• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can someone explain this to me ?

Ok, But some of these can not be sold by a dealer. So when you say " if a handgun is not on that list.....it cannot be bought new in Massachusetts "

Whats the deal ?

pretty simple.....if a handgun is not on that list.....it cannot be bought new in Massachusetts.

And most FFL's will not transfer it. But this list does not impact buying any guns from another instater in a face to face transaction. You will sometimes hear people saying a particular handgun is illegal to own in MA. This largely is not the case (if it is alrready in MA) it is just not dealer transferable. Moral of the story if you have firearms not on this list do your best to keep them in state when you decide to sell. Because once they go away chances of them coming back in are very slim. And if you are an out of stater thinking of moving here don't sell your guns before you move to lighten your packing. You can bring them in with you on a move. Note I am not a lawyer and this is my understanding of the rules. But if I am wrong I am sure I will be slammed and corrected and that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Ok, But some of these can not be sold by a dealer. So when you say " if a handgun is not on that list.....it cannot be bought new in Massachusetts "

Whats the deal ?

if it is on the list.....i can be sold by a dealer......

i assume your thrown off by the glocks and such.......lemme explain.

a gun must be MASS compliant......that means it must be sold with a 10lb trigger pull, 10 round magazine, and external safety, and a few other odds and ends....

or, if i am not mistaken, it must be pre-ban....

and then there are guns sold only to LEO.

Thanks Red, Some of these Ma. Laws are just a little screwey to say the least !!! So the entire list is ok in Ma. just it is most likley you wont be buying a new one in Ma.

Look at the list, drink a couple belts of some high test whiskey and dream of living in a free state!

Look at the list, drink a couple belts of some high test whiskey and dream of living in a free state!

Or if you realy want to make yourself ill drive to Cabellas and look at the size of the display cases they (CT) get to choose from. All shiny and new.

Sorry VT, ME and NH folks I am sure you have your big shops too. I know I just torture myself at Cabellas when I bring my daughter back to school in CT so that is what pops into my mind if I dare let it wander.

Last edited:

Whats the deal ?

Because diagrams always help me, here's my stab at explaining What You Can Buy In MA From a Thirty Thousand Foot View.

Figure 1:
MA_law_venn_diagram.png

The circle "All Firearms" is just that, every make and model in current or past production available for sale in the United States. It's a big circle. I've made it small so you don't have to scroll to the sides a lot. An example of one of these firearms: Colt M1911 Series 80.

The circle labeled "EEOPS Roster" is a subset of the first circle. This is the maximum list of transferable firearms in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by a dealer. These firearms have met the statutory requirements of MA law (drop test, etc etc). An example of one of these firearms: Glock 19.

The last, and smallest, circle is "AG 'Approved'". These are the firearms that a dealer can transfer/sell to you, the common schmoe with a license. An example of one of these firearms: Smith & Wesson M&P9.

Then how, you ask, does one buy something in the "All Firearms" or even the "EEOPS Roster" circles? One of two ways: (a) private sale on a FA-10 (say, for the Colt) from an individual or (b) the firearm was legally held in MA prior to the passage of Ch. 180 in 1998 (for the Glock) from a dealer.

POST-SCRIPT: As for the AG "approved" section... don't think of it as a fixed circle. It's more a ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff. It can change at any moment.

Don't try to understand the MA gun laws or you'll hurt your brain.

^ this ^

i've been back here for 7+ years and still don't get it...

*assuming I have the extra cash*

1. if i see a deal on a Face-to-Face gun - i'll buy it

2. if i see something at a store that catches my eye - i'll buy it

that is all. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom