• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you take antlerless deer in Vermont during archery season?

Can't find much info on this. I thought an archery tag was for a legal buck, and the limit is one per season. However I am seeing some people say you can an antlerless with each stamp you buy? Any thoughts on this?

Can't find much info on this. I thought an archery tag was for a legal buck, and the limit is one per season. However I am seeing some people say you can an antlerless with each stamp you buy? Any thoughts on this?
Looks like you can take up to 4 deer total if the zone you hunt in has available antlerless archery tags to do so.

I think only one legal buck per season is still correct. There are minimal antler restrictions. (mainly no spikes)

So here's the language that is confusing, according to VT Fish and Wildlife's website: "Now, regulated antlerless deer hunting through either-sex archery hunting, the youth deer weekend and a controlled permit system during the muzzleloading season"

It doesn't say "either sex archery hunting by permit system". Then, under the rules table it says this: "WMUs open to antlerless deer hunting in archery season will be posted in August"

One could understand why it seems like you can hunt antlerless deer with a bow during archery season, without a permit. I understand the zone has to be posted for it, but do I need a separate antlerless archery permit?

Ok, I talked to VT Fish and Wildlife, here is the deal (in case anyone is watching this thread, wondering):

Each archery tag you buy (I think you can buy up to 4?) can be filled with an antlerless deer. There is no separate permit or lottery for this, the archery tag itself is good for either sex. However, if you get a buck during archery, that's your one buck for the year. No gun season for you! I didn't realize that, but it makes sense.

All WMU's for the 2021 hunting season are open to antlerless archery. Not sure where that is posted, but that is straight from VT F&W.

Mark from MA basically called this one on the money. Thanks for all the input, and good luck this year!

Back
Top Bottom