• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you recommend a .22lr pistol?

Obviously just looking to plink around at the range. I’ve shot both the mkiii and sr22 and they didnt really do it for me. I was going to get the M&p 22 compact until... I checked the mass roster. I was hoping to find a used one in the classifieds but I haven’t seen one yet. Ive also seen the Sig mosquito but I havent come across a lot of info online about it. I just want a .22 that feels and looks like a standard compact/full size pistol.

Last edited:
Browning Buckmark Hunter. Mine is reliable, has chewed through several different ammo products, and keeps on ticking.

Obviously just looking to plinck around at the range. I’ve shot both the mkiii and sr22 and they didnt really do it for me. I was going to get the M&p 22 compact until... I checked the mass roster. I was hoping to find a used one in the classifieds but I haven’t seen one yet. Ive also seen the Sig mosquito but I havent come across a lot of info online about it. I just want a .22 that feels and looks like a standard compact/full size pistol.
What put you off with the ruger, I find most semi 22lr to feel about the same.
All said my SW 41 is my favorite 2nd is 22lr conversion on the 1911.
Have the Browning or Walther 22lr 1911s made the roster?

22lr revolvers are a hoot. If you’re in mass, not sure if the cheap ones are available for you?? My ‘made in mass’ h&r 929 is a favorite of anyone that tries it out. Can’t feed that 9 shot revolver fast enough!

Obviously just looking to plinck around at the range. I’ve shot both the mkiii and sr22 and they didnt really do it for me. I was going to get the M&p 22 compact until... I checked the mass roster. I was hoping to find a used one in the classifieds but I haven’t seen one yet. Ive also seen the Sig mosquito but I havent come across a lot of info online about it. I just want a .22 that feels and looks like a standard compact/full size pistol.
My first pistol was a SR22 from Dad when he past. It's special to me, but I seldom use it, good for training weak hand.
Have you tried something beyond 22?

What put you off with the ruger, I find most semi 22lr to feel about the same.
All said my SW 41 is my favorite 2nd is 22lr conversion on the 1911.
Have the Browning or Walther 22lr 1911s made the roster?
I didnt really like how it felt in my hand.

My first pistol was a SR22 from Dad when he past. It's special to me, but I seldom use it, good for training weak hand.
Have you tried something beyond 22?
Yes I’ve shot a bunch of different pistol calibers. I have a g19 and p365. I want something that resembles them for practice. I guess maybe a conversion for the g19?

If you want a real pistol feel with none of the recoil and surprisingly good accuracy, check out the s&w 380 ez. It’s a semi auto with the recoil of a 22, basically. I bought one for my wife but I use it more than she does. Only drawback is 380 is not as cheap as 22 or the bulk 9mm I buy.

Ruger Single 10, everyone that shoots it says how much fun it is.
Open loading gate, insert round, turn cylinder amd repeat till the cylinder is full.
Close loading gate, cock hammer, line up sights and squeze the trigger. Remember to smile!
When you've fired all ten rounds, open loading/unloading gate and line up the ejector lever and eject said round, rotate cylinder and repeat till the cylinder is empty.
Repeat loading sequence and enjoy once more!

It is a pistol from simpler times.
Picking it up reminds you of when the west was full of gunfighters!

This is a great little 22 pistol. I have one and its basically a scaled down 1911. Very fun shooter.

Ruger Single 10, everyone that shoots it says how much fun it is.
Open loading gate, insert round, turn cylinder amd repeat till the cylinder is full.
Close loading gate, cock hammer, line up sights and squeze the trigger. Remember to smile!
When you've fired all ten rounds, open loading/unloading gate and line up the ejector lever and eject said round, rotate cylinder and repeat till the cylinder is empty.
Repeat loading sequence and enjoy once more!

It is a pistol from simpler times.
Picking it up reminds you of when the west was full of gunfighters!
The single 10 goes to the range almost every trip. In addition to your list of "plusses" I'll add that it is simple as hell to clean. As a small game hunter it also makes a great tool for putting down small game when necessary.....in an old leather flap over holster it's very handy for that role.

with all the water under my shooting bridge, my advice would be either a ruger mk IV or single six (or ten). seriously, can't go wrong with either. and you'll enjoy the pin take down on the IV's rather than the old lever system on the previous models come cleaning time.

Look for a S & W K-22 Masterpiece, I see them pop up at gun shows. With a 6" barrel the weight is 38oz which will give some heft in your hand. Mine is factory equipped with target hammer and trigger with a red POST! and white outline rear. With good 22lr shells and a solid rest I have shot 1-3/4'" groups with this gun at 50 yds. I also have a few Bullseye trophies with it. This gun was made when S&W made the best 22LR handguns in the world. It is a great companion to my S&W Model 19-3.

