• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you buy mass compliant ak47s in NH?

Been looking for a wasr 10 with a reasonable price tag for a while now. Can one be purchased in NH (assuming it is MA compliant)? Will the shops neuter a free-state one for me?

I look forward to the response.

Some shops like State Line in Mason will modify (for a fee) any guns that would not be legal in MA. For example a WASR10 can have the compensator pinned and be equipped with a preban mag and you would MA legal.

Why? Mass compliance only applies within Mass....
Not so for an FFL selling a long gun over the counter to a MA resident. The rules are pretty clear: An FFL selling a long arm to a resident of another state can do so only if the FFL complies in the sale with all the laws of the FFL's state AND the buyer's state - that includes a state AWB. I.e., they simply can't legally sell him a rifle he couldn't get from an FFL in his home state.

MA resident...would have to have it sent to an FFL for neutering. That would be OK, I think MFL just doesn't want to deal with doing that.

I didn't actually check to see if it was one of the 'good' Maadis or not, I just always see it there and want it really bad.

I really need another AK, dammit.

There is some (mostly unenforced) BS in US code pertaining to FFLs..... says that any FFL can't sell you a gun that isn't legal to own within your state of residence. In that particular case MFL is probably being excessively cautious. I think that particular gun is actually preban and MA importable.

-Mike

It doesn't matter where you are a resident. If it is bought in another state, only that state's laws apply. Mass compliance only applies within the Mass borders.

It doesn't matter where you are a resident. If it is bought in another state, only that state's laws apply. Mass compliance only applies within the Mass borders.

You don't get it. There is a piece of US code (federal law) that attempts to force other-state compliance by dealers. Some remote FFLs obey it, others don't. It's rarely enforced, but it is a felony for the dealer, though, if they're caught disobeying it. I think if a serious court challenge was mounted against it that it would probably fail (because that particular law violates a bunch of commonly accepted legal principles) but nobody is going to bother for what is mostly a corner case.

Here's a simpler example. Go to NH as an MA resident and try buying a rifle or shotgun in NH from an FFL without an MA LTC or an FID at least. You can't do it. You will say "Well isn't the FID and LTC only required in MA? " Strictly speaking it is, but that piece of US code applies and the dealers will ask for an MA license.

Jdubois and I had a huge thread about this a few years ago. I wish I could find it and it would lay it all out.

ETA: When it comes to non-FFL stuff, you are definitely right. For example I can build an "Evil" AK or an "Evil" AR and leave
it in NH, with whatever evil features I want, and that is 100% legal. I just can't buy the gun configured that way from an FFL dealer. (or well, at least, he's not supposed to sell it that way to me!)

-Mike

Last edited:

No, again, NO.

For the transfer of a long arm by an FFL to a resident of another state -- the sale, delivery, and receipt must fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both the FFL holder's state of operation and the transferee's state of residence. That's federal law -- 18 USC sec 922(b)(3).

Stateline Guns Ammo and Archery in Plaistow had a few WASRs for sale (although i didn't think the price was fair @ $600) but they offered to neuter the rifle to make it MA compliant if i wanted to purchase. instead, i bought/built a Saiga...

so if i own a house in NH but reside in CT, i cant go to NH and buy a 7.62 AK b/c i reside in CT?

so if i own a house in NH but reside in CT, i cant go to NH and buy a 7.62 AK b/c i reside in CT?

If you claim you are a CT resident, then they would probably deny the sale. Depending on what your use of that house in NH is though, (is it a summer home?) you might be able to legitimately (at least by BATFE standards) claim residency in NH for some portion of the year.

-Mike

>>If you claim you are a CT resident, then they would probably deny the sale<<

Claim all you want, but your driver's license is the final determining factor.

>>If you claim you are a CT resident, then they would probably deny the sale<<

Claim all you want, but your driver's license is the final determining factor.

Depends on the shop and what they use for proof of residency. IIRC several forms of ID are acceptable.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom