• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you apply for an LTC early when have FID

May take me longer than looking it up, as haven't thought of it. If you have a current FID can you apply for an LTC before the FID expires?

Took a friend that just has an FID in Quincy shooting today to sight in shotgun and let him shoot various handguns. He may have the interest in more than an FID and buying more than a shotgun.

His FID expires in 2012. Can he apply for an LTC before the expiration??

Thanks.

Dana

Fox5, thanks. I forgot about that.

I remember when FID's stopped being permanent and my town wanted me to have just the LTC and drop the FID when I renewed my LTC.

Dana

Right, in my case after 1998 when my LTC came up for renewal Mansfield would not give out an FID as well.

I will let him know his options. He'll also have to check in how much Quincy has improved to date with a new mayor and police chief.

Dana

Right, in my case after 1998 when my LTC came up for renewal Mansfield would not give out an FID as well.

I will let him know his options. He'll also have to check in how much Quincy has improved to date with a new mayor and police chief.

Dana

hey, you get my PM?

Well, there's no legal obstacle to giving out both. If you have an LTC, and you apply for and FID, they HAVE to give it to you.

Why would I want an FID if I already had an LTC? I can just see the police rolling their eyes on that one. Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Because an LTC can be revoked for just about any reason, while an FID cannot. Thus, if you were ever in a position where suitability kills your LTC, they cannot legally take some of your firearms.

Because an LTC can be revoked for just about any reason, while an FID cannot. Thus, if you were ever in a position where suitability kills your LTC, they cannot legally take some of your firearms.

Somehow, I doubt this very much.

Somehow, I doubt this very much.

Why's that? FID cannot be revoked unless you have an automatic disqualifer. The chief pulling your license because you printed and someone freaked out is not a disqualifier. If they tried to take your non large capacity long guns after revoking an LTC and you still had your FID, then you would easily beat them down in court.

Why's that? FID cannot be revoked unless you have an automatic disqualifer. The chief pulling your license because you printed and someone freaked out is not a disqualifier. If they tried to take your non large capacity long guns after revoking an LTC and you still had your FID, then you would easily beat them down in court.

yup. with suitability, the chief can decide he doesnt like that your grass isnt cut and decide to take your LTC away. (Not likely but Im making a point here).

Now, with an FID, he doesnt have that discretionary power, so he cannot take your FID. He might be able to take your LTC away and your guns, but he cannot touch your rifles, shotguns and ammunition. As vellnueve said, this would probably aid you in beating the COP in court when you sued him for taking away your LTC for no reason.

For an FID to be taken away, there needs to be a disqualifier (whether it is a criminal background that makes you persona non grata to the firearms world or what) but it isnt an arbitrary "hey, he doesnt have a clean driveway, Im taking a permit" type of bullcrap.

You're wrong, because you're assuming that whatever pulls the LTC is also a federal disqualifer. We have specifically excluded that from being the case in this dicussion.

You're wrong, because you're assuming that whatever pulls the LTC is also a federal disqualifer. We have specifically excluded that from being the case in this dicussion.

I was unaware of this or any "exclusion" in this discussion. I was just really in disbelief that someone would apply for and be given an FID after they already had a LTC. I am not really arguing any point, but rather just looking for information. Thanks, I guess I'm done now.

Last edited:
I was unaware of this "exclusion" in this discussion. I was just really in disbelief that someone would apply for and be given an FID after they already had a LTC.

IIRC, there are more than a few on this forum who had or still have both (although I would guess that the number has dropped drastically since the price went up to $100)

Dana, I live in Norton, and I have BOTH an FID and a LTC. FID is SHALL ISSUE, and your local police MUST issue if you qualify and apply. You're paying an extra $100 for it, and there are legitimate reasons to have one. If only to make meeting with your licensing officer more often.

I have had both for over 25 years, and plan to continue to keep my FID.

One caution, since so few of us do this these days, when you apply for your LTC, the computer system MAY canel your FID, and vice versa. Once when I renewed my FID, the computer took away my LTC. We (The police department and I) did not even realize it until three years later when I went to renew my LTC and the COP told me I had no LTC.

We fixed that all up, and now I just make sure I mention it to the officer imputting the info into the computer, so he can check the right boxes.

Right, thanks. I started the thread to see if a friend that has an FID could get an LTC or wait for the FID to renew.

I used to have an FID and LTC. When the LTC renewed after 1998 laws Mansfield said I didn't need to keep the FID, meaning they didn't want both out.

I didn't push it as I wanted the LTC renewal. I know there are benefits to having both but Mansfield didn't see it that way.

Also, Mansfield doesn't have face to face meetings except for when it is time to take the picture again.

Thanks again.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom