Can you thread bolt action rifle barrel for brake with action still attached?

Searched forum, but did not find answer to my specific question.

I have a heavy barrel Remington 700 Varminter in 308, new this year with < 400 rounds through it. Sub MOA with my hand loaded match ammo, (sitting in an aftermarket pillared stock with appropriate glass for long range shooting and aftermarket trigger). Only shortcoming it has is it at long ranges (600 yards plus) I cannot see my impacts with recoil moving my field of view. Answer seems to be add a brake to front end to reduce upward recoil which I would like to try IF the barrel can be threaded for a brake with the action attached.

Looking for a gunsmith to do this. Not interested in "hand threading a barrel". Not interested in removing barrel from the action. (I know its not that difficult to do, I have tools to remove and replace barrel and check head space, have done it before and will again).

This rifle is destined to be retired as a moderate range (<450 yards, mostly 300-350 yard) hunting rifle for coyotes and deer. I have one spot I love to sit, elevated enclosed blind on a ridge, with shots to left and right from 100 to 450 yards). Deer season lasts 7 weeks, with coyotes going for another two+ months after that. So adding a brake is just something I would like to try with this one. Brake would be removed before retiring to hunting role.

I already have a Rem 700 action stripped down for my build for long range work, and will order the barrel for that one threaded for a brake, which explains why I am not interested in pulling barrel on this one.

So, can a gunsmith thread a barreled action for a break?

Searched forum, but did not find answer to my specific question.

I have a heavy barrel Remington 700 Varminter in 308, new this year with < 400 rounds through it. Sub MOA with my hand loaded match ammo, (sitting in an aftermarket pillared stock with appropriate glass for long range shooting and aftermarket trigger). Only shortcoming it has is it at long ranges (600 yards plus) I cannot see my impacts with recoil moving my field of view. Answer seems to be add a brake to front end to reduce upward recoil which I would like to try IF the barrel can be threaded for a brake with the action attached.

Looking for a gunsmith to do this. Not interested in "hand threading a barrel". Not interested in removing barrel from the action. (I know its not that difficult to do, I have tools to remove and replace barrel and check head space, have done it before and will again).

This rifle is destined to be retired as a moderate range (<450 yards, mostly 300-350 yard) hunting rifle for coyotes and deer. I have one spot I love to sit, elevated enclosed blind on a ridge, with shots to left and right from 100 to 450 yards). Deer season lasts 7 weeks, with coyotes going for another two+ months after that. So adding a brake is just something I would like to try with this one. Brake would be removed before retiring to hunting role.

I already have a Rem 700 action stripped down for my build for long range work, and will order the barrel for that one threaded for a brake, which explains why I am not interested in pulling barrel on this one.

So, can a gunsmith thread a barreled action for a break?

Short answer, yes they can. They most likely will have to pull the barrel, although I have seen more than a couple done with the receiver still attached on certain pass through chuck jawed lathes.

If your gunsmith has the right tools, yes.

I once had a bubba'd Lee Enfield No. 4 back-bored and 12 degree crown applied (it was cord-worn). My guy either clamped the barreled action in his pass-through, or still-clamped it from the tail end and chucked the tools.

Either way is easy for someone who knows his way around machine tools.

Have you thought about having the barrel ported. I've 2 pistols that are ported,1 by MagNaPort not sure who did the other and though it may increase noise it does help reduce recoil.

Your barrel can absolutely be threaded with the action still attached, as long as your gunsmith has access to a lathe with a 4" spindle or greater. The rem 700 is a pretty skinny action, and they are very easy guns to work with. All that being said, there is literally zero downside to removing the barrel for threading, especially if you are using a scope, and don't have ramped rifle sights on your barrel. Most 700 barrels have a pretty weak "crush" shoulder at the action, and most good gunsmiths will clean this up for you while doing barrel work. It sounds like you already have a pretty accurate rifle, but there is always room for improvement! We don't do a lot of barrel work here, but we do work with a high end 700 custom shop frequently. Feel free to send a message if you'd like their info.

Back
Top Bottom