Can lube on ammo cause FTE?

I use a Ruger SR9C as my EDC. I've run boxes of CCI Blazer Brass and WWB through it with no malfunctions, and carry Hornady Critical Defense XTP. Today, I decided to "flush" the current batch of Hornady rounds that have been sitting in the magazine for months. I noticed that the top cartridge had a tiny bit of lube on it--not a significant amount, but enough that it was glossy and felt greasy to the touch. That round fired but the brass stovepiped. I cleared the jam and fired the next round. Fired, but the slide failed to return to battery. Third round also failed to return to battery. The remaining seven rounds fed and fired without problems.

Could the malfunctions have been caused by excessive lube leeching into the magazine and onto the ammo--or would that just dud those rounds instead of causing a FTE? Could this be a problem with the ammo itself?

Can it? Yes.
Should it? No.

It is an indication of a marginal condition/malfunction.

Without begin able to see the gun, the first place I usually look after basic cleanliness and over lube/grease of the slide, is the slide return spring and the ejector. Softening spring will make going back into battery more prone to failure, but will often show first in sensitivity to normal debris after putting a few mags through.

A worn ejector will show stove-pipes or other FTE with debris/lube/contaminant in the chamber.

Some guns have a wider margin than others for such things, so the issue can range from need a new spring and/or ejector to "gun needs to be cleaned more often".

Last edited:
an sr9c has to be fully disassembled and thoroughly cleaned before it will function. might not be all the problem but is prolly part of it. also critical defense ammo has issues with this gun, ive had trouble with it and so have others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom