Can you carry on a temporary permit?

aklover

Banned
I'm pretty much sure you can, but the officer who did my paperwork said I had to wait until I got the state permit. Is this true? Wasn't really a big deal as I got the state permit a few days later, but my wife is filing her paperwork this Thursday...and I was still wondering about this.

Rather difficult to say, since there's absolutely no hint as to what state you might be in. (Probably not MA, since we don't have temporary resident permits, nor VT, since they don't bother with permits.) Try providing more information for a useful response.

Ken

Dang it, you're right. I forgot to say I'm in CT, although I'd figure most people would "default" to CT since this is a specific sub-forum for CT laws, as the title suggests (pretty big "hint").

Last edited:
Dang it, you're right. I forgot to say I'm in CT, although I'd figure most people would "default" to CT since this is a specific sub-forum for CT laws, as the title suggests (pretty big "hint").

Unless the law has changed since I left a little over 3 years ago, you are able to carry on your temporary permit. It's only valid for 30 days though, which is why it's recommended you take an hour out of your day and head on over to the DPS and get your actual permit ASAP. That's all it takes...Head to the DPS, hand them your temporary permit, a check, your license for verification, they tell you to smile, and 2 minutes later you have your permit.

Unless the law has changed since I left a little over 3 years ago, you are able to carry on your temporary permit. It's only valid for 30 days though, which is why it's recommended you take an hour out of your day and head on over to the DPS and get your actual permit ASAP. That's all it takes...Head to the DPS, hand them your temporary permit, a check, your license for verification, they tell you to smile, and 2 minutes later you have your permit.

Actually, it's good for 60 days. 30 days is way too short seeing as how 3 out of the 5 places to get the permanent permit are only open for that service 2 days out of the month. And those 3 places are only open during work hours.

Only the Bridgeport barracks does it on Saturdays and they do offer it until 7 pm on Thursdays. The DPS office in Middletown does it M-F, 8:30 - 4:15...again during work hours. [angry]

You cannot carry a handgun on a CT temporary license. Here's a link to a summary of CT gun laws that you may find helpful.

Yes, you can carry on a temporary permit according to my town's PD, the SLFU and the BFPE. What good is a temporary license that you can exercise the privilege? That's like saying you can't drive or fly on a temporary license until you get the "real one". Nothing in your law link says otherwise. Please provide an actual legal link (not an interpretation) stating you can't carry on a temporary permit, even if your town "says" you can't.

Well from what I was told . And its funny this comes up because we were talking about .. A temp. permit gives you the ok to carry but not purchase. So if someone let you take their gun to the range and shoot it . Its ok . Whatever you do with that handgun UNLAWFULLY is also going to be on the person who gave it to you. This is coming from 2 gun shop owners and one officer. So not sure who is right and who is wrong. lol

Ch. 529 Sec 29-35 states that you can carry a pistol or revolver with "a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28". Sec 29-28(b) controls both temporary state permits and permanent state permits. Therefore, you can carry under a temporary permit. Sale is controlled by Sec 29-33, and the wording there is that you need "a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28". Again, Sec 29-28(b) controls both temporary and permanent permits, so this supports the further notion that you can also purchase with a temporary permit.

After receiving some bad info from a supposedly knowledgeable CT gun law source, and basing the above post upon that erroneous info, I went directly to the CT DPS for clarification of several issues. Here's one of the replies I received. By the way, the Sgt. is an attorney:

A temporary permit allows a person to carry but they cannot purchase.

Sergeant Douglas A. Hall
Connecticut State Police
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457

A temporary permit allows a person to carry but they cannot purchase.

Ok, so he's got enough credentials to believe him, but under what law is he claiming you cannot purchase on a temporary permit? I don't see this supported anywhere in the statutes (though it's quite possible I've just missed it, as I'm not as up on CT law as MA law).

I have not LOOKED for exact wording in the law, BUT I believe that in practice you are not allowed to carry OR purchase with your temp permit.

Your temporary permit is just paperwork to take to the Dep of Public Saftey. It states that you are eligible and after you get it you just walk in to the DOPS and walk out with permit in hand

The problem with trying to interpret CT gun laws is that they are out dated and current Practice does not always follow the word of the law.

ROBMCD has a good source. The thing is if you just got your temp permit, and do not own a gun, you don't have anything to carry anyway.

I have not LOOKED for exact wording in the law, BUT I believe that in practice you are not allowed to carry OR purchase with your temp permit.

Your temporary permit is just paperwork to take to the Dep of Public Saftey. It states that you are eligible and after you get it you just walk in to the DOPS and walk out with permit in hand

The problem with trying to interpret CT gun laws is that they are out dated and current Practice does not always follow the word of the law.

ROBMCD has a good source. The thing is if you just got your temp permit, and do not own a gun, you don't have anything to carry anyway.

According to Sgt. Hall, you can carry on a temporary permit. Obviously you would have to borrow a handgun or use one that you previously purchased on an elligibility certificate.

I once asked if using another peson's lawfully owned handgun was permissible. Here's the response I received:

It is legal to lend a pistol to another permit holder. Obviously each case would be fact specific as to if a transfer took place that would change ownership (requiring transfer paperwork).

Sergeant Douglas A. Hall
Connecticut State Police
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457

You certainly can carry on a temporary state permit. You could have handguns from years ago, let your permit lapse, go through the permit process, and start carrying again when you get the temporary state permit. You could also have handguns from years ago when you did not need a permit to purchase but only a waiting period, or you may have just moved into the state and legally moved your handguns into your new house.

They used to issue town permits and then you took the town permit to the state police to get your state permit. I think you could only carry in your town on a town permit but I may be remembering that wrong.

Now you get a temporary state permit through your local town. All the fingerprints and checks are done by the state police and FBI prior to the temp license being sent back to your town.

http://search.cga.state.ct.us/surs/Chap529.htm#Sec29-28.htm
It's called a "Temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver", not a "Temporary state permit to get a state permit" :)

As far as purchasing, the statutes specify:
(b) On and after October 1, 1995, no person may purchase or receive any pistol or revolver unless such person holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28
http://search.cga.state.ct.us/surs/Chap529.htm#Sec29-33.htm

They are very specific with the wording Temporary in the permit to carry statute and the purchase statute just states "permit to carry..." and not "temporary permit to carry..."

Last edited:
I have here in my hands a fresh from the police department in Meriden a "Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". It states "This certifies that the person described below is hereby licensed to carry pistols and revolvers within the state of Connecticut for a period of sixty (60) days from the date of issuance."

I think this settles the matter, no?

They are very specific with the wording Temporary in the permit to carry statute and the purchase statute just states "permit to carry..." and not "temporary permit to carry..."

I'm not buying that one. First, the carry statute, 29-35, uses the same "permit to carry" not "temporary permit to carry" wording, so by your argument you couldn't carry on a temporary permit either. Second, in 29-28, neither permit is called simply a "permit to carry". One is called a "temporary state permit to carry" and one is called a "state permit to carry". So if you are trying to say that the wording has to exactly match the wording in 29-33, then neither permit would allow you to purchase a pistol. This interpretation is, of course, ridiculous.

You seem to be trying to twist the statutes into submission. Does anybody have any actual case law that supports Sgt. Hall's statement?

Ya i went thru this recently also ..

From what I was told is that the permit from your local PD is good to carry . not to buy .. someone can lend you a handgun . What you do with it is now all fallen on that person. That person can have their license pulled . NRA instructor told me that one. has a guy and his wife at their club. She has license but not him. He takes her guns. Goes to the range. thats a felony from what i was told if caught..

The problem is when you go to buy. While under the law you "technically" could buy w/a temp permit, you have no SPFLU license # yet as you do not have a full permit, you need this # to legally transfer a gun into your possession. It's a catch 22 type situation.

Also that link that was posted to gun law summaries for CT is out of date. the new law books are 2009, previous ones (IE 1-2 years ago) were form 2007. I would suggest you like at sections 53, 53a, and 29 of the CT GS for information regarding purchasing, licensing, possession, etc... of firearms. Don't ask the SP, they don't give you the correct answers in alot of cases. I called and asked about my legally purchased, POST AWB AR-15 and was told it was illegal. Well, first of all, if that was the case why was I not only able to buy it from a local gun store, but why did the SP sales line give them a confirmation #?; 2, it does not meet the criteria for an AW under the CT GS.

You have to look for you own answers in this state. If you are unsure, contact a criminal attourney and get their advice.

Kind of a moot point because you can't purchase a gun with a Temp. Permit.

Not necessarily. There are a whole bunch of hypotheticals where someone would find such a permit useful. People that move into CT, etc, etc....

-Mike

Temp permit is only good for turning it into a "real" permit with the State. You can't buy on a temp permit because there s no way to verify that the permit is valid, because the State has no info on you yet. The CSP is the point of contact for the NCIS check; so if they don't know ya, no authorization # to you!!

Just go get your official permit. Good lord ya can't wait a day..... I also love the responses. I for one would READ the ACTUAL law and go by what it says not what you or somebody THINKS it says. Unless yoy want to be the posterboy for not doing it by the book.. IMHO

You guys want an example of bad information? Carry openly in a major city and see what happens LOL. You will likely be arrested while there is NO concealed carry law on the books ... but that's a topic for another thread LOL ...

At any rate, as I said before, under the law you can purchase, but also by policy you can't. If a gun store cannot give a control # for your transaction, you cannot take possesion. As such you cannot buy a gun. Not to mention, you would be VERY hard pressed to find a gun store which would sell to you on a temp permit.

You commented on a 12 year old thread to ask about a guy that corrected someone that hasn’t posted in 3 years ?
And yes is it ever to late to pass along good info ? Perhaps I happen to know and the next person that searches “can I carry on a temp permit in CT” now has the right answer.

Back
Top Bottom