• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you legally walk down a street in MA with an unloaded rifle?

I am wondering this since I have to park then take a short walk down a street to a heavily wooded area where there are some high tension lines then I think after that is many many acres of a reserve for hunting.....but right now I was just interested in some target shooting.

It is unlawful to carry an uncased long gun on a public way, unless one is lawfully engaged in hunting (or a few other selected exemptions):

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12d

As for target shooting....that's gonna be a whole new kettle of fish. There are few locations in Mass that one can target shoot that are "public".

A general location will get you better info.

- - - Updated - - -

Then I assume locked as well?

locking is irrelevant to transport of a non-large capacity long gun.

When im coyote hunting i walk down my street with my rifle all the time.

Ive been passed by state troopers in several occasions and they just kept going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When im coyote hunting i walk down my street with my rifle all the time.

Ive been passed by state troopers in several occasions and they just kept going

I think I need to get a hunting permit. I been looking to get the basic hunting class do gun clubs have these now or is it just the state that has them?

Check out getting the class online from the texas dfw website. Id heard that you can take online pay a small fee and get the card

These courses are universal so it doesnt matter what state u take it from

Check out getting the class online from the texas dfw website. Id heard that you can take online pay a small fee and get the card

These courses are universal so it doesnt matter what state u take it from

texashuntered.com $15 online completely. wife took it and they shipped the certificate within a week or so. definitely beats waiting for an opening at a Mass class or going sixteen thousand week nights for 13 minutes a class.

texashuntered.com $15 online completely. wife took it and they shipped the certificate within a week or so. definitely beats waiting for an opening at a Mass class or going sixteen thousand week nights for 13 minutes a class.

LOL that sixteen thousand week night comment was great!

I am going to take it online! Man I hope this is valid, $15 dollar gamble here we go!

mass wildlife website has class listings, i just signed up for one in barre, ma. you can also be put on their e-mail list for classes opening

Thanks, I was looking at them. I am in South Coast area and was looking at the one in Bourne. But, I think I will try the on line class mentioned above. I will prepare now for the 2015 season.

Remember, no target shooting on Sunday unless you are at a gun club/range.
I think you mean to say: "Target shooting on Sunday except on one’s own property or on a recognized trap, skeet, or rifle range."

But as far as I can tell "recognized" has no legal definition in MA in this context.

I shoot in my backyard mostly on Sundays.

OK so no Sunday's (except range or private property) but is it OK to target shoot in the woods far enough away from any dwellings on Monday-Saturday? Anyone know what mass law says about target shooting?

Ok, so why we're talking about walking down the street with rifle, I have a related question.

I'd like to try coyote hunting and plan on hunting an area right down the street from my house. It's easily walking distance but I'd have to walk in front of about 7-8 houses plus whatever cars drive by. I'll be coyote hunting with my AR and would prefer to not be that " guy with a machine gun" on the evening news.

What would you guys do?

Just say **** it and carry it?
Break it down into lower and upper and try to hide as much as it as possible?
Buy a bag that fits it that I can easily carry throughout the hunt?

Thought??

Ok, so why we're talking about walking down the street with rifle, I have a related question.

I'd like to try coyote hunting and plan on hunting an area right down the street from my house. It's easily walking distance but I'd have to walk in front of about 7-8 houses plus whatever cars drive by. I'll be coyote hunting with my AR and would prefer to not be that " guy with a machine gun" on the evening news.

What would you guys do?

Thought??
Have it unloaded and head out. Harassing hunters is a unambiguous crime.

Just don't put the mag in until you are > 150' from a state or hard surfaced highway.

Hunting on dirt road is okay.

For the EPOs here current and retired... does a bike path (paved) count as a highway?

OK so no Sunday's (except range or private property) but is it OK to target shoot in the woods far enough away from any dwellings on Monday-Saturday? Anyone know what mass law says about target shooting?
My research shows nothing. So, because laws make things prohibited, its legal. Just respect the land owner when he tells you to scram otherwise you are trespassing.
And pick up after your self. No one likes a litter bug.

Have it unloaded and head out. Harassing hunters is a unambiguous crime.

Just don't put the mag in until you are > 150' from a state or hard surfaced highway.

Hunting on dirt road is okay.

For the EPOs here current and retired... does a bike path (paved) count as a highway?

I am not an EPO, but I asked one at a Hunter Ed course I was helping at, "What constitutes a 'hard-surfaced road'?"

"If it's hard enough to hurt your head when I throw you down on it, it's hard surfaced. I'd say that "It's a DIRT road" isn't going to fly with most EPOs.

I am not an EPO, but I asked one at a Hunter Ed course I was helping at, "What constitutes a 'hard-surfaced road'?"

"If it's hard enough to hurt your head when I throw you down on it, it's hard surfaced. I'd say that "It's a DIRT road" isn't going to fly with most EPOs.
Wow. Thanks for the details.

That is pretty sad though. Any fall in the woods on my own paths will hurt your head. I guess we live in the liberal interpretation of mASS.

What would you guys do?

Thought??

I personally would not want my neighbors to see this unless they were all AR owners themselves. I would be wary doing this for many reasons. Separating it into two and wrap it up or use a soft case is what I would do until I was the safe legal distance away from the road and homes.

True but in OP it seemed clear that he didn't own the land. Of course the state has to use weasel words like recognized in their rules. Wouldn't want them to be too clear cut...
I think you mean to say: "Target shooting on Sunday except on one’s own property or on a recognized trap, skeet, or rifle range."But as far as I can tell "recognized" has no legal definition in MA in this context. I shoot in my backyard mostly on Sundays.

AFAIK, the term "Recognized" does not appear in the MGLs ( that I could find), only on the MassWildlife e-regulations.

There is no State statute or regulation AFAIK that determines what constitutes a "range".

Ask the guy in Northborough.

See this: http://www.malawforum.com/content/neighbor-shooting-firearms-close-our-property-0

Note the sure that the responder has that there MUST be some sort of governmental regulation......

Not going to reply to all the posts but here are some random answers.

I would get a cheap camo case and hide it behind a tree once you get to your hunting area.

Many of the stocked areas are lined with dirt roads, that epo was full of shit.

I remember reading somewhere that a paved bikepath was considered a hard surfaced road, but that may have been at a particular wma, not statewide. I am thinking that may have been on signs at Myles Standish in Plymouth.

Target shooting is legal, but there are town by town restrictions. My town posts signage on all conservation land that hunting is legal on that land. The town specifically prohibits target shooting on town land though. They also posted signs pointing out the hunter harassment laws. Overall, it is a pretty gun/hunter friendly town, especially considering it is on Cape Cod.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom