Canadian General Fined $2k For N/D

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
General fined $2,000 for accidental gunshot in Iraq

GATINEAU, Que. -- Canada's top special forces soldier has been fined $2,000 after accidentally firing his weapon near another military officer last year.

A military judge handed down the punishment after Maj.-Gen. Mike Rouleau pleaded guilty at a court martial on Tuesday to one count of conduct to the prejudice of good order and discipline.

The case stemmed from an incident in northern Iraq last December, where 170 Canadian special forces are training Kurdish forces in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

According to a statement of facts read during the court martial, Rouleau and another officer were getting ready to visit a forward operating base after presenting several soldiers with medals when his rifle fired one round. The bullet hit the ground less than two feet from the other officer.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/general-fined-2-000-for-accidental-gunshot-in-iraq-1.3109761

Whoops! [shocked]

I don't know about Canada, but in the US Army, there's no such thing as an AD.

If the gun fired at the wrong time, it is either broken (rarely happens) or it was an ND.

Fail to clear properly, and discharge into a clearing barrel? ND.

Safety fail, but finger was on trigger? ND.

Even most failures are considered ND's, because the failure didn't cause the discharge.

Or, at least that's how it went 5 years ago, and word is it hasn't changed.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US Army, there's no such thing as an AD.

If the gun fired at the wrong time, it is either broken (rarely happens) or it was an ND.

Fail to clear properly, and discharge into a clearing barrel? ND.

Safety fail, but finger was on trigger? ND.

Even most failures are considered ND's, because the failure didn't cause the discharge.

Or, at least that's how it went 5 years ago, and word is it hasn't changed.

20 years ago, the Army called them ADs. I had one once, with blanks at Ranger School, and my sentence was to low-crawl up a rocky hill with an M60 for a couple hours.

I thought that was fair.

20 years ago, the Army called them ADs. I had one once, with blanks at Ranger School, and my sentence was to low-crawl up a rocky hill with an M60 for a couple hours.

I thought that was fair.

These days, you would get an Article 15 if it was live ammo.

That said, it was blanks, and I too think it was fair. As the level of guy that would mete out said penalties (I'm a retired E-7, currently a O-1 in the state guard, not national), that's about what you would get for an ND with blanks.

These days, you would get an Article 15 if it was live ammo.

That said, it was blanks, and I too think it was fair. As the level of guy that would mete out said penalties (I'm a retired E-7, currently a O-1 in the state guard, not national), that's about what you would get for an ND with blanks.

At the time, it was supposed to be dismissal from the course. But I think the RIs of any era would probably rather not drop guys for stupid mistakes, and mine was a stupid mistake.

Low-crawling with an LMG is very, very hard.

Know why Ft Dix is so flat and low? Guys like me pushed it there.

Low crawling with an M16A1 sucked bad enough, I can't believe doing it with an M60 was any better.

Back
Top Bottom