Can one build an AR/ AR PISTOL out of an unregistered prehealy lower?

AR - yes.
AR pistol - very hard to do without running afoul of the AWB(you can do a fixed mag but that's, well, it's allowed anyway)
10 rounds - only in a preban magazine

AR - yes.
AR pistol - very hard to do without running afoul of the AWB(you can do a fixed mag but that's, well, it's allowed anyway)
10 rounds - only in a preban magazine

thanks for replying. So as long as it’s purchased prehealy, it doesn’t necessarily have to be registered prior 07/20/2016?

I see. This might sound stupid but I wonder why people can just get a Glock frames then put it together with a slide then register it. On the other hand, When it comes at pistol, the build has to meet the AWB requirements.

There are different sets of rules for assault rifles vs assault pistols.

There are different sets of rules for assault rifles vs assault pistols.

dont AR PISTOL AND NORMAL PISTOLS USE THE SAME SET OF RULES? Please correct me if I’m wrong

dont AR PISTOL AND NORMAL PISTOLS USE THE SAME SET OF RULES? Please correct me if I’m wrong

Handguns/Pistols:
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm

Handguns/Pistols:
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm

Makes sense now. Thank you very much sir

The problem is that its nearly impossible to build an AR pistol that weighs less than 50 oz.

During the Federal AWB, Olympic Arms came up with an AR pistol called the AW08.
See photo below
It was a heavily lightened AR based pistol.
Given today's polymer frame tech,you cold probably build one pretty easily with a plastic lower.

Also, a recently deceased brand named Starlos actually made a plastic lower parts kit. Which saves another couple of ounces.

The bottom line is that you need to get the weight below 50 OZ on a pre-healey lower.

The combination of
Plastic lower
"slick" upper without a forward assist
Thin barrel with pistol length gas system
A2 grip
Plastic, CF, or magnesium handguard
gutted buffer - this works great, no need for a fancy lightened buffer. Just pull the weights from a standard buffer.
semi-auto bolt carrier - lighter than full auto that most ARs come with these days.

Should get you there.

To get even lighter a
1) plastic lower parts kit
2) aluminum gas block

could be added to the recipe.

I'm not saying you couldn't get there with a standard lower. But you may have to start getting into high dollar esoteric parts. Like titaniumbolt carriers.olympic-arms-oa-98-223-rem.jpgolympic-arms-oa-98-223-rem.jpg

Back
Top Bottom