one type of cancer or another and it's always an uphill fight. Stay strong for your mom and, again, best of luck moving forward.

Appreciate the nice replies, as well hope this can be a thread where others can share any amount of frustration as well, wasn't intended for just my current situation.

It also doesn't help that we are in the middle of a pandemic. Whether or not we all end up getting covid & how bad it actually is for us who the hell knows. But it definitely doesn't help, that's for sure. It sounds like getting the virus now isn't nearly as bad as it was months ago. However, with my mom's situation every time I get a scratchy throat from these damn seasonal MA allergies (anyone else getting seasonal allergies right now here in MA?) I can't help but panic even know I know other's responses are that I'm just on high guard/worried. I feel for those impacted by covid or people who are high risk like my mom. I can't even imagine what people with high risk in high case areas are experiencing right now.

Sorry to hear and sending prayers to you and your mother. It's hard to find anyone who hasn't been affected by cancer (personally or indirectly). Cancer sucks, and no one deserves it.

Praying for a speedy and successful recovery. As you said, you're probably in one of the best places in the nation for treatment, and with COVID on the retreat here, I hope it has minimal impact on your mother getting the care she deserves.

Wishing your Mom the best for a positive outcome. I've lost family members to cancer and my wife recently finished her course of chemo and they want to do radiation now.

Brigham & Woman's Hospital, they saved my life
Rat187: Me too. Along with Dana Farber. I was wheeled into the ER 16 years ago today, July 10, 2004. I didnt breath outside air for 8 weeks, and dont remember 6 of them.
I am thankful every day, especially for my 11 year old son who came along later, something my docs told me at the time might not be possible, due to my chemo treatments.

Cancer sucks. Treatment sucks.
Sometimes we come out the other side still on Earth. Either way its hell on loved ones.

OP thought and prayers for your mom.

Back
Top Bottom