• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you live off of ramen noodles?

If the last thing on the earth was you and a tractor trailer full of ramen noodles how long would you survive? I know they pretty much have no nutritional value really but if its all that was left could you survive on it?

You would be in pretty rough shape after a few months. I'd give it 6-12 months before the lack vitamins and minerals kills you.

EDIT: Add a multi vitamin and I would agree with years and years.

Last edited:
IDK about years but definitely for month. that's what i ate for 3 or 5 month in 2002 when i was out of the college and looking for a job.
I also ate hot dogs for $4 per 3 pound package. and chick peas $4 per case of 12 cans.
those were the days.... didn't even loose any weight [smile]

Last edited:
If the last thing on the earth was you and a tractor trailer full of ramen noodles how long would you survive? I know they pretty much have no nutritional value really but if its all that was left could you survive on it?

Years and Years

Assuming I had water and materials for a heat source? Yup.

If I also had peanut M&M's, I'd be content.

Last edited:
I think vitamin water and ramen with a big bag of shelled peanuts I could last awhile . at least between finding animals and male humans for meat..... I'll save on eating the women to rebuild .

I think vitamin water and ramen with a big bag of shelled peanuts I could last awhile . at least between finding animals and male humans for meat..... I'll save on eating the women to rebuild .

You could smoke the peanut shells / specifically the little papery pieces.

nutritional information: ramen noodles

Now all you need to know is how many fit in the trailer.

There are better options IMHO.

I know a woman who lived on this for 4 years. You'd be good...YMMV

90 days if you could stand it that long. Then you get scurvy and die a horrible death. (Unless you add a multivitamin like the rest have said.)
You will possibly also get what is called appetite fatigue. (eating the same thing over and over) This will over ride your hunger and you'll slowly starve to death as your body will throw up any more of the same item you eat. (I've also heard that once you get to this point, the body will actually refuse any normal foods it used to take in like say...a hamburger, so it's the point of no return)
You don't hear about it a lot in good old USA, but if you do any long term food storage, you know you can't just store 5 tons of rice and you'll be fine. Store what you eat and eat what you store.

Realistically you would need water, Most water contains some minerals. You can get some vitamins naturally. You will live longer than you will most likely want to.

As established by many college students; you can survive 4 to 6 or more years depending on how long it takes you to get through 4 years of college.

Lol, Derek they'll be nothing but empty casings by the time you get here! On a realistic note though what's the best way to start storing food?

Lol, Derek they'll be nothing but empty casings by the time you get here! On a realistic note though what's the best way to start storing food?

On a budget? Every time you go to the grocery store, buy a few extra cans of something you like that's shelf stable. Really - every time. Put dates on the lid with a Sharpie indicating when the can was purchased so that you know what to eat first. A FIFO rotation will maximize your shelf life. Also put aside some water - you'll want some water up front (you decide on how long you want to set aside for) and a system to use for collecting and cleaning an external source of water when you run out. This is just as - if not more important than - food supplies.

When you get more involved, you can look at bulk purchases of processable or ready to eat foods, methods for storing and handling it, etc. But the best place to start is the simplest; extra canned goods.

I used to eat ramen but cant stand the stuff now. Of course ill eat the good stuff, fresh not the store packaged crap.

Sent from my SGH-T859 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom