• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cancer patient beaten by TSA

They are foolish only suing for $100K, they should have added at least a zero to that and demanded A&B charges against the agent that smashed her head on the floor.

Someone should go to jail, but will likely get paid leave. It's OK, last I checked the route from Memphis to Chattanooga was a high security risk area, and young white girl cancer patients are known to be dangerous. Seriously, WTF...

Those of you who are a little older remember the news clips of people gunned down simply for trying to make a dash for West Germany. The concept of it was horrifying and of course that would never happen here. Flash forward, and the sh!t making the news every week here makes the Stasi and GDR guards look tame by comparison. I'm not sure I could have let that alone had I have been in line with this poor family.

I fly quite frequently (TSA Pre check, Global Entry, United Global Services, etc.) and see very mixed performance of the TSA. There are professionals doing a good job, but there are also way too many idiots and/or jerks. Apparently there are felons getting a free pass now too. Not to go into details, but I am not very tolerant of their games and will very politely but firmly remind them what they may or may not do, and I'm not bashful about asking them to get it going right away if for some reason I need extra attention. Worst case, they should simply refuse entry- no need to beat little girls against the floor.

TSA is authorized by law to to detain people and use physical force to compel compliance? I thought that's why they had law enforcement officers at airports. I was under the impression TSA donks didn't have such authority.

If what I read elsewhere was true it was the airport cops that did the actual slam.
Either way there should have been more than her blood on the floor.
A nice mob beating would have done the trick.

It doesn't matter , some talking head will step up to a mic and shower praise on the brave men and women doing a tough job.
I about split a gut when I heard that my Mother in law who's in a wheel chair looked at the TSA moron who said to her "Could you get out of the chair for me?" And said, "Are you a little slow?"

It doesn't matter , some talking head will step up to a mic and shower praise on the brave men and women doing a tough job.
I about split a gut when I heard that my Mother in law who's in a wheel chair looked at the TSA moron who said to her "Could you get out of the chair for me?" And said, "Are you a little slow?"

I think most of them are MORE than a little "slow"!

man, it just keeps getting crazier and crazier. they should have some sort of medical professional take these folks through the checkpoints, someone who understands these type of medical issues.

$100K plus "an undisclosed amount in punitive damages"

Article says she was flying with her parents, why did TSA separate her from them?
Seventeen-year-old Hannah Cohen was preparing to fly from Memphis to her home in Chattanooga with her parents last year. ...Shirley Cohen tried to inform the agents about her daughter's disabilities, she told television station WREG, but airport police kept her away. That's when the situation between Hannah and the TSA officials became violent
Here's the claim in the lawsuit:
The Plaintiff, Shirley Cohen, repeatedly tried to tell the personnel manning the security checkpoint of her daughter's brain tumor and disabilities. However, the personnel at the security checkpoint refused to listen to the Plaintiff, Shirley Cohen, concerning her daughter's disability. They proceeded to assault the Plaintiff, Hannah Cohen, at the checkpoint, causing her physical and emotional injury as well as emotional injury to the Plaintiff, Shirley Cohen as she witnessed the assault on her daughter.

The claim isn't limited to $100K: "The family is now suing for a "reasonable sum, not exceeding $100,000.00", plus an undisclosed amount in punitive damages. "

When I had brain cancer, I got radioactive scans that would set off a metal detector. I had to carry a card in my wallet to show at the airport. After all that chemo, the brain doesn't work as quickly as it used to. I feel bad for this kid and hope they sue the shit out of those scumbags for a lot more than $100,000.00.

How it should have went down.. Bold mine

Shirley Cohen tried to inform the agents about her daughter's disabilities, she told television station WREG, but airport police kept her away. That's when the situation between Hannah and the TSA officials became violent:
"She's trying to get away from them but in the next instant, one of them had her down on the ground and hit her head on the floor. There was blood everywhere," said [Shirley]. At this point, fellow human beings witnessing the attack rushed in to restrain the perpetrators and stop the assault. Officers were disarmed and handcuffed to prevent injury to themselves or others. Legitimate law enforcement was notified of the attack, and witness statements, as well as video evidence was collected. All involved were arrested, and transported to jail to await trial for assault and battery.

Worked at Logan before and after 911 when the TSA began. Some, meaning a few, TSA workers thought they were almighty for sure. They suck. I saw all kinds of violations that were worse than a person setting off the metal detectors. If I had to go though them I always set them off.

Last edited:
TSA can suck beyond belief. Imagine pushing someone in their wheel chair up through the security line, getting told that they can't go through the metal detector in that chair, (that was expected), then told that they can't use their properly fitted Canadian crutches, but instead expected to walk through with a wooden cane, and then when their underwire bra sets off the detector, watching them get groped. Fcking humiliating, pointless security theater.

We avoid flying as much as possible, and I'm a LOT more aggressive about allowing any TSA personnel near my wife when we do fly.

I know 2 people who went to work for TSA at Logan. They were instructed that whatever they said or did was "law".

You couldn't pay me to ever go near Logan again and I quit flying for good in 2003, if I can't drive there I'm not going. My Wife isn't happy but she doesn't believe me when I tell her that I'd be arrested for certain if they pulled shit on her which I would fully expect.

Wife was offered TSA job at Logan, about 4 or 5 years ago after getting laid-off from her longtime job at the Boston (ugh!) Globe (but the $ and benefits were good there so she held her nose and was a loyal Glob worker - right up until they outsourced her and about 20 of her friends jobs to New Mexico).. So she applied various places including TSA and got offered but she passed....She's SO glad she didn't take it...
Then early this year she got notified that her application info, all personal info etc (and they ask everything cuz its a "strong background check" etc) had been "most likely compromised" in one of the massive hacks of .gov data...
In retrospect, we probably should've set up our own server in our basement for added security. Oh well...

Now Putin and the Chinese know everything about us...
[emoji35]

Back
Top Bottom