Can someone explain to me "Close the gun show loophole"?

daveshrews

NES Member
I'm a law-abiding gun owner who has never been to a gun show, and only purchased guns through dealers. I've heard about "closing the gun show loophole" for a while, but after a recent stroll with one of my lefty "friends" past the giant sign near Fenway Park that says "We Sell Guns", and hearing him comment about it, I realized I don't know enough factual information about the "loophole" to make an educated comment.

I've read about the issue online, but I feel that everything I've read is very one-sided from anti-gunners. I would like to hear from some gun owners on the matter... I'm just trying to get some perspective on what these "close the loophole" people are talking about.

Thanks!

The sign in question: http://imgur.com/q6EG6.jpg

http://imgur.com/q6EG6.jpg

There is no loophole. Either you buy from a dealer, who does a background check, you buy from a private party doing a legal FTF transfer, or you break the law. It's exactly the same as buying a gun NOT at a show.

As noted above. There is no such thing. It's an attempt by the antis to outlaw private, FTF sales.

There is no "loophole", this is a myth derived from the leftist agenda.

Every gun sold in this state privately face to face, at a gun show, or thru a dealer legally has to have an FA-10 form filed on it. The FA-10 registers that firearm to the induvidual that bought it, and all the seller and buyer information is recorded on that form.

So, if you go to a gun show in state and buy a gun, you'll likely be filling out an FA-10 right there, and the selling party is responsible for sending it in to the state.

As a Mass resident if you visit an out of state gun show.....

A) You cannot buy a handgun or you violate Federal law, unless the handgun is mailed directly to a MA dealer, and is MA compliant. I'll not go into the misery of those laws....

B) If you buy a long gun, you may purchase it usually filling out the federal form first, but need to file an FA-10 form and send it to the CHSB within 7 days of the firearm being brought into MA.

There are no loopholes and the state can easily track said gun via the FA-10 form of registration we have currently unter MA law.

Last edited:
That is precisely what I thought. Good, I'm not crazy. Thank you for clarifying that. Okay, that big fat sign on the Mass Pike really pisses me off now.

I've read about the issue online, but I feel that everything I've read is very one-sided from anti-gunners.

that's all that it is.

Funny thing about that sign- when I first moved to this state and went to a game back in '03, I initially thought there was a sweet gun store near fenway or something like that. The quick glance turned into a harder look then I realized that Massachusetts was, indeed, as bad as my family had told and warned me about.

Exactly what the others have said. The word "loophole" is substituted for "breaking the law". There's nothing to close. In the case of MA, what they'd like to do is make it so you aren't able to sell your guns to another licensed individual, which is further infringement upon our rights.

Silly question, but if you buy from a private party at a gun show are they required to make sure you have a FID or LTC?

Yes, all firearm transfers at a gun show must comply with state law regarding personal transfers. This is, of course, dependent on the state the gun show takes place in. I'm pretty sure a NH gun show could not sell handguns to a MA resident, unless a MA FFL could be involved before the transfer took place (which would probably mean a later date). But you do not need a FID/LTC for mere possession in NH, even for personal transfers, so therefore it would not be required between NH residents... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I could be off base...but I think this term originated from the "free states". In MA we have a framework of the LTC/FID w/FA10 system in place. In other states it is legal to do a FTF transfer with only an age check. In theory a criminal over 21 (or 18 or whatever) can go to a gun show and buy a gun from an ordinary citizen with proof of age (loophole here). An FFL will always run a Fed BG check, a citizen can not.

I could be off base...but I think this term originated from the "free states". In MA we have a framework of the LTC/FID w/FA10 system in place. In other states it is legal to do a FTF transfer with only an age check. In theory a criminal over 21 (or 18 or whatever) can go to a gun show and buy a gun from an ordinary citizen with proof of age (loophole here). An FFL will always run a Fed BG check, a citizen can not.

