• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can my wife sell my gun?

A.K.

NES Member
Can my wife legally sell the gun I bought?

Before your imagination lead you too far, I am out of personal transfers, and my wife still has some. Would it be legal for her to sell my gun (gun I bought a while ago) via efa-10? My wife is fully licensed.

Please share your wisdom.

Can my wife legally sell the gun I bought?

Before your imagination lead you too far, I am out of personal transfers, and my wife still has some. Would it be legal for her to sell my gun (gun I bought a while ago) via efa-10? My wife is fully licensed.

Please share your wisdom.

My first inclination without looking it up is no because it's in your name. If I'm wrong, Len or Mike will slap me upside my head.

OTOH, since it's in your name, maybe the ATF will call it a straw sale; not a straw buy. Only kidding. [laugh]

Unless your dead I would say no, gun is in your name must be sold by you.If you have done your four EFA-10 for the year then go threw an FFL.

Unless your dead I would say no, gun is in your name must be sold by you.
House, car, boat, RV, real estate can be in your name, but still considered joint marital property. What about guns?

House, car, boat, RV, real estate can be in your name, but still considered joint marital property. What about guns?

If the guns are under his name they are his,unless they get a divorce,and the Judge orders them to liquidate all assets.when something like that happens it,s all up to what is agreed in court.He would still have to transfer them EFA-10,or an FFL.As for when he dies,I will let Len jump in on that one because I am not sure on some details.

Sell it to her at an ffl. She can then do as she wishes.

Sure, but there's no point. He'd incur a transfer fee on the sale to her, only so that she can FTF it. If he's willing to pay that fee, might as well cut her out entirely.

You can see if the buyer will go halvsies, but I'd pony up and eat the fee. In my view, if the seller's the one requiring the FFL, then he ought to pay the whole fee. Fair's fair.

I just want to make something clear, this question was absolutely NOT about $20 savings on FFL fee.

I just want to make something clear, this question was absolutely NOT about $20 savings on FFL fee.

Okay...

Then go with what Fixxah said in post #8. Knock yourself out; seems like an extra step and a waste of time, but whatever floats your boat.

Meaning no disrespect, if it isn't then what is the issue? Is the gun in question non-transferable by a MA FFL?

If that's the case your options are to sell it out of state or delay selling it until January.

Meaning no disrespect, if it isn't then what is the issue? Is the gun in question non-transferable by a MA FFL?

If that's the case your options are to sell it out of state or delay selling it until January.
Or find an FFL willing to do a frame only transfer. Even a revolver can likely be made a non-gun under MGL by removing the cylinder and yolk (or crane if you prefer that nomenclature).

There are such FFLs out there and no, I will not out them on this forum.

Regardless of what they may be "considered", only the person whose name is on the paperwork can sell them (absent a court order). Same with a gun.

Back
Top Bottom