I own and use revolvers, autos and conversion kits. In this case, I think a conversion kit will serve you best. Though you can buy an inexpensive .22 handgun, if you want something just like your Glock 19, get an Advantage Arms conversion kit. My son has one for his Glock 17 and loves it.

Yes I’ve shot a bunch of different pistol calibers. I have a g19 and p365. I want something that resembles them for practice. I guess maybe a conversion for the g19?
I've got a PPQ 22, and it's clone of my PPQ 9mm. Not the easiest to find in ma but they make a great pairing.

I like my SR22 but it is very fussy about what ammo it likes. I have found that it really just works right with premium ammo.

My friends sr22 is the same way. When he first got it we couldn’t go through a mag without a malfunction. Since then hes bought better ammo and it seems a lot better now. I chalked it up to ammo and not the gun but you comment seems to be right that its fussy with ammo.

22lr revolvers are a hoot. If you’re in mass, not sure if the cheap ones are available for you?? My ‘made in mass’ h&r 929 is a favorite of anyone that tries it out. Can’t feed that 9 shot revolver fast enough!
I agree. My S&W model 17 K-22 Masterpiece is absolutely beautiful and insanely accurate.

A great .22 target gun is the High Standard Citation.

Great quality and a tach driver.

Ned to search for them as they have not been made in tears.

I didnt really like how it felt in my hand.
yeah for the most part I think they all feel the same .
I have smaller hands and actually like a wider grip.
What you should do is find a local club that has 22lr shoots/matches and ask around and handle other pistols with different grip options.
I have a MKIII hunter. I like it and nothing really wrong with it other than the thin grip. i have "target" grips on the SW 41 also have slightly wider grips on 1911

Browning Buckmark is comparable to a Ruger Mark III or IV. I've got a couple of them and really like them for plates and plinking.

S&W 617 revolver is a 10-shot .22, that's a lot of fun to shoot. If however OP is looking for a semi...

Sig Mosquito are hit or miss. Lots of horror stories abound. My wife has one and it runs fine - but we had to find the right ammo for it. I think it's a neat gun simply because it's a full size handgun, chambered in .22.

As someone else mentioned, a conversion kit for a glock is an option. I've got one on a Poly80 frame and like every other .22, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Plus it mimics the form factor of my G17 quite well.

Based on your preferences, you should investigate the conversion kits. My usual recommendation is the Ruger MK IV or MK IV 22/45. The Ruger Mark Series pistols are much better guns than the SR22 or any of the other plastic competitors. And for practicing shooting fundamentals, the .22 does not need to feel like a service pistol, but it does need to be full sized, reliable, and accurate.

However, since you prefer a pistol that really feels like your service pistol, the conversion kit is the best way to fill that need. The good conversion kits work well, and you get a pistol that sits in your hand exactly like your service pistol, instead of just "sort of" like it. I have not tested conversion kits enough to give a specific recommendation, but @gerrycaruso has offered one recommendation in post #20.

Browning Buckmark is comparable to a Ruger Mark III or IV. I've got a couple of them and really like them for plates and plinking.

S&W 617 revolver is a 10-shot .22, that's a lot of fun to shoot. If however OP is looking for a semi...

Sig Mosquito are hit or miss. Lots of horror stories abound. My wife has one and it runs fine - but we had to find the right ammo for it. I think it's a neat gun simply because it's a full size handgun, chambered in .22.

As someone else mentioned, a conversion kit for a glock is an option. I've got one on a Poly80 frame and like every other .22, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Plus it mimics the form factor of my G17 quite well.

I like my Ruger sp101 in .22

Accurate and not picky on ammo. That was an asset when .22 was in short supply.

As others have said, older Smith and Wesson .22LR revolvers including the K22 and Model 17's are awesome. Newer stainless steel Model 617's are built like little tanks, replicate the weight and feel of a full sized revolver and offer a 10 round capacity. None are going to be cheap and they will all give you extraction problems when the cylinders get hot and dirty. On the bright side... you don't have to bend over to pick up your expended cases with a revolver.

I didn't really catch if you were looking for a bottom feeder exclusively or not. I must have 8 .22's in the safe. The semi's include a Walther PPK/S (a useless .22 but a great conversation starter), 2 Ruger Mk IV (a Hunter and a Standard), a Browning Buck Mark, and S&W Model 41. The 41 is scarey accurate. The Buck Mark shoots almost as accurately as the 41 but needs to be kept very clean or it becomes a FTF Queen. If I had to choose just one semi as a plinker it would be the Ruger Mk IV Standard. Just one revolver would be a 617.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom