Can you transfer a doe tag in Mass?

Who cares? People trying to manage deer herd might care.

Because if you are talking about tag trading, or someone shooting a deer they dont have a tag for, that is called Poaching.

My question is why would you even bother to check a poached deer?
He's not wrong people.

Last edited:
Poachers are stealing from the honest sportsmen who've paid Billion$ for conservation

EPO 24-hr #'s to report violations: 800-632-8075; 617-626-1665 (state-wide dispatch)

Does anyone remember the year when Mass primitive firearms hunters started needing a doe tag?
It seems like it was only a few years ago, but I'm probably wrong.

It affected archers as well. I think they gave archers a couple weeks more time around the same time. Archery used to start first week of November

Ill say it was around ten years ago. Could be a bit more as time flies by.
It was a rather big deal as changes go for hunting and a lot of people didnt like it

They also gave muzzleloaders a boost in time as well. As muzzleloaders season was only 3 days

Which is why I say the amount of hunters may be going down, but the amount of available hunter days has nearly tripled since I started hunting.

Back then archery started around first of Nov. til Nov 21st. The you had ONE week of shotgun, the 3days of muzzleloader. You had ONE buck tag, And doe tags werent easy to get, but they were only for shotgun. You could take a doe in archery or mz without a permit. Two deer total. Had to check deer before hunting again.

Hunters now have way more liberal than we had it when I started. I dont think the deer herd in my area can handle the increased pressure. Added to that coyotes came in as well in the same time period. The new stuff is probably fine in the east but everything I see points to herd decline in central/west.

Last edited:
It was around 2000 or so
The herd definitely varies by region. I'm near the Ashby/Townsend line and the woods surrounding it looks like a petting zoo.

That sounds about right.

I would have said 20 years as well. Before that it was any doe, anywhere, primitive weapons only. ML were smoothbore only initially.

Bob

The herd definitely varies by region. I'm near the Ashby/Townsend line and the woods surrounding it looks like a petting zoo.

That sounds about right.
If you cant hunt it there are deer in little pockets in a lot of places. My neighbor used to hunt up that way. Said there were more deer.

If imgoing to travel, I go to CT where there are definitely more deer

Back
Top Bottom