• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you identify these rounds?

I found these rounds and I am unsure as to what they are. I believe the three in the center are .50bmg. However, I do not know what the large black one is...or the small one. I am also curious as to what the painted tips indicate.

bmg.jpg

I'll give it a try........The Black round is used for an Eastern Bloc gun called a DSHK or dishka for slang talk. It basically was the Eastern Bloc's answer to the 50 cal MA Deuce and the projectile is still 12.7mm (same as the 50BMG) but a slightly larger case.

The 3 in the middle are 50BMG

The short round is also 50 caliber. What those were used for were to sight in the 106 recoiless rifle. There was a 50 cal barrel mounted to the top of the tube and those rounds were called spotter/tracer rounds which when fired would trace with white smoke and a big puff of smoke when it hit the intended target.
The trajectory of the short 50 cal. was the same as the 106 round so the gunner was not wasting the big shells he could aim with the spotters and the round would go there.

The short 50 usually had a yellow/red tip with an opening at the nose, it was a primer to make it trace white.

The colors on the projo's are not colors I'm familiar with, different countries used different colors, those are not US colors.
Maybe someone got silly with nail polish?
US 50 cals can be id'd with the colors like Black tip is AP Blue is incendeary (sp) Red is tracer, Maroon is long distance tracer, Silver and Green is Raufouss, Silver id API, Silver and red is APIT etc.....
There are soooo many variants that are out there like SLAP (Sabot Light Armor Piercing) rounds and Flechette rounds that I cannot (read will not) list them all.

The yellow tipped round is ball from teh Dominican Republican. A bunch came in a few years ago. I don;t know why it has yellow coding, unless it was to distinguish it from the old ball that had a mild steel core.

Back
Top Bottom