• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canada Charges dropped against man who resisted armed home invaders in Porters Lake

Well, they would have been charged here, as well. After they've retreated, they're not fair game anymore.

Evans chose to fight back. He eventually gained control of the shotgun and the masked intruders ran out of the house.

He used the shotgun to fire two slugs at the suspects’ truck. Birdshot hit one of the men in the upper leg area.

Homeowner Kyle Earl Munroe had been knocked unconscious after three culprits – two carrying shotguns - forced their way into the house on Old Fairbanks Road in search of money.

When he came to, Munroe grabbed a .22-calibre rifle he illegally had in the house and headed outside as well.

Munroe emptied two 10-round ammunition clips at the truck, which ended up stuck in the ditch. One of the bullets struck the same man in the back.

He was lucky. It is hard to argue self defense when shooting at a fleeing attacker.
However, it was also not even close to a slam dunk that a jury would convict regardless the evidence. They probably tried and failed to get him to plead to lesser charges.

The suspects were fleeing the crime scene, but their truck got stuck and they were still armed with a shot gun. I think you could probably spend all day filling the truck cab with lead and not be convicted by a jury. Although it would suck to have to go to trial.

It is cases like this that makes me wonder if you would be better off if you went public, go to the TV, newspaper and social media to tell your story. Shame the Government into dropping the charges.

One mans "fleeing in a truck" is another mans "recovering a weapon (truck) and preparing to strike again".

Not everywhere is Massachusetts. This being Canada, I'm surprised...

Don't start no shit, won't be no shit. "I was running!" after you did a home invasion and tried to kill a guy - who cares.

One mans "fleeing in a truck" is another mans "recovering a weapon (truck) and preparing to strike again

That didn't occur to me, using the truck as a weapon.
Which shows you are always better off if you, dummy up and lawyer up. Just keep it short and sweet. I felt my life was in danger, can I speak to an Attorney?

Last edited:
That didn't occur to me, using the truck as a weapon.
Which shows you are always better off if you, dummy up and lawyer up. Just keep it short and sweet. I felt my life was in danger, can I speak to an Attorney?

I like to toss in "I need an ambulance, I want to go to the hospital" along with some heavy breathing and chest clutching - in lieu of the attorney bit. If they hold you up for questioning they're in trouble, and if they take the ambulance ride with you after any sort of mothers little helper, nothing you say is going to come back to bite you.

Just saw this story and couldn’t help but laugh at the astute reasoning:
Evans said he found the justice system frustrating, slow and inefficient.

“I’m glad someone over there at the Crown finally had some common sense, but it should have happened way sooner,” he said.

“It took a year and a half to get them to realize something they should have realized in two weeks.”

Evans said his life was in limbo the whole time.

“If this had gone to trial, I believe we would have made them look silly,” he said.

“I’m fighting for my life and you have the audacity to charge me for pointing a weapon at these people – their own weapon? It’s not my weapon. I’m watching a baseball game, drinking a beer, and these guys burst in.”

One mans "fleeing in a truck" is another mans "recovering a weapon (truck) and preparing to strike again".

Not everywhere is Massachusetts. This being Canada, I'm surprised...

Don't start no shit, won't be no shit. "I was running!" after you did a home invasion and tried to kill a guy - who cares.

Not me for sure.
Which direction your facing at the moment is not a factor after you just tried to kill someone.

Picture this conversation between two LE officers after some guy just fired multiple shots at them.
Officer 1 : Whoa whoa, don't shoot there John , he's facing away from us now.
Officer 2 : Oh crap your right there Fred , what the hell was I thinking. We gotta let him get away.

Back
Top Bottom