Can the U.S. Constitution be "suspended" for any reason?

I do not believe so. I would just like to put the question out there. Anyone out there with a law or history background may be of much help with any comments they have. I welcome any replies, by all members of the site here, of course.

Parts of it get suspended sometimes, which is what the courts are for.

[h=2]Can the U.S. Constitution be "suspended" for any reason?[/h]

It already has.

Look at "secret federal court dockets" (well, actually, you can't look at them); trial-less detention; the NSA; etc.

I'm guessing the OP is thinking more along the lines of martial law, in which case I believe the constitution can be temporarily suspended. BUT I am not a lawyer so don't take my word for it.

"Can the U.S. Constitution be suspended?"

Not the one I swore to Protect and Defend...

You have to it slowly over about 150 years.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Lawfully? No. But can it be suspended for any reason? Yes, in the literal sense. Literally any reason. When you realize the people who do the most to pervert it only have any authority to begin with because of the constitution, you realize how corrupt they actually are.

Can't pin it all on Obama.

I call BS!

When Bush was President, everything was blamed on him, including 9/11, which happened, what, 8 months into his Presidency? Clinton got credit for the good economy built by Reagan and Bush I, Bush gets blamed for Clinton's horribly accommodative foreign policy, and Obama gets blamed for nothing.

The measure of a President is not based on advancing his agenda - this is easy if he controls both houses of Congress. (It would be if Democrats weren't feckless incompetents, anyway.) No, the measure of a President is based on preventing crises before they start, and dealing with crises that come up along the way. In this respect, Obama is an abject failure.

Disclaimer: I thought Bush was a terrible President, but I agreed with most of his political views. I just think his communication and execution were horrible.

/rant

Last edited:
Constitution can never be suspended, it's The Law of the Land.

It's just that periodically we have tyrants and agencies who ignore most of it or at least constantly ignoring some of it.

If the Constitution can "be suspended" - then what's the point in having it in the first place?

Allowing it to be "suspended" for ANY reason - means that you're giving the carte blanche to the government to just go find that reason and make it permanent.

Whalla!!! - No more pesky Constitution!

Remember when Gov.Devil would usher in a state of emergency due to snow storms and on several occasions they threatened that anyone on the roads after curfew could be subject to fines (unless you were emergency services).

Remember when Gov.Devil would usher in a state of emergency due to snow storms and on several occasions they threatened that anyone on the roads after curfew could be subject to fines (unless you were emergency services).
I know someone who was plowing and got a fine for breaking that curfew.

I call BS!

When Bush was President, everything was blamed on him, including 9/11, which happened, what, 8 months into his Presidency? Clinton got credit for the good economy built by Reagan and Bush I, Bush gets blamed for Clinton's horribly accommodative foreign policy, and Obama gets blamed for nothing.
The USA PATRIOT Act was signed into law by Bush, meaning it would not have existed otherwise. Then Obama renewed it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act
The USA PATRIOT Act is an Act of Congress that was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 26, 2001. The title of the act is a ten-letter backronym (USA PATRIOT) that stands for Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001.[SUP][1]
[/SUP]On May 26, 2011, President Barack Obama signed the PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011, a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act:[SUP][2][/SUP]roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the "library records provision"), and conducting surveillance of "lone wolves"—individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups.[SUP][3][/SUP]
No amount of emo whinging about Bush being blamed for other things can change the facts.

I do not believe so. I would just like to put the question out there. Anyone out there with a law or history background may be of much help with any comments they have. I welcome any replies, by all members of the site here, of course.

Short answer, yes. Already has been numerous times, e.g. Japanese Americans in WW2.

President Lincoln really got the ball rolling on violating the Constitution, imprisoning his political enemies without trial, shutting down newspapers that opposed him, arresting duly elected officials by the hundreds.

Though it pains me to say it I eventually came to the conclusion Lincoln was a mass-murdering war criminal, we (i.e. the North) were the "bad guys" in the Civil War and that Washington and Jefferson's these united States died at Gettysburg.

Back
Top Bottom