Can someone time me what this is on a shell?

I was going through all the shells I had cleaned that were given to me by a friend and ran across some that had this marking all the way around the shell. The head-stamp on this one is an R P. I did not look at even one that I found these markings on.

So does this come from the firearm used or something else. Just wondering. Thanks.

D2BFA3F9-E190-4868-96CF-9ED471CF0204.jpegD4CE8618-764D-4796-8E7F-71A9F031F1DF.jpeg

Yeah, 9mm Luger, aka 9x19, Remington brass.

A headstamp comes from the ammunition manufacturer, not the gun. Each ammo manufacturer headstamps brass. Headstamp ID is its own little world. If you get into collecting or shooting foreign calibers like 7.62x54r, .303 British, surplus 7.62 NATO, etc., then its a good way to figure out where your ammo came from.

Thanks guys, but I was trying to ask and did a poor job is what is that ring around the shell in the second picture?

I circled the area I was questioning. I know about the head stamps as I spent a few hours separating them by head stamp yesterday.

I just keep seeing these ever once in awhile and was wondering what makes this marking.

2AA7D233-F17A-401F-B724-8B71B8F81083.jpeg

That ring around the outside of the shell is from being loaded and reloaded into a mag many times for a long period of time.
Carry ammo, unloaded so cheap range shit can be loaded, and then reloaded into the magazine. I have carry ammo that was bought years and years ago.
Every now and then, I just shoot it when I decide it's time to replace it.

I was sorting through a ton of 9mm I had over the past couple of weeks and I swear that 9 of 10 cases that I found with that marking were Aguila cases. I thought that was just their thing. I tossed them because it seemed like it could weaken the sidewalls, but that was just a guess.

From Glock Talk:

"Crimped military brass, WCC, might be wrong, but always thought it was Winchester Cart Company
The line is where the bullet base comes to when loaded and this was "crimped in" to prevent push back.
You can buy a crimp tool to do this at home when reloading
Re size and remove primer crimp and reload normally after that.
Safe to reload is yes, in my opinion, just used military brass. "

-chris

I just grabbed these out of the trash. All but one (RP), was head stamped with a variation of “ F C”.

I think I will pass on using them.

I also decided after separating all the cases that they are doing into bags of:
Win
RP
Blazer
FC
PMC
Other

rE579805E-F427-4785-9985-BDA071BBFEC9.jpeg77F8E450-7E1F-4F56-8820-4D68FF836B5D.jpeg

Very interesting.

My problem with the ones I am seeing is they do not appear a set distance from either the top or bottom.
Aggravates the shit out of me how you can talk to the women in your life until youre blue in the face and they wont act but the minute they read some article somewhere or one of their dipshit friends says more or less the same thing youve been trying to get across to them forever, they spring into action.
View attachment 345078Its a crimp to reduce setback of the bullet.
Heres a WWI era 45 acp

The primer in the first photo exhibits "cratering" a sign of high pressure. Unless it was possibly Golden Saber carry load, I'd say that piece of brass was a reload.

Very interesting.

My problem with the ones I am seeing is they do not appear a set distance from either the top or bottom.
dependent on bullet weight,style and over all length for the combination, where the machine puts the crimp ect ect......I think it all depends on end result from the manufacture.
It could be below the bullet to keep it from setting back, it might be crimped just enough to engage the bullet or mayb even if they are really good placing the crimp in a grove on the bullet---I find this unlikely.

That ring around the outside of the shell is from being loaded and reloaded into a mag many times for a long period of time.
No it's not.

This cannelure-like feature is put in by the manufacturer as a feature to prevent bullet setback. Some manufacturers put it on "carry" ammo (as opposed to range or practice ammo), as they know that carried rounds tend to get chambered and unchambered frequently. That groove creates a sort of shoulder inside the case that sits just behind the bullet, giving it something besides mouth tension to keep it from moving back.

The feature presents no issues during reloading unless you seat a longer-than-original bullet that will cause a bulge when it's forced past the internal shoulder. This may or may not keep the loaded round from fitting into a gage, but is unlikely to affect chambering.

The primer in the first photo exhibits "cratering" a sign of high pressure. Unless it was possibly Golden Saber carry load, I'd say that piece of brass was a reload.
Probably not a pressure sign. Some guns leave the primer like that. I have a Beretta 92 that does it on every round.

Back
Top Bottom