There is no loophole. In those states, a criminal could procure a firearm via a FTF transaction without the gun show. The only way to close the 'loophole' is to get rid of FTF private transfers. The day that happens will NOT be a good day. For anyone.

The "gun show loophole law" would make all private firearms sales illegal. This is supposed to somehow prevent illegal gun sales. But it makes no sense because illegal sales are already illegal. In reality all the law would do is prevent a licensed individual from selling a firearm to another licensed individual in the same state.

The fact that it's called the "gun show loophole" is actually moronic because the last place you would want to illegally sell a firearm is at a gun show. There's usually a police detail and you might even run into the ATF.

Kudo's to the OP for joining GOAL and going green.

Make no mistake, FTF sales are a big deal. If they become illegal and everything has to be transferred thru a dealer the level of control .gov has becomes exponential. All guns will have to go thru a dealer, which has dibilitating laws in itself already.

However, The anti's will then shift the focus on laws beating down gun dealers til they become non-existent in this state. Essentially killing firearm sales completely. There was a lot focus on one gun a month, I think FTF is way a way more important issue.

The federal form still needs to be filled out. If a anyone fills out that form fraudulently that's a federal crime! Therefor no loop hole!! A crime has been committed and no need for additional laws.

The federal form still needs to be filled out. If a anyone fills out that form fraudulently that's a federal crime! Therefor no loop hole!! A crime has been committed and no need for additional laws.

The federal form only applies to FFL sales. In most states, no paperwork is required for a FTF sale.

When I went to my 1st gun show i was expecting guns to be given away as you walked in the door. Just like a gun shop you can't even hold the guns without your lic in hand let alone buy anything

The federal form only applies to FFL sales. In most states, no paperwork is required for a FTF sale.

This is the so called "loophole" they speak of....it doesn't apply in MA, because your must have a valid LTC and the FA-10 must be filled out for a legal sale.

You should not need a background check to buy a gun from a FFL or neighbor, period. You should not need one to exercise any civil right. The only "loophole" I see is the "Brady Bill", which should be repealed.

I'm a law-abiding gun owner who has never been to a gun show, and only purchased guns through dealers. I've heard about "closing the gun show loophole" for a while, but after a recent stroll with one of my lefty "friends" past the giant sign near Fenway Park that says "We Sell Guns", and hearing him comment about it, I realized I don't know enough factual information about the "loophole" to make an educated comment.

I've read about the issue online, but I feel that everything I've read is very one-sided from anti-gunners. I would like to hear from some gun owners on the matter... I'm just trying to get some perspective on what these "close the loophole" people are talking about.

Thanks!

The sign in question: http://imgur.com/q6EG6.jpg

http://imgur.com/q6EG6.jpg

People think the "gun show loophole" means that unlicensed people can go and get firearms at the show.

While this may be the case in other states where a license is not required, it does not happen here in MA (legally).
In other states you can buy guns from individuals without a license and thus those who are disqualified from owning a gun can go and purchase one where a background check is not required.
In truth it really has very little to do with the gun show. You can do that with or without a show.

There is no loophole. In those states, a criminal could procure a firearm via a FTF transaction without the gun show. The only way to close the 'loophole' is to get rid of FTF private transfers. The day that happens will NOT be a good day. For anyone.

the "loophole" exists hoerver, you are correct that a gun show is not needed. Its just a colorful way for the anti's to paint gun shows and make people worry about the "evil" lurking in the parking lots of these events.

If they were in any way serious about "keeping guns out of the hands of criminals" they'd simply open up NICS to anyone who called. As it is, even someone who wanted to be careful about selling a gun to someone FTF has no simple way of checking them out outside of going thru a FFL.

NOTE: I am not advocating this as some kind of mandatory system, merely pointing out that as usual, the Antis make a claim of some terrible "problem" and then avoid doing something simple that would address said "problem."

Not to hijack the thread or anything but I was wonderin'

Is Underwhere's avatar a picture of the new Semi-Auto, Large Capacity, Hand Held "Pee Shooter" [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom