• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you still get a ar or ak kit?

Just wondering if its still possible to legally build ak or ar. If so what kits and places of purchase would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can build an AK or AR from an 80% lower and a parts kit. You are making the firearm yourself so it doesnt need a serial number. Lots of info on the web and check out AKfiles forum

Im sure the AGO's office will be lots of help. But seriously I think the OP knows that we aren't lawyers and these are opinions only. Its up to him to decide and educate himself on the legalities.

Sorry OP but this thread should go away.

I'll repeat whats been said many times already. "Nobody knows" Period.

The new "rules" (enforcement notice) arent clearly spelled out in written law and moreover thus far have been "evolving" at the AG's whim. Do and act as you see fit.

Yes you can build an AK or AR from an 80% lower and a parts kit. You are making the firearm yourself so it doesnt need a serial number. Lots of info on the web and check out AKfiles forum

Many would say its not that simple. So I wouldnt necessarily give out that advise.

One might also say that seeking advice on legal matters online is a very stupid thing and following the advice you get is even stupider. Advice like this is what gets people jammed up. Folks seem to think that there is something magical about 80% lowers that somehow exempts them from all firearms laws. This is absolutely not true. ALL firearms laws still apply to firearms built from 80% lowers. Nobody is going to get a pass for having an unregistered firearm in MA or one that doesn't comply with various state or federal laws because they built it from an 80% lower. Nobody is going to get into court and have a prosecutor holding up an AR with a collapsible stock and a 12" barrel that has a homemade lightning link installed in it and get off when their lawyer stands up and says "Your honor, my client built that from an 80% lower, so he didn't have to follow any of the laws." The judge isn't going to say "Holy crap!! He did?!?!? That is freaking awesome! Case dismissed! I would like to respectfully ask the defendant to see me in my chambers so that we can discuss how I can build something that awesome myself."

OP, as others have said, contact the AG's office or consult an actual lawyer before you do anything. We've had this thread, or variations thereof about 5,000,000 times since 7/20. Healey reinterpreted the law to state that it is illegal to manufacture or possess an "assault rifle" that came into existence after 7/20. If you want to keep yourself out of hot water, call the AG or a good gun lawyer. If they happen to tell you to knock yourself out, get that in writing and make about 50 copies to stash everywhere. IANAL and this is not legal advice.

No one was talking about building NFA short barrels rifles. Nothing magical but i like your exaggerated courtroom scene, well done.

No one was talking about building NFA short barrels rifles. Nothing magical but i like your exaggerated courtroom scene, well done.
The NFA stuff may have been an exaggeration, but his basic premise still applies:
Folks seem to think that there is something magical about 80% lowers that somehow exempts them from all firearms laws. This is absolutely not true. ALL firearms laws still apply to firearms built from 80% lowers. Nobody is going to get a pass for having an unregistered firearm in MA or one that doesn't comply with various state or federal laws because they built it from an 80% lower.

The only caveat to his quote that I am aware of is that using an 80% lower can get you out of serial numbers or "registration" but it's not carte blanche to violate federal and state law.

sometimes the best opinion is not having one. [frown]

Haha yes im finding that out real quick around here. In fact, why even have the "Build it yourself" subforum?
And I stand corrected per that ATF link once you build it into a firearm you need to stamp a serial number on it.

Last edited:
Haha yes im finding that out real quick around here. In fact, why even have the "Build it yourself" subforum?
And I stand corrected per that ATF link once you build it into a firearm you need to stamp a serial number on it.
You can also build things others than EBRs. To get back to the original question from the OP, an 80% receiver does not provide a legal backdoor to the AG's AWB enforcement. If you decide to build one, you do so at your own discretion and possible peril. There is nothing in the MA AWB or AG's enforcement notification that exempts rifles built from 80% blanks. It is the AG's opinion that if you purchase or possess a rifle failing her two arbitrary similarity tests not owned prior to 7/20/16, you are violating the AWB.

It would still need to have a EFA-10 filed in order to be legal in MA. You can no longer file an EFA-10 on a "assault rifle" since 7/20. So yes, he could build it, but it would not be legal in MA

Last edited:
The NFA stuff may have been an exaggeration, but his basic premise still applies:

The only caveat to his quote that I am aware of is that using an 80% lower can get you out of serial numbers or "registration" but it's not carte blanche to violate federal and state law.

Please show me the MGL citation that states that if you build it yourself from an 80% lower that you do NOT have to register it in MA via eFA-10?

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/receiver-blanks

Here is a link to the magical 80% receivers.
Again no one here has been talking about NFA firearms or advocating violation of state and federal law, "carte blanche"

Sorry, wrong . . . many here do advocate violating MA state laws by not registering (eFA-10) that which they build from 80% lowers.

It would still need to have a EFA-10 filed in order to be legal in MA. You can no longer file an EFA-10 on a "assault rifle" since 7/20. So yes, he could build it, but it would not be legal in MA

Correct that you legally must do the eFA-10. Wrong that you can no longer register an "assault rifle" (per AG re-definition) since 7/20. The system will let you do the eFA-10 . . . what the AG chooses to do with that info is another story and she does get access to all the eFA-10s in the system!

Please show me where it says that you have to register your own manufactured firearm in MA

im not doing research for you but Len is correct. once its fully functional it must be fa-10

plus you reside in boston so you can't have one anyway.

You guys are speculating just as much as the rest of us in this thread. You dont need to do research for me just back up your statements, since you both are acting like the authorities on the issue.

You guys are speculating just as much as the rest of us in this thread. You dont need to do research for me just back up your statements, since you both are acting like the authorities on the issue.

Sorry, you're right . . . you are the ex-spurt here that knows all of MA gun law. I know nothing about MA gun laws, so just ignore my posts and carry on. I hope you get lucky and some year you can let us know how it all works, after your court case is over and you've argued with all your expertise.

Len holds a class on Mass. gun laws so it would be wise to listen to him. As has been said once it can fire a shot it is supposed to be FA-10.

Len holds a class on Mass. gun laws so it would be wise to listen to him. As has been said once it can fire a shot it is supposed to be FA-10.

Ignore him. He made it to my "ignore list" . . . a very exclusive list with only 1 or 2 other people on it. It's not worth the energy trying to educate know-it-alls.

Back
Top Bottom