• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can u draw ur concealed carry in this case?

Hingham police: Woman robbed in bank parking lot Sunday
CODY SHEPARD
PUBLISHED: JUL 21, 2014, 8:04 AM
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2014, 8:04 AM

In background, Hingham officer Nicholas Smith assists Cohasset Police K9 officer Patrick Reardon and his partner K9 Erik, searching for the robbery suspect along Beal St. Sunday, July 20, 2014. - Cohasset police photo
HINGHAM — Police are looking for a man who they say robbed a woman in a bank parking lot Sunday afternoon.

Sgt. Steven Dearth said a man, who said he had a gun, approached a woman who was getting out of her car to make a business deposit at a Rockland Trust on Sgt. William B. Terry Drive around 1:25 p.m. Dearth said when the woman, an employee at a nearby Weymouth business, leaned back into her car to grab a deposit bag, the suspect told her to get back into the car.

Dearth said the suspect told the woman that he had a gun, but he did not show it. Sitting in the back seat, the suspect demanded the deposit bag, Dearth said. After the woman gave the suspect the bag, he fled on foot on south toward Beal Street on Sgt. William B. Terry Drive.

Dearth said several officers, with help from a Cohasset police officer and dog, searched the area, but did not locate the robbery suspect.

The suspect was described as having dark skin, possibly a Hispanic male, with an unknown accent. The man was wearing black jeans, a black sweatshirt and a black hat and had a black mask covering his mouth and nose.

The bank parking lot is at the rear of Lincoln Plaza and on the opposite corner of the Hingham Shipyard entrance on Route 3A. Dearth said if people saw anyone in the area around that time, they should contact Detective Philip Emmott at 781-749-1212, or leave an anonymous tip on the department's website.

Hingham police are investigating the robbery.

Would u be in the right to draw and possably fire ur weapon in this case... Where there is a threat of a weapon but none shown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right - yes, making someone else fear for their life is a valid use of deadly force.

Legally, Marcia will charge you with everything - bring it to the Grand Jury and 'omit' certain facts to make her case stronger. Then it gets sorted out at trial - but only after you have been destroyed emotionally & financially.

With that said, I would give chase, call 911 on my cell and provide updates as I go. If the guy stops and turns - well dead men tell no tales.

Someone not showing me a gun asks for a bag of money - someone else's money. No, I'm handing the bag over.

Maybe if the guy is showing a gun I would think differently.

If you don't see a gun I think it comes down to the size of the attacker and the size of the victim.

Although my defense in this case would be "you locked down a school because a parent mentioned a gun so I assumed talking about it was the same as seeing it".

Not a chance in hell I would give chase, that's asking for more trouble after the threat disappeared. But once I was approached a and the threat posed itself I would draw and go from there. If the guy cut loose and ran I would call the police and stay put.

Well. If he's threatening me with a gun, I hope he can get it out pretty fast.

Mugger ready?
Stand byyyyyyy....
BEEEEEP

Legally, yes .... but good luck when the involved party says "this crazy person pulled a gun", and the ATM tape shows what appears to be two people talking and one pulling a gun.

After several court appearances, scheduling delays, etc. you will finally be told "Look, it isn't right, but I got you a no jail time deal that will end this but make you a felon. I suggest you take it because the court hammers hard on people who turn down plea deals and are found guilty and prison is a very real possibility. On , by the way, if you want to take this to trial you'll need to add $15,000 to the retainer". Despite your initial assertion that you will never cop a plea to something you didn't do, you will then swallow hard, and take the deal. That's reality.

Your alternative is to let the party who says they have the gun make all decisions regarding your future, if you see your kids again, etc.

Sometimes there are no good choices.

Someone not showing me a gun asks for a bag of money - someone else's money. No, I'm handing the bag over.
And you do know who the #1 suspect is going to be? Like I said, no good choices.

When I worked for a chain restaurant, I sometimes had to go to the night drop box (inside a closed mall) with the manager. Chain policy was there had to be two witnesses to the money bag until it made it to the bank drop to make it harder for any one individual to pull the "I was robbed and cooperated as per corporate policy" scam.

Last edited:
Unless a gun turns towards you - just work on being a good witness. The state will pretty much punish you severely for anything else you do. Regardless if lawful and of the best intentions. The trouble isn't worth someone else's money in my opinion.

Last edited:
BS, you'd NOPE. [rofl]
oh-shi.gif

Im an owner of a small business... So in my case it would be my money... And i carry daily and wouldnt never drop a deposit without my carry. This situation i think is a little tough to decide considering the guy got in the backseat... But if was out of the car and someone tells me to get back in the car i think my first reaction would be to draw my weapon... Tho im 6'1 200 lbs and may be a bit more intimidating to rob than a small woman

Unless a gun turns towards you - just work on being a good witness. The state will pretty much punish you severely for anything else you do. Regardless if lawful and of the best intentions. The trouble isn't worth someone else's money in my opinion.
By the time a gun turns towards you, you will no longer have the choice to use yours.

How quick can you draw if you're already waiting for the gun to be pointed at you? If he already has you beat to the draw you're way behind.

Why would you get back in the car? Call the coward's bluff and make him pull his gun to force you back to the car. Then put two in his chest when he shows it ( if he even has one)

Or for a good laugh, ask if you can take a selfie with him because you've never been robbed before. The look of confusion should be enough for you to kick him in the nuts and get away.

- Todd

Someone else's money and no visible gun - I'd hand over the bag. Maybe I'd put one hand on my gun while at it but I wouldn't draw, not in this state. If he already has a gun on me... not sure if I'd try to draw too; I'd probably just give him the money bag.

My own money (ie I'm the business owner), f that guy, I'm drawing whether he has a gun or not. Hopefully he'd just get out of dodge at that point.

In reality, who knows what would happen.

This is also a perfect example of why you should lock your car doors.

Hingham police: Woman robbed in bank parking lot Sunday
CODY SHEPARD
PUBLISHED: JUL 21, 2014, 8:04 AM
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2014, 8:04 AM

In background, Hingham officer Nicholas Smith assists Cohasset Police K9 officer Patrick Reardon and his partner K9 Erik, searching for the robbery suspect along Beal St. Sunday, July 20, 2014. - Cohasset police photo
HINGHAM — Police are looking for a man who they say robbed a woman in a bank parking lot Sunday afternoon.

Sgt. Steven Dearth said a man, who said he had a gun, approached a woman who was getting out of her car to make a business deposit at a Rockland Trust on Sgt. William B. Terry Drive around 1:25 p.m. Dearth said when the woman, an employee at a nearby Weymouth business, leaned back into her car to grab a deposit bag, the suspect told her to get back into the car.

Dearth said the suspect told the woman that he had a gun, but he did not show it. Sitting in the back seat, the suspect demanded the deposit bag, Dearth said. After the woman gave the suspect the bag, he fled on foot on south toward Beal Street on Sgt. William B. Terry Drive.

Dearth said several officers, with help from a Cohasset police officer and dog, searched the area, but did not locate the robbery suspect.

The suspect was described as having dark skin, possibly a Hispanic male, with an unknown accent. The man was wearing black jeans, a black sweatshirt and a black hat and had a black mask covering his mouth and nose.

The bank parking lot is at the rear of Lincoln Plaza and on the opposite corner of the Hingham Shipyard entrance on Route 3A. Dearth said if people saw anyone in the area around that time, they should contact Detective Philip Emmott at 781-749-1212, or leave an anonymous tip on the department's website.

Hingham police are investigating the robbery.

Would u be in the right to draw and possably fire ur weapon in this case... Where there is a threat of a weapon but none shown?

Common sense says the threat of weapon is good enough as real. If someone says "I have a knife or gun" then I will assume they have one. I would do what it takes to survive.

I would do whatever was necessary to survive the situation.

This!

In this case the victim went unharmed so anyone saying draw made the wrong decision as her life wasnt REALLY in jeopardy as proved by the facts that played out. I am against hyptheticals and role play stories. If I ever had to use my gun defensively, I wouldnt want the attorney pulling up my post history showing all the hypotheticals where I said "kill him". The facts played out and she lived so lets call good for her and move on. If she was shot and killed that is another story and we can all circle jerk about how quick we would have shot the perp. Each case is different and we werent there so its all lame to monday morning quarterback.

Didn't you recently ask a similar question and we recommended that you read the book "The Law of Self Defense"?

You can use deadly force if you, or another innocent, is in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. Armed robbery, whether the gun is displayed or the robber just say she has a gun, is immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. Yes, the use of deadly force is justified.

- - - Updated - - -

Legally, Marcia will charge you with everything - bring it to the Grand Jury and 'omit' certain facts to make her case stronger. Then it gets sorted out at trial - but only after you have been destroyed emotionally & financially.

No, Marsha won't be involved at all.

The District Attorney may (or may not) decide to charge you. But the Attorney General's office won't be involved.

You don't have to wait until a gun is pointed at your or is discharged to be legally justified in using deadly force.

THIS. Wayyyyy more legal trouble than it's worth.

If the laws and peoples attitudes change about this sort of thing, you would see crime like this vanish overnight. But, as Marsha herself has said, "We[the .gov] don't encourage self help".

THIS. Wayyyyy more legal trouble than it's worth.

If the laws and peoples attitudes change about this sort of thing, you would see crime like this vanish overnight. But, as Marsha herself has said, "We[the .gov] don't encourage self help".

Marsha can self help herself to my hairy bean bag....

This!

In this case the victim went unharmed so anyone saying draw made the wrong decision as her life wasnt REALLY in jeopardy as proved by the facts that played out.
By not preparing to use the gun, the victim in this case would be turning the ability to decide how the situation were to play out if the aggressor indeed had a gun over to the aggressor. This is a gamble that can go either way, and an a posteri analysis of a given situation does not indicate what the best decision would have been given the information available at the time.

This!

In this case the victim went unharmed so anyone saying draw made the wrong decision as her life wasnt REALLY in jeopardy as proved by the facts that played out. I am against hyptheticals and role play stories. If I ever had to use my gun defensively, I wouldnt want the attorney pulling up my post history showing all the hypotheticals where I said "kill him". The facts played out and she lived so lets call good for her and move on. If she was shot and killed that is another story and we can all circle jerk about how quick we would have shot the perp. Each case is different and we werent there so its all lame to monday morning quarterback.
If the attacker already has you at gun point, can you draw and fire quicker than he can pull the trigger? I sure can't, I'm no Lance Thomas.

Back
Top Bottom