• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can someone please explain this?

GPP

20161026_180039.jpg
20161026_180051.jpg

That is a factory Hornady .300 BO case separated extremely cleanly after firing. The other piece is in the chamber, hopefully you can see. It was a 110gr V Max round @2350 FPS fired from a YHM 10.5" upper. This happened once last night, and once tonight. I have never seen this happen in my entire time around firearms, guys Ive discussed this with have said the same, bizarre. Both rounds came from the same lot #, and obviously Ill be in touch with Hornady tomorrow, but Im curious as to what the guys who reload have to say.
Thanks,
Glen

Case head separation. If it's happening on the first loading it could be a bad lot of brass. Is your headspace in spec?

Case head separation. If it's happening on the first loading it could be a bad lot of brass. Is your headspace in spec?

Headspace is my first thought as well. That separation is right where the web thins out - typically that's where brass reloaded several times will let go.

Alternately the shoulder could be set back too far on that lot of ammo replicating headspace issues, but that seems less likely.

View attachment 180643
View attachment 180644

That is a factory Hornady .300 BO case separated extremely cleanly after firing. The other piece is in the chamber, hopefully you can see. It was a 110gr V Max round @2350 FPS fired from a YHM 10.5" upper. This happened once last night, and once tonight. I have never seen this happen in my entire time around firearms, guys Ive discussed this with have said the same, bizarre. Both rounds came from the same lot #, and obviously Ill be in touch with Hornady tomorrow, but Im curious as to what the guys who reload have to say.
Thanks,
Glen

Contact hornady, check your headspace, hornady has not always had the best brass.

I had the same thing happen with Fiocchi .223 in my Valmet. The same ammo works fine in my AR. Other ammo works fine in my Valmet. I don't have headspace gages so I don't know if my Valmet has a headspace problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a pretty even break. I would think the brass was defective.

If the brass were fully supported, it is highly unlikely it would separate like this. As others have said, this is most likely a combination of weak brass and loose headspace. Hornady should stand behind it (Tula stood behind theirs when it happened to me) but get the headspace checked professionally and adